PDA

View Full Version : Best use for a bad pan

Hogtamer
12-16-2014, 09:11 AM
I've tweaked my Hubel Sabot loads in pursuit of perfection and for today, at least, basking in the glow of a perfect result! The latest iteration is: Remington 3" NitroMag once-fired hull (from a heavy lead, not steel shot load); Fed. 209A primer; 38 grns Alliant Steel powder; x12x gas seal from BPI; 2 - 1/4" felt wads; hubel sabot containing Lyman OS Minie http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-blackpowder.php?entryID=90.
Mine actually casts 490 grns and .577. I have to file .04" off the bottom to achieve proper OAL. This combo results in a perfect 6-point crimp, good as factory. So I wanted to fire one to test and here was this 12" SS saute pan that boiling water will stick to, worthless to me. I made a circle with a marker about the size of a quarter and stuck it in the ground handle first in front of a couple of 8" blocks and turned one loose from a rest at 50 yds. The recoil was less than the 2 3/4" 37 grn. 1 cushion wad loads I have been shooting. I heard the pan ring but couldn't see the hole through the scope until I walked close. The hole and the mark were one! OK, OK, I know 1 shot doth not a group make, but I decided that I was gonna enjoy that picture in my head for a day or 2 until I can get to a range for a full blown test. In the meantime it's Christmas, I'm giddy with this picture of perfection, and that danged pan will bother me no more. Oh yeah, the blocks were pulverized and the slug was not to be found.

RED333
12-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Do ya just hate it when a pan(plan) comes together!!!:bigsmyl2:

bikerbeans
12-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Hog,

I am glad I'm not the only one who hunts cookware. I like to hang them by the handle a couple of feet off the ground just in front of the 200 yard backstop and then make them dance with a big bore rifle.

Looks like you are on the right track with your latest handload.

BB

cpileri
12-17-2014, 12:51 PM
what alloy are you using on your slugs?

If you do manage to recover any fired slugs/hubel sabots, can you check to see if they are being swaged into a "square" shape; as we have noticed this on some of the test loads: some w higher charges of Steel (up to 55gr) and some w softer lead slugs.

I figure that 'squaring' cant be good for accuracy, so i am trying to see how to eliminate it.

C-

Hogtamer
12-17-2014, 05:37 PM
C,
the only ones I've recovered were into a dirt bank. There was sort of a squared off imprint in the base, but what a perfect mushroom! I'm casting COWW with about 1/2 pure lead mix.

Treeman
12-22-2014, 11:24 PM
Every time I see this thread title I read it as "The best use for a bad pun" Unfortunately it doesn't pan out.