PDA

View Full Version : Lee Breech Lock Hand Held Press

Bayou52
12-17-2014, 10:37 AM
Hi, Guys -

I ordered one of these little tools today. I was hoping to use it to free me up from the bench press from time to time. More reloading from the couch, for example. :bigsmyl2:

Anyway, I suspect it will be used for those stages not requiring the application of much force. Like de-priming and flaring/belling. I haven't received the tool yet to try it out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NOQIFO/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687622&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0050Z5A6E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0T0VR5EWWV0WNKQJPSSD

Question - have any of y'all used this tool before, and if so, are there any helpful tips/hints you could pass along to make things smoother/easier?

Thanks, All -

Bayou52

kencha
12-17-2014, 10:49 AM
I have one of the older, non-breech-lock hand presses.

It is dedicated to depriming with a universal depriming die. I like to deprime the brass as a separate initial step prior to cleaning (SS pins/wet tumble).

A couple of issues...

You learn how to position your hands pretty quickly to avoid pinching or rapping your knuckles when a tight/crimped primer lets loose.

The primer reservoir (hollowed out ram) doesn't hold very many spent primers. If you don't pay attention, and cram a few extra in there, it can be a pain to clean them out.

Neither issue is a deal killer for me. I still use it to deprime everything.

gunoil
12-17-2014, 10:51 AM
I could only load 380, its what i started on! I loaded zillon 380 watchin tv. Iam not strong enough to do 9mm on it buy 380's great.

4 years ago: Now have 1050 & loadmaster
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/null_zps8d562a39.jpg (http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/putt2012/media/null_zps8d562a39.jpg.html)

opos
12-17-2014, 11:21 AM
I have a breechlock Hand Press..I've loaded 38 special...357 mag...45 Colt with it...and I really like it....I have a Classic Cast single stage that I use for rifle rounds as it's better for the longer cases when resizing...We are having a big rainstorm right now and it's not comfortable to be out in the garage where my bench is..so I got the Hand Press in the house..and finishing up some 38's and some 7mm's...doing some priming, charging and bullet seating in cases that were already prepped (I use the little Lee "ram prime" on the hand press and while slow, it is safe and works really well..it's just a handy little tool for fill in here and there and always works without any issues....one thing..the breech lock feature works either for the press or for the hand press but does not work back and forth..the settings are different but that's no big deal. I weigh every load..use a 505 beam scale and a trickler after dipping with a lee dipper to get close to the load...it's not fast but it's accurate and works for me.

dudel
12-17-2014, 11:40 AM
I have one of the new ones with the breechlock. I like the press a lot; but would have been fine without the breechlock.

The press works well; just mind you keep your fingers and palms clear. The press can take a bite out of them if not careful. When I'm putting pressure on the press, I try to do it with hands open.

Empting the ram of spent primers can be messy. One tip I picked up here was to put a baggie over the ram, then tip it over. That catches all the spent primers and any primer smutz that accumulated in the ram. Keeps things cleaners and safer.

Also works great with the Lee push through sizers. Use it upside down!

Beagle333
12-17-2014, 11:41 AM
I got a breechlock version. I have loaded a bazillion and a half rounds with it. I love it. Keep it very lightly oiled, and if using it to size, run the die out so that the handle closes all the way (if you have that much room) and it will give you much more leverage than if it is halfway open.

GhostHawk
12-17-2014, 11:58 AM
I have the newer version with Breechlock. For almost 6 months this was my only press.

So I reloaded 7.62x54r, 7.62x39, 9mm. Lately I have branched out into .45acp, 38 special, and .357 mag.

What I learned?

A When sizing use a GOOD quality sizing wax like Imperial. Don't skimp.

For Rifle rounds, it is often easier to deprime first. Like with a lee loader punch and block. It depends on what you like, what you want to do.

B There are some operations that may require a bit more force than you can come up with. Keep a small/medium rubber hammer handy.
Even when just sizing bullets (Which it does well) Every so often you'll get one that has fishbones or is just enough bigger that it doesn't want to go through. Don't beat yourself up. One or 2 well placed smacks with the rubber hammer will punch it through.

C Working from a comfortable chair, your computer, your couch is addictive. Get a good Hand Prime unit to complement your press.
I chose the RCBS Universal. No shellholders, ever. Simple change over from large to small primers. Rugged, reliable, heck this thing could almost be a Ruger! Don't skimp here, find something that works for you.

D It is a Dance, once you find the rhythm you'll be fine. I size, neck expand, prime, then charge cases taking each shell from one loading block, to another. On the left are empty's, they are upside down. On the right are charged cases, right side up. Take a case, match it with a Boolit, move it to the Hand press in your lap, slide case into shell holder, double check boolit is straight, slide, glide, press, down and POOF! Another perfect round to place in the box. Repeat.

I bought my Hand press because

A I'm not in a hurry, single stage is fine. I enjoy the time spent. It calms, soothes and relaxes me.

B I like to "Feel" each operation, feel the differences. To me this is most important when seating boolits.

C I have a bench but it is a working tool bench, not where I want to reload.
I have a table where I reload but it really is not sturdy enough to put a press on. I have one, a cheap Lee C type that lives with the neck expander die in it.

D I often take parts upstairs and watch TV in my super comfy 2 place loveseat recliner.

Your mileage may vary, but this is what works for me.

Ohh and for every set of dies get at least 2 quick change collars. 1 for each sizing die you use often, and 3 or 4 more for things you have not thought of yet.

I REALLY love the quick change aspect

prsman23
12-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Been using mine lately to load while on the couch. Not quick. But from the comfort of my living room and if you are consistent you can make very very good ammo.

jmort
12-17-2014, 12:17 PM
I don't deprime with it. Too messy. Great feel for priming with the Ram Prime. Great for handgun cartridges. I also do .30-30 .223 and .308 but I think it is best with my .357 and 9mm.

daboone
12-17-2014, 12:56 PM
I've done a bunch of bullet seating with it on several load work ups out in the field/range. It's excellent for that purpose.

Depriming with it is a bit of a pain simply because of the primer containment. It is easy to use for small batches. I have not done any sizing with it. I assume it'll require serious force when sizing.

I do have Lee's Lock-Ring Eliminator bushings. I've set these up with the seating dies and they are IMO worth the extra bucks for that purpose. But if your just belling and depriming the regular bushing will serve very well.

All in all it is about the same as the Little lee reloader press as far as construction. It will serve you well and is easy to use especially with the breach lock adapter.

The bottom line is it is an excellent press for small volume handloading. It is PERFECT for range box reloading or a bug out bag with dippers. I'm glad I have it and have no problem recommending it to anyone.

Oh and a neat feature with it, like the little Lee Reloader press, is you can tighten the bolt/nuts to keep the lever arm in a temporary static position so you don't have travel the whole distance of the ram with the lever on each and every stroke. That makes since when bullet seating or depriming. I think priming would be a PITA but like the depriming I'm spoiled because of the tools for those purposes on my bench.

jmort
12-17-2014, 01:11 PM
"I do have Lee's Lock-Ring Eliminator bushings. I've set these up with the seating dies and they are IMO worth the extra bucks for that purpose."

That is a great point I neglected. I have completely converted to the Lock-Ring Eliminator Bushings. Then it is truly set it and forget it deal.

mdi
12-17-2014, 01:25 PM
For you fellers that reload while watching TV, good luck !:veryconfu. I'm hoping that when you say "reloading" you mean sizing/depriming and re-priming only!

I've owned a Lee Hand press for many years and have done eveything with it that I've done with a single stage bench press except reload 30-06 ammo, and that's just because I haven't tried (I've sized/deprimed/primed .44 Mag., .44 Special, 38/357. Sized lead bullets for .357 and .44. And seated and crimped. On one occasion, reloaded a couple boxes of .223, beginning to end. Can't remember if I did any 30-30 though). No leverage problems...

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-17-2014, 01:37 PM
I have 2 and use them to deprime 45 acp and 38 spl cases. I load these 2 cartridges on my Star universals and find that it keeps my presses much, much cleaner if I deprime and then clean the brass before loading. I am just picky about stuff like that.

JASON4X4
12-17-2014, 01:41 PM
I have one and use it on the couch watching tv to deprime. I have never used it for anything else yet

charlie b
12-17-2014, 01:59 PM
FWIW, if you ever want to do more at the kitchen table or on the coffee table, find one of the original maple boxes that came with the first of the Lee turret presses. It holds the press for storage and transport. Then you open up the box to about 30deg and bolt the press to it. Makes a good sturdy mount that can be used almost anywhere. I put some rubber feet on it so it would not scratch the coffee table.

Loaded thousands of rounds with it, and, yes, in front of the TV, including powder charging and bullet seating. Never had a double charge or squib load with it. The box was also big enough to hold a second turret for another caliber (I mostly load .45acp and .357 magnum).

r1kk1
12-17-2014, 08:03 PM
"Knuckle Buster" goes with me on hunting trips. It retired from range duty this year as I have a Summit mounted to a Rock Dock for that purpose. I've done quite a few rifle cartridges with it including 45-70. I have the pre Breechlock version.

take care

r1kk1

kenyerian
12-17-2014, 08:21 PM
I like mine. I like to use it to work up new loads. When I get one fine tuned than I will set up one of my presses to make a large run. Very easy to make adjustments on and to switch dies.

Springfield
12-17-2014, 11:02 PM
I bought one for an emergency press. De-primed a bunch of shells with it twice. I hope I never use that thing again, just SOOO much easier to use a bench mounted press. FWIW I have a small TV and radio in my shop, so I don't need to do any reloading in the living room.

rmatchell
12-17-2014, 11:22 PM
They are great for most everything. The only real issue I had was if I didn't empty the spent primers out and couldnt take the shell holder out. I even would take it with me to load on work trips when I was stuck in the motel room.

hickfu
12-18-2014, 12:33 AM
I Love mine, I use it to seat and crimp at the range when working up new loads for new rifles.... I have a 550b for handgun rounds and a RCBS RC for rifle.

shtur
12-18-2014, 01:38 AM
I work out of town occasionally. I bought one to deprime, and resize pistol brass in my hotel room at evening. It works great for that application.