PDA

View Full Version : 1292 tumbler

twc1964
12-17-2014, 07:38 AM
Ok guys, back in the mid eighties i bought a midway 1292 tumbler . I used it quite a bit and its now dying fast. I was told that midway brand tumblers are guaranteed for life. Has anyone sent one back and recieved a free new one? I have read many posts on other forums where they just swap em out with a frankfort arsenal model. They are now trying to beat me out of gettin a free one by skirting the subject on their emails to me, but i guess i will just keep hounding em. Thx guys.

imashooter2
12-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Guaranteed for life? First time I've ever heard that. I doubt that it is true, but I'd be happy to be wrong. Good luck!

RickinTN
12-17-2014, 08:33 AM
My understanding is they are guaranteed for life as well. They have replaced 2 for me over the years. I did buy two in order to have a spare. They replaced the last one for me in the last two years. I called and the lady I spoke with gave me an address to return it to. I mailed it in with a note and received a new replacement within a week or so.
Good Luck,
Rick

twc1964
12-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Yep, i emailed em about my problem and they said mine wasnt on the recall list so no can do.i know of many folks get free replacements on any of the tumblers they sell. Maybe they are just doing what other companies are doing, cutting corners and conveniently changing policies when convenient to do so .

Guesser
12-17-2014, 08:52 AM
The 1292 was warranteed for life up until the last couple of years it was offered. The FF Arsenal are for 2 years. I've never had one last more than 6 month. Gave up on them went to Hornady and still have a 1292 running from about 1990.

Boolit_Head
12-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Hmm how can you tell if they fall under that warranty or not? I've still got one, still running strong, I picked up in the 90's i believe.

Heck how can you tell if they are on the recall list?

44Vaquero
12-17-2014, 01:27 PM
TWC,

If the housing and base are still good? Why not just replace the motor(I already have a replacement sitting for when my 1292 goes)? It is just a simple small C-frame Fan motor. Or you could build your own like I did for my grandfather.

imashooter2
12-17-2014, 01:29 PM
A Google search on 1292 recall will take you to a page describing everything you need to know about the recall.

Regards the guarantee... I have seen where they no longer perform the recall fix and instead give a new FA tumbler, but I have never seen or heard of a lifetime warranty until this thread. I'm still skeptical.

twc1964
12-17-2014, 03:19 PM
If your 1292 has a bar code sticker on the inside of the gray base, its made after the affected ones, at least according to midway. How much would it cost on the average for a new motor because thats my only prob with it.

mold maker
12-17-2014, 04:13 PM
I have a box full of failed tumblers. Where do you find the c frame fan motors???

Boolit_Head
12-17-2014, 04:23 PM
I have a box full of failed tumblers. Where do you find the c frame fan motors???

In the bottom... :bigsmyl2: Sorry could not resist.

My impression is the motors cost more than the tumblers are worth. A cheaper one with the appropriate strength does not seem to be an option. Might as well buy another tumbler.

44Vaquero
12-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Surplus supply warehouse's and E-bay have been my usual sources. Both are of course hit or miss as supplies vary from time to time and some creativity and resourcefulness is required on your part.

I think the last one I bought cost $15.00 +S&H!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PACKARD-65690-5-8-C-FRAME-MOTOR-115-VOLTS-3000-RPM-/320968953746?pt=Air_Conditioner&hash=item4abb3d8f92

Yodogsandman
12-17-2014, 06:19 PM
I have one from the mid 90's and yes, they do have a lifetime warrantee. I've sent mine back just once for a broken wire connection on the motor and they simply fixed it. I've fixed the same problem myself a few times since, because the turn around time was a couple of weeks. Mine is still going strong. I picked up a used one too, last year, to have one for both corn cob and walnut shells.

too many things
12-18-2014, 12:43 AM
if you get some money ahead get a thumbler vibrate its pricey but I got one on feebay for about $75 you cant hear it run and still have the old 1292 and its still running for 20 +yrs One time left it on for 2 weeks and never got hot , but was on a stand so air could get to bottom

ddcrawford
02-03-2015, 01:16 AM
if you get some money ahead get a thumbler vibrate its pricey but I got one on feebay for about $75 you cant hear it run and still have the old 1292 and its still running for 20 +yrs One time left it on for 2 weeks and never got hot , but was on a stand so air could get to bottom

For a cheap solution to forgetting to turn off the case tumbler, buy one of the very cheap mechanical timers used to turn lights on and off. Open the device up and determine how the power is supplied to the motor that runs the clock dial (be careful I just did this with a $4 timer from Walmart, and the 120 VAC power went thru two resistors, not directly to the motor). Rewire the device so that the motor power is supplied by the switched outlet. Just make sure you have your hots and neutrals correct. Wired this way you can set the timer for the number of hours desired and when it switches off the outlet, it will also switch off the power to the clock, preventing any power out of the outlet again until you physically turn the dial to turn switch it on again. Just be sure to get a mechanical timer and not a digital one.

EddieNFL
02-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Mine gave it up last week. My Lyman failed last month so I'm down to using the FA rotary for everything until I decide which vibratory to get.

Pablo 5959
02-07-2015, 11:07 AM
I picked this up at a garage sale for 3.00.
its been working great for many years. (For tumbling brass)

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u543/Pablo5959/image_zpscd2082cd.jpg (http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/Pablo5959/media/image_zpscd2082cd.jpg.html)
and if I get a craving for homemade ice cream... Not really, I just use it for brass.

I've been thinking about about using it with SS pins, but then I would have to go back to decapping.

Pablo

Cherokee
02-09-2015, 11:13 AM
I got my 1292 back in the 80's, still going strong...and it gets lots of use. Bought an FA a few years ago so I could have two going at the same time. I don't figure the 1292 owes me anything.