PDA

View Full Version : anyone using lee turet press?

rufracer
02-16-2008, 10:00 PM
does the press have a built in primer tool, or do you need one separately?

How do you like the pess all together?

PatMarlin
02-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Here ya go:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=23722

stumpjumper
02-16-2008, 10:41 PM
mine has one but i have never used it. i just do them by hand.

mooman76
02-16-2008, 11:03 PM
I like mine! I use mine as a single stage press and rotate as I need to. That's the way I like it. I do the primmer thing seperate also! One set up you don't have to adjust the dies often.

VTDW
02-16-2008, 11:28 PM
I like mine! I use mine as a single stage press and rotate as I need to. That's the way I like it. I do the primmer thing seperate also! One set up you don't have to adjust the dies often.

+1 I like mine.

Dave

454PB
02-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Are you asking about the standard turret or the Classic Turret? I own two of the older standard turret presses and a new Classic Turret. The priming on the older ones is feeble, but the new Classic works fairly well. I do 99% of my priming in dedicated priming tools, rather than the reloading press.

The standard turrets are fine for all handgun ammo, but get a little taxed by magnum rifle cases. The Classic Turret is a tough brute, and does everything well.

utk
02-17-2008, 04:30 AM
First of a 3-part article:
http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

lathesmith
02-17-2008, 10:06 AM
+++The Lee classic cast turret press is the most versitile and trouble-free press I have ever owned. I liked it so well I dumped almost every other press I had--they were just clutter next to the Lee. The CCTP's built-in priming system does take a bit of practice to master, but once you get the "knack" it works fine.
lathesmith

PatMarlin
02-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Whatcha creating with that purdy lathe LS?.. :Fire:

Powderpacker
02-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Another '+1'. I also like the storage aspect of the Lee turret system. I have a turret for each caliber and since about half of my die sets are Redding I had to buy empty Lee die set containers for them. To me, it's worth the few extra $$ for the convient storage.

DLCTEX
02-17-2008, 11:58 AM
I LOVE MY CLASSIC CAST TURRET! I have 5 other presses but they are unused for the most part. I even do priming on the press with the safety prime rather than use my handheld auto prime. Dale

lathesmith
02-17-2008, 01:06 PM
PM, that little lathe is mighty handy for all kinds of things. I have learned to make Star sizer dies, and top punches. Also, it is great for making die parts, such as custom powder-thru-expander die bushings that flair a case just the way I want. I have learned to modify and install revolver barrels, rifle barrels, and and other cool stuff. I think of that lathe as an old friend...that's very helpful!
lathesmith

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-17-2008, 06:16 PM
I have the Classic turret and prime on it's very good Safety prime system. It's easily capable of 200 rounds or better an hour and is very fun to operate. Working up loads for a new cartridge/firearm is where this press really shines. Quick and easy to change calibers and a caliber conversion isn't much more than a single stage.

If I had bought this press and a Lee Classic Cast single stage, I don't think I would have ever needed or bought my Hornady Lock N Load progressive. For most reloaders, this press and a good single stage is all they'll ever need.

Probably the best and most versatile affordable bargain in reloading today.

Just my .02,

Dave

utk
02-17-2008, 06:25 PM
With so many "listening in" on the thread:

I have only used my Classic Turret for pistol calibers as I think those small locking lugs seem very small to take the pressure from e.g. resizing large rifle case. For example 30-06.

Will they hold out in the long run?

Urban

lonewolf5347
02-17-2008, 07:47 PM
I pick up the lee turret press last June (not the classic) with auto index : I find loading the 45 acp works great I run a box of 50 rounds in about 17 min:
I sorry I did not purchase the classic model I find when loading center fire rifle cases the auto index has to be removed and the press goes into single stage
I just start loading the 41 mag on the press again excellent press for the money:the lee safety prime is a little touchy I already on the second safety prime unit I had Midway replace at no charge.

DLCTEX
02-17-2008, 07:59 PM
The turret lugs have been tested to Over 40,000 lbs shear strength, load e'm up. Dale

trickyasafox
02-17-2008, 10:07 PM
I have the original, not the classic cast. they are nice. and do have an included primer unit

Adam10mm
02-18-2008, 12:49 AM
Loaded on LCT that my mother got me for Xmas 06. Got a Dillon 550 and the LCT is on the shelf.

MT Gianni
02-18-2008, 12:57 AM
UTK, I used the original 3 hole to size 30-06 up to 35 whelen and 6mm up to 7mm with no problems. Gianni

osage
02-18-2008, 06:05 AM
rufracer I use a three hole turret. I prime off the press with a lee auto priming tool. Mostly because that is what I used with the Lee Classic loaders. I do have the lee safety prime system but have not installed it yet.

utk Like MT Gianni I have not had any issue resizing LC or PS .06 brass.

compass will
02-20-2008, 10:13 AM
I started with an RCBS 25 years ago, but sold it a long time ago when I stopped reloading.

Now I have started again I bought the Lee turret press "auto index". I have the 4 hole design. A separate turret for each caliber. My only problem was that 45-70 and some 32 specials will not work in turret mode, the die hits the bullet on a fully loaded case as it tries to turn. instead I just remove the center rod which disables the auto index, and load like a standard press, rotating when needed. This way all the dies are already adjusted. the Auto disk powder measure is great for pistol calipers, but not large enough for rifle you can buy a kit that allows you to use 2 disks, but for a better price I added the lee perfect powder measure. Lee should include the adapter that mounts the powder measure higher as its required to allow the press to rotate. The PPmeasure will leak a little bit of some smaller powders onto the bench at times, but is not enough to bother me.

going forward, I would do it again. In fact my friend is thinking of starting reloading as his Sons get older, I would recommend the same press to him. I do like the fact that if you buy a turret for each calaber you don't have to adjust the dies every time you use them.

JesterGrin_1
02-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Lee should include the adapter that mounts the powder measure higher as its required to allow the press to rotate.

They Do. :) http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products/reloading/leeprecision/powderhandli/90041.html

Bullshop Junior
02-21-2008, 01:02 AM
I just got a classic turret. It has its own priming thing. I like it alot.
Daniel/BS Jr.

Lee
02-21-2008, 01:46 AM
Riser die adapter. Well darn, I learn sumthin new every day. And needless to say, I gots to get me one of those. THANKS! for the picture of that little bugger. Worth a thousand words.
Oh and by the way, I also have a 4-hole turret. Works like a charm, with the exception mentioned-- .45-70 cartridges are too tall to rotate in the press w/o hitting....... Other than that, you can't go wrong for the money. MIGHT do better, but can't go wrong for the money.........................Lee:wink:

Three44s
02-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Viva Lee Classic Turret press!!!!!!

Three 44s

Chunky Monkey
02-21-2008, 07:44 AM
I also use the Lee Classic Turret and love it!! It can be used as turret and single stage :-D

Not sure if I seen it here or somewhere else so I just wanted to mention that Lee has 4 hole turret seconds for $6.00 on their website. I got me about 6 or 8 a while back and they only charged $4.00 shipping. They are just a little rough around the edges, nothing a file can't fix! As of this morning (2/21/08) they still have a little over 400 left, here's the link:
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/cart.cgi?1203594126.1968=99269

easy ed
02-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I have the RCBS T7 Turret Press along with a extra Turret. Makes reloading a lot faster. You can have both turrets load with your dies and then switch turrets for different calibers.

dukers65
03-01-2008, 10:42 PM
i've had my lee classic turret about 1 1/2 years. i do everything on it icluding priming
charging the cases. great press for the dollar,and just complicated enough that this feeble mind of mine can actually turn out some decent loads.

as for rifle loads i've done 7 mag and 45/70s without a hitch.

i still caress the rockchucker once in awhile to make it feel like part of the reloading routine.

brimic
03-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I've been using the classic Turret for about a year. It is a very strong press, I use it all the time to resize .284win brass to 7.5 swiss. The only improvement that I think could be made would be a case activated Lee Perfect Powder measure. I bought Lee's version of the case activator for the LPPM and there is no easy way to automatically reset it. If they can figure out a way to make this work, the press would be the cat's meow. I use the Pro autodisc for cast loads and the setup works flawlessly.