PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 flat nose problems...

mdr8088
12-16-2014, 08:22 PM
To say the least I'm frustrated. I'm wanting to kill a deer with my own bullet this year, and I'm running out of time. Unless theirs a zombie outbreak I'm going to have to wait till next year to kill something. I'm using the lee 170gr flat nosed mold, which I originally bought for my granddad's 30-30. I'm ok with hundred yard shots with my savage axis 30-06. I can shoot 2 1/2 inch groups well, but take it out to 200 yds and I suck. I could probably hunt elephants, but nothing smaller. Is it the flat nose bullet causing me problems? They're hitting way high compared to the Hornady 150gr sp's I zeroed it at 200 yds. with. I'm using 16 grs. of Unique, with .5 gr Polly fill. I lube with allox, and use Hornady gas checks, win brass, rem primers. I am getting a little leading at the muzzle. I'm guessing this load is about 17 to 1800 fps. Using data from the Lyman book. Would I be better off with the 160gr round nose? Or should I reduce the load some? Don't have a lot of powders to play around with. Where is all that stuff anyway? It's getting mighty sparse out here. Just wanting to see what you all thought. Thanks.

NC_JEFF
12-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Lead near the muzzle is often a sign of inadequate lube, are you double coating with the alox? I've never used any filler when loading my '06 with Unique but I've never tried for those velocities with unique, I use it with 90-120gr boolits for killing paper. How much clearance off the rifling are you seating your round? Lots of cast shooters seat their round just into the rifling for improved accuracy. Some of the more advanced cast shooters here will be chiming in soon with very detailed help for each of these issues. Enjoy shooting the cast boolits, I know I do.

JD

Silvercreek Farmer
12-16-2014, 10:17 PM
I have good luck with that boolit and 21 grains of 2400 in the 30-06. I zero for 175 yards which is about 6 inches high at 100. What alloy are you using?

44man
12-17-2014, 01:12 PM
Not the flat nose. 30-06 is not a candidate for Unique. Go to a powder! Try 4895 or 3031. Step up the velocity with a slower powder.
Dump Alox right away. My gosh, that boolit is over 1900 fps in a 30-30.
You are not spinning it.

Ben
12-17-2014, 01:24 PM
30-06 is not a candidate for Unique.

I guess I have been wasting my time shooting tiny groups with Unique in the 30-06 for 40 years and just didn't know any better.

Ben

trapper9260
12-17-2014, 01:35 PM
30-06 is not a candidate for Unique.

I guess I have been wasting my time shooting tiny groups with Unique in the 30-06 for 40 years and just didn't know any better.

Ben

I say if it works for you stick with it.That is how I see how things are.Not all guns are the same no matter if it is the same make and all.because the barrel is differnet when made. I could not find data for semi auto for 308 that would work but I made it up my own and made it work.

Char-Gar
12-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Alox type lubes have a limited velocity range for their effectiveness and you are going past that. It is not the be-all, do-all bullet lube that some folks represent it to be. Time to rethink your lube. If you don't want to invest in a lube-size machine, then pan lube and use a Kake-Kutter.

200 yard accuracy can be had with a variety of powders, bullet weights and shapes. However a damaged bullet can't be made to shoot at that range. Folks tend to think of leading as just a rifle cleaning issue, but that lead comes off the bullets and that does nothing good for accuracy.

At, 1.7 to 1.9 K fps, I would not get all wrapped around the axle over fast powers, as they will work well at those speeds, however they are reaching their limits. When you reach 2K fps and over, your are much better off accuracy wise, with a slower powder.

Also bear in mind that older barrels were not all that smooth. When I look down the barrel of my 1954 vintage Winchester 70 and see all those tool marks, it tells me to slow things down with that rifle. More recent barrels are glass smooth in comparison to some of barrels made a generation or two ago.

44man
12-17-2014, 01:57 PM
I will never understand why cast needs shot so slow with shotgun powders. The 06 has a range to 4350 and 4831, Varget works great. So does 4064. You don't use Unique with jacketed, why with cast?
I far outstrip all powders in a 30-30 with 3031 and 4895 with accuracy. Even 4759, be darned if I would go with a faster powder.

white eagle
12-17-2014, 02:10 PM
big case small amount of fast burning powder(unique)in my opinion is a hit and miss
I would probably do as others have already noted and go with a slower powder,more case fill.

leadman
12-17-2014, 04:13 PM
I do shoot Unique in the 30-06, but at around 1,200 fps. For the speeds you want try a powder like 2400 or slower. As 44man said, 3031 should work and I know for a fact that 4895 does.
I use mostly SR4759 and for the speed you want it would work.
For hunting loads you can use a lube like Carnuba Red available here from White Label lubes and use it like a crayon to smear it on the boolit, then size and you are good to go, with a gas check installed. I have used this lube to almost full jacketed velocity with no issues.

You didn't say what size your barrel slugs to so don't know if you checked it. Your Savage should be .308" unless it has seem alot of bullets down the barrel so .309" might be good. I normally size .310" for the 30-06. Try the lube and powder change first before changing boolit size.
Another thing you might do is find some JB Bore Paste and follow the instructions to clean your bore with it. This will also help smooth it inside.

Ben
12-17-2014, 04:28 PM
I'm not the only person who likes to shoot Unique in the 30-06 !

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?248763-1917-Eddystone-30-06

dk17hmr
12-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Very much wasting your time with Unique in the 30-06....any powder is better than Unique in the 30-06 case.

Don't tell this Antelope and my 1903 Springfield though......because I used a cast bullet and unique to kill it.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/DSCN3774.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/dk17hmr/media/DSCN3774.jpg.html)

Your not likely as fast as you are thinking though.

Ben
12-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Yea, Doug......that looks like a total waste of time with Unique.

You better get another powder quick.

Ben

dk17hmr
12-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Yea, Doug......that looks like a total waste of time with Unique.

You better get another powder quick.

Ben

I just dumped the rest of the jug in the garden so I'm not tempted to use it again.....I'm done wasting time with that powder...hopefully my tomatoes grow well next year.

Char-Gar
12-17-2014, 05:50 PM
big case small amount of fast burning powder(unique)in my opinion is a hit and miss
I would probably do as others have already noted and go with a slower powder,more case fill.

If you want to see how hit or miss small amounts of fast burning powder are in the 30-06 case, try about 7 grains of Bulleye under a soft cast bullet of nominal weight. No filler, just the powder. Shoot a ten shot 100 yard group and take a gander. I think you will be surprised. No need for a gas check.

nagantguy
12-17-2014, 05:56 PM
The horror, please don't dump any more unquie, please send it to me for proper disposal! I've alreadyblearned what a waste of time it is in rifles, really, seriously, my 30-30 won't hit a barn from inside with it, Mauser either. Please note sarcasm, I have several favorite loads with cast in large rifle. But don't dump any I'm down to my last pound and afraid to open it haven't seen any on shelves for 2 years.

mdr8088
12-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Nice lope, nicer Springfield. I use Unique in my 9mm, it was on hand and in the Lyman book. I seen some IMR 4064 at Wall mart the other day. I'm going to have to order powder pretty soon, or I'll be throwing rocks. I'll try the powder and lube first. I'm using half wheel weights, and half of some kind of Linotype lead I found at the recycling center. I was digging around in a huge box they keep their lead in and there it was, a bunch of Lyman ingots and some bullets. It kind of made me sad, probably some guy passed away, and never will get to shoot them. I water dropped them, they should be pretty hard. What's a good velocity to shoot for?

Duckdog
12-17-2014, 06:29 PM
I use 31 gr of 5744 with that very boolit for 2150 FPS,(Chronographed), with excellent accuracy. I also use 2 coats of Liquid Alox with that load and get zero leading. With straight WW, it thumps the deer.

I messed with Unique in the 06, but never really seriously stuck with it. The loads I did load up were pretty accurate, but slower than I wanted.

That boolit is a pretty good one in the 06, so keep at it.

white eagle
12-17-2014, 06:31 PM
6 gr of red dot should give you exceptional accuracy at 1000 plus yds
all the benchrest shooters use unique just ask em

Silvercreek Farmer
12-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Not to state the obvious, but you are using gas check, right? And sizing to .309 or .310? Lose the poly, drop back to 12 grains and work up again 1 grain at a time. Stop when your groups tighten up. You mentioned jacketed, did you use copper solvent before switching to cast?

Ben
12-17-2014, 08:55 PM
While a few are taking " jabs " at Unique, let me say that if you understand Unique and what it can do and not do, it is a wonderful powder for limited applications in a variety of 30 caliber cartridges with cast bullets. Probably at its best in the 1,200 - 1450 fps speed zone.

If you don't understand the limitations of Unique in the 30-06 and you want it to be a do all powder and you're asking things of it that it was never intended to do, ........you best stand clear of any use of the powder in the 30-06.

Duckdog
12-17-2014, 10:11 PM
I gotta say, Ben, if I were to only get one powder, I would pick Unique... hands down. I load and cast for many, many calibers and shotguns and I think the only thing that I shoot a lot of that might cause an issue is the 410 shotgun. Other than that, it will work well in everything else, within it's limitations.

I do use 5744 over Unique in a couple of guns, but I have no doubt that I could develop loads with Unique that would put meat in the freezer in those guns. Sometimes, a little more speed is what I am after than Unique will provide.

Ben
12-17-2014, 10:38 PM
Duckdog

You obviously have a good working knowledge of the safe applications of Unique.

Unique didn't get its name by accident. It is a very versatile powder. Not perfect in all applications , but VERY useful in many handgun, shotgun and rifle applications.

I love it, even though I'm aware " that all the benchresters don't use it. "

Ben
12-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Maybe Unique isn't so useless after all ?

Of course this isn't 1,000 yards, but then again I don't do a lot of shooting at 1,000 yards.

30-06
50 yards , 5 rounds
Plain base , 180 gr. cast bullet, sized .311
8.5 grs. of Alliant Unique

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p545/Ben35049/yt_zps4596d21b.jpg (http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Ben35049/media/yt_zps4596d21b.jpg.html)

white eagle
12-18-2014, 12:28 AM
its pretty obvious some have a definite attachment to Unique
and feel quite defensive of their old stand by ,not that there is anything wrong with it
I for one never said Unique gun powder powder was useless use it all the time in my handguns and shotguns I just would not reach for it for a bottle neck cartridge with the capacity of the o6 seems like a terrible waste of case capacity to me and would reach for something to fill more of the case instead of grabbing the dacron filler
but thats me you do what ever you want

runfiverun
12-18-2014, 12:38 AM
this ain't helping the question get answered.

I would first decide if what you are seeing is really leading or if it's antimony wash.
if it's just a grey wash I'd leave things alone.
if it is truly leading I'd wipe some lube in the groove by hand and go from there.

secondly the accuracy issue.
you are pushing the boolit pretty slow, it may be coming back down through the sound barrier and is becoming de-stabilized [buffeted]
you can try shooting faster.
or just closer.
you lose a lot of energy at 200 yds with the velocity you are getting.

I'd try for 1900-1950 fps, you can get there with a variety of powders ranging from 2400 up through varget without any problems, some powders do better with the filler.
generally from the 322 speed up through the 4064/varget area do have much better/lower velocity variations with it.
even with that I'd be much more comfortable keeping my shots to the 150yd or so range.

Duckdog
12-18-2014, 07:05 AM
I think that the OP is comparing apples to oranges. If he is shooting 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards in a gun that was zeroed for jacketed, without changing the scope for this boolit, he's doing darn well. I also think that runfiverun hit the nail on the head. The boolit is getting too slow by the time it gets to that range and as one might suspect, it is destabilizing and going all over the place. Based on his info, the limitation on his load is 100 yards, or thereabouts.

It is tough finding powder right now,and you've done well to find, or aquire some Unique. If that's what you've got, find a load and work within it's limitations. Without digging out a manual, I suspect you are at the upper end of the range for Unique, so you might be S.O.L. in the aspect of speeding the load up with that powder. Like I said, I like 5744 in the 06, but finding it can be a challenge. Fortunately, it is on the shelves by me. But, if you are indeed leading the end of the barrel right now, speeding the load up will only make that worse.

Sounds like you have some work to do yet with this load. Have fun!

kungfustyle
12-18-2014, 07:42 AM
Try heat treating the boolit. If your alloy is ww you can "bake" the boolits at 420 for an hour and dunk right from the oven into a bucket of water. Let it sit for at least 4 days should be up around 18bhn. I'd pan lube them and try it again w/ a touch more speed. Loose the polly fill w/ unique. If you have some other rifle powders there are better ones to use to get to 1900. Unique is a good powder but like others have said 12 to 1400fps or so.
Read this if you haven't. Good Luck.
http://home.comcast.net/~gavinsw/guns/castbulletmilitaryrifle.pdf

emrah
12-18-2014, 09:00 AM
I shoot the exact same boolit in the exact same gun. Gas checked and double LLA lubed. Try 2400 powder. I use 22.5 grains. Excellent. Unique is great for slower velocities but not optimum for the speed you want. Try 2400. You'll love it.

Emrah

Ben
12-18-2014, 09:43 AM
mdr8088

You will definitely run into a pressure problem and accuracy will head south quickly if you try to push the bullet too fast with Unique. If you try and make 1,800 - 2,000 fps loads with Unique , you won't find it so very unique..........

wmitty
12-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Ben

Nice group! Which plainbase boolit are you using?

Ben
12-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Ben

Nice group! Which plainbase boolit are you using?

That was a $20 , Lee 2 cav. , 180 gr. RN that I removed the g/c from and turned it into a plain base mold.

Ben

firefly1957
12-18-2014, 08:00 PM
I shoot that same bullet at 2040 f/s average in a 336 Marlin 30-30 and get groups at 100 yards under two inches. I have powder coated and used Krylon spray paint and baked the bullet for 30 minutes at 400 degrees . I like the spray paint a bit better as it is thinner and easier to handle while dry. I have thought of trying them in 30-06 but have not yet.
There is a whole topic of alternate coatings here look it over if you are interested.

onceabull
12-18-2014, 08:48 PM
Somewhere in the range 0f 7.0-8.0 gr of Bullseye behind a 150gr. Jacketed bullet was deemed sufficient to keep prisoners behind the walls back in the day...same thing could be done with a tad more unique and either jacketed or cast .. 30/06 loaded that way with the 150 gr Flatnose 30/30 bullet helped make sure that some fruit matured for harvest by other than deer back in the day...nowadays the 223 is all the rage for that app. and provides some good eating in the farm labor housing farms.. Onceabull

mdr8088
12-19-2014, 12:18 AM
Using gas checks, and sizing for 309. Definitely going to try different powders, when I can find some. I do have varget, which is what I use for all my rifles. Someone asked about the leading it's a grey coating on the last several inches of the barrel, harder to get off near the rifling. The cast bullets are hitting way higher than the 150 gr Hornady sp's I've zeroed it with. Which didn't make any sense, you'd think a heavier bullet moving slower would hit low... not a foot high. I never thought about it dropping subsonic and buffeting. It is a flat nose so sounds like an explanation to me. Thanks guys. I might not get it worked out this season, but I'll definitely have fun next year.

taco650
12-19-2014, 02:54 AM
In the "for what its worth" column, I find Longshot works better in my 303 British (16gr) with a 224gr 316299 knock off than Unique. That load gives 1&1/4" groups at 50yds. I've tried Unique in my 30-06 and still not happy so Longshot is my next step along with IMR4320.

Duckdog
12-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Where'd you get the load data for longshot? Sounds interesting. I never saw an cast data for the 30-06 with longshot before.

taco650
12-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Where'd you get the load data for longshot? Sounds interesting. I never saw an cast data for the 30-06 with longshot before.

Umm... here's how that went.

I couldn't find 2400 anywhere but did see this bottle of Longshot on the shelf so I read some of the loads info listed on the label and decided to find something to use it in. A few months prior I had read an article in Handloader Magazine where it had been used successfully in moderate .45 Colt loads (hotter than standard but lower than Ruger only stuff). The author also made reference to the fact that Longshot isn't as position sensitive (i.e. has to be against the primer for best burn) as other powders. After that, I did some internet searching and found that Longshot's burn rate is very close to 2400 and then just guesstimated the amounts. It's safe in my 303 British but... use at your own risk!!! I also haven't actually made any loads for my 30-06 yet but will start with what I used in my 303.

TCLouis
12-20-2014, 10:26 AM
What I read is you are having issues because the Unique load shoots higher at 200 that does a 150 grain coated projie.

Set your sights/scope for what you are shooting and ROCK on.

Not so sure about killing effectiveness at 200 yards, but others can certainly chime in that have real life experience with reaching out there with real BOOLITS.

truckjohn
12-20-2014, 03:13 PM
I would go and work up your load at 200 yards.... Test out various charges to see what really works.

100 yards is famous for having groups that look great and fall apart as they really get on out there... Especially if things go trans-sonic and "Fan out" farther out... That's a famous thing that many times - bullet designers never really test for... and if you went from 2.5" at 100 to 2+ FEET at 200 - it's going all wobbly-jobbly when it goes trans-sonic....

But.. Personally - I would drop back to the old standby loads... Unique and fast pistol powders for low velocity/short ranges, 2400 for medium, and rifle powders for the highest velocities and ranges... Start with 16 grains of 2400 powder (no fillers) and work up from there on your 200 yard target...

Thanks

MT Chambers
12-20-2014, 04:43 PM
I use slower powders and Carnauba red lube in my '06, seems to like Varget the best, but also 4759, I'm just thinkin' tho, 2.5" groups at a hunnert yards doesn't really set you up well for 200yds.

pls1911
12-20-2014, 05:57 PM
See Lyman's 3rd edition cast bullet manual.
Frank Marshal's article on 30-06 cast accuracy through bench rest eyes.
Really good.
Old Winchester model 70, 4 groove barrel,
Lyman 311284, 220 grains weighed.
21gr SR 4759, (15 grains Unique was also an old favorite)
Around 1500 fps., +/-...
VERY impressive performance.
Read and learn.

MarkP
12-20-2014, 06:18 PM
this ain't helping the question get answered.

secondly the accuracy issue.
you are pushing the boolit pretty slow, it may be coming back down through the sound barrier and is becoming de-stabilized [buffeted]
you can try shooting faster.
or just closer.
you lose a lot of energy at 200 yds with the velocity you are getting.

I'd try for 1900-1950 fps, you can get there with a variety of powders ranging from 2400 up through varget without any problems, some powders do better with the filler.
generally from the 322 speed up through the 4064/varget area do have much better/lower velocity variations with it.
even with that I'd be much more comfortable keeping my shots to the 150yd or so range.

I think this is probably what is happening at 200 yds.

btroj
12-20-2014, 08:04 PM
I would listen to Run. I would use 18 to 22 gr of 2400 for a velocity in the 18-1900 fps range or else move to something slower. Lots of powders would work if you want to move into the 2000-2200 fps range. I look at powers as having velocity windows where they work well in many cases. In my opinion you are over the velocity where I expect best results with Unique.

Even with decent 200 yard accuracy the remaining energy is gonna be pretty anemic. I would limit shots to 100 or so with a velocity in that range.

I would decide what range I want to shoot to for hunting based on needed energy and trajectory. I would then see what velocity is needed to get me good results to that distance and let this help me decide on a powder.

mj2evans
12-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Are you using an M die to size the neck of the case prior to bullet seating? Maybe try .311 sizer. I like Unique in lighter loads but have to agree to move to 2400 for medium loads or something like 4895 for full power loads. I use alox some but not in rifles - try pan lubing with felix or pinko commie 411 (pinko easier to make).

Gunnut 45/454
12-20-2014, 11:58 PM
mbr8088
I use the same bullet in my 30-30, 30-06 and 300 Blk out. Excellent accurate bullet. My '06 is a Rem 7400 and it shoots them very well see attached target. I agree with the others get rid of the filler. Maybe a different powder will work - never got stellar accuracy using Unique my self. I load 40 gr IMR 4895 for my load an get 2300 fps. I get about 5" drop at 200 yards. And they are only about 300 fps slower then jacketed 180 grs.:bigsmyl2: I also weigh my bullets to be no more then .5 grs difference in wts. Sometimes its the little things get an accurate load.

44man
12-21-2014, 11:19 AM
6 gr of red dot should give you exceptional accuracy at 1000 plus yds
all the benchrest shooters use unique just ask em
You crack me up! :bigsmyl2:
I have to admit a .38 special load in an 06 might kill but so would a .22. Why does a guy own an 06 when he can just have a .38 or a .32 for 200 yards?
Tried Unique in my 30-30. also 2400 and everything else. What bull. Needs rifle powders.
I am a dedicated revolver hunter and the day I shoot deer with Unique will never happen. To think of it in a huge rifle case makes me cringe.

btroj
12-21-2014, 11:45 PM
No, it needs rifle powder for the kind of loads you shoot. Unique can be very accurate in the 06, it just isn't the best for the velocity I would want for hunting.

44man
12-22-2014, 10:16 AM
No, it needs rifle powder for the kind of loads you shoot. Unique can be very accurate in the 06, it just isn't the best for the velocity I would want for hunting.
The answer is here. Load the gun like you would with jacketed. Cast is not a pansy to be babied.
Slow powders are easier on a boolit then the instant thump of a shotgun powder.

Duckdog
12-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Unique is very good in most rifles for cast bullets, but as has been said, it just does not develop the accuracy needed at longer range in the 30-06. With that being said, I would not hesitate to use it in an 06 at handgun ranges, whatsoever.

I would also not hesitate to use it in other large rifle cases such as the 45/70,at any range, where I could hit the kill zone reliably.

Unique definitely has a place on my reloading bench, and is used in a great number of calibers successfully from the 32 ACP to the 45/70. You just have to know it's limitations and place in the puzzle.

GooseGestapo
12-27-2014, 01:52 PM
re: LongShot. It's acutally much closer to Unique than #2400.
I started using LongShot in the 9mm for match 9mm loads about 10yrs ago. Very, very accurate in 9mm w/120-125gr Lead boolits at 5.2gr for ~1,200fps from 4-6" bbls.

Because I use H4895 and 200gr RNGC for "accuracy" loads in my '06's, I've never gone back to Unique.

40yrs ago, I loaded my first cast bullets, Lee 150gr FNGC's pan lubed w/50-50 NRA lube over 16.5gr of Unique. Why, becasue it was a Lyman listed load. It "worked" and gave decent groups at 50yds, but shot ~12" below sight in for jacketed 150's.

If you are shooting "high" at 200yds, your "boolits" are bouncing off the ground at ~150yds !!! IMO.

I "like" #2400 for "accuracy" loads w/150-170gr bullets (20-24.0gr), but still don't consider them "hunting" loads.

I prefer H4895 for "less than full power" '06 loads. 36.0-38.5gr will give you best results. My M1-Garand and b/a '06's shoot sub 2moa with the Lee 200gr RNGC at .311" and SPG lube. POI is only 2" below that of 165-168gr J-bollit from b/a or "zero" at 100yds with +2" setting w/165gr jktd bullet. M1 is "two clicks" up from 150gr FMJ bt match load with 48.0gr IMR4064.

Skip the filler w/Unique. It's not needed. Only with low charges of 4198 in .45/70 did I find an improvement with "filler". I used dacron pillow stuffing for that. No residue as dacron is the binder/filler for smokeless powder anyhow. (see Alliant labels, if you don't believe me....).

Back in '70's it was conventional wisdom that you needed a "filler" with Unique and #2400. It's only useful if you are using poor lube and no gaschecks. It then protects the base of the boolit.

My diagnosis of your "leading" is just that, the tumble-lube is inadequate for over ~1,200fps, IMO...
Yes, I've tried it at faster speeds and got poor results...

emrah
12-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Disagree with tumble lube being inadequate. I only shoot tumble lubed and gas checked 180 gr boolits (Lee C308-170) sizes to .311 in both my 30-30 and 30-06 and not a hint of leading. The 30-30 is going 1630 and the 30-06 close to 1900.

Emrah

Duckdog
12-29-2014, 08:04 PM
I agree. I shoot this same bullet at 2150 FPS, (Chronographed), and I also get no leading with just Lee Liquid Alox. I think proper hardness for the pressure of the load and bullet size is equally critical.

SSGOldfart
12-30-2014, 01:41 AM
[QUOTE=Ben;3051014]30-06 is not a candidate for Unique.

I guess I have been wasting my time shooting tiny groups with Unique in the 30-06 for 40 years and just didn't know any better.[quote]

Yep your right Ben us Oldfarts don't know anything about the 06
Unique is the only powder ever run through my custom Sako.

dh2
12-30-2014, 08:38 AM
I like my unique in pistol and 12guage, for the 30-06 I prefer a 180gr. round noise pushed by IMR4198, I size .310 This being a lee mold that has a habit of sizing small I believe the boolit size and distance off of the lands of the rifling has more to do wit it than powder choice.

NVScouter
12-30-2014, 01:26 PM
My last 06 loved the LEE 113g over Unique but the havier loads not so much over 1600fps. The Lyman 311284 around 1600fps was a drill but fell apart rapidly over that.

I'm going to start over now that my Grandfather's 30-06 is in my gun safe. I'd love to get that 311284 to 2100fps for deer next year.

pilot
12-30-2014, 04:56 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why you need to shoot deer at 200 yards. If you are good to go at 100, figure out a way to get a 100 yard or less shot.

SSGOldfart
01-01-2015, 08:39 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why you need to shoot deer at 200 yards. If you are good to go at 100, figure out a way to get a 100 yard or less shot.
Bingo[smilie=w:

Silvercreek Farmer
01-02-2015, 08:57 PM
The wife and I did some good shooting yesterday with the '06 at 175 yards (1.25-1.50 MOA) with some crummy Johnson's paste wax lube, pistol/shotgun powders, and a "dirty" bore. Made me wonder of the OP has been scrubbing his bore too clean and/or too often.

NYBushBro
01-04-2015, 09:50 AM
The wife and I did some good shooting yesterday with the '06 at 175 yards (1.25-1.50 MOA) with some crummy Johnson's paste wax lube, pistol/shotgun powders, and a "dirty" bore. Made me wonder of the OP has been scrubbing his bore too clean and/or too often.

Inquiring minds (mine included) would enjoy hearing more details on this...

Silvercreek Farmer
01-05-2015, 11:20 PM
Inquiring minds (mine included) would enjoy hearing more details on this...

OP's boolit, 90/10 AC CO/SO WW, sized to .309, Hornady gas check, JPW tumbled, 13 grains Promo, multiple fired Rem Brass (dirty), WLR primer, Lee Neck size, M Die, light factory crimp. Rifle was a 2000 Wetherby Vanguard 30-06 with a heavy creepy trigger topped with a Leupold VXII. Probably 50+ rounds since the last (light dry patch) cleaning. Shots were prone off of a bi-pod. Probably 30-60 seconds between shots. Just my plinking load, but is usually good for at around 2 MOA. We were shooting steel and decided to put a few on paper, 3 shots each, just for a little friendly competition. Groups were nearly identical, no breeze but most of the dispersion was horizontal. I was pleasantly surprised, not sure I could duplicate, but I am a believer in Ed Harris's "Load"!