PDA

View Full Version : 1911 question

LUCKYDAWG13
12-16-2014, 08:44 AM
question for the 1911 owners what length barrel do you like. use it would be carried but not my EDC but from
time to time and a range gun. and could i go wrong with Ruger's 1911

Tatume
12-16-2014, 08:54 AM
I carry both the full-length Government model and the mid-sized Commander. Both are comfortable to carry and to shoot, and both shoot very well.

matrixcs
12-16-2014, 08:58 AM
I have the Ruger 1911 commander size. Love the gun . More accurate than I can shoot. At 25 yards 10" plates fall over for me.
I find the shorter barrel more concealable and easier on the draw. Ejection may need adjustment...

Love Life
12-16-2014, 09:35 AM
I own both Commander and Government models. The standard government size actually conceals pretty well and easily, but the Commander model is my preferred carry. That 3/4 inch difference makes a huge difference with IWB. I've carried my Commander with just a baggy T-shirt on and it still concealed well.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Ruger at all. The ones I played with were quite nice.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Ok thank you the commander it is now what holster do you like

Love Life
12-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Mernickle for both IWB and outside the waistband. The belt is almost more important than the holster.

For the full size Government, the best holst I've used to date is a cheapy bianchi. It is a soft leather, thin, and only has a belt clip but conceals the best with the full size. Some leather holsters are entirely to thick and make a large gun print even more.

Here is what I recommend to anybody who carries concealed. It has worked for me and others, but not everybody is inclined to try it.

When you get your new gun and holster, wear it everyday, all day, around the house. Sitting in your easy chair, doing yard work, eating dinner, going to the toilet, etc. Loaded or unloaded is your choice.

This will accomplish a couple things:
A) Get you used to carrying the weight of the firearm
B) Allow you to work out bugs with your wardrobe
C) show you what works and doesn't work concerning wardrobe, carry position, etc.
D) allow you to identify positions that may inadvertently show or print the gun.
E) make carrying the gun second nature so your not that guy in the grocery store constantly pulling down the shirt tail on the side the gun is on, resting your arm on the gun, etc.

Basically what it does is allows you to break the bad habits, learn the good ones, and get used to carrying the gun. It will eliminate the embarrassing boo boos that many gun owners do out in town.

charlie b
12-16-2014, 11:26 AM
For my full size 1911 I liked Milt Sparks Executive IWB. I also have one for the wife's light Commander and it is much more comfortable when carrying, both due to the shorter barrel and the lighter aluminum frame. It is a very comfortable holster but does not 'clip' on and off easily (snap belt loops).

I would go with the commander length barrel if I were going to carry it very much.

These days I like pancake holsters better. Much more comfortable. But, wardrobe is more critical since the gun is not inside the pants. Good thing is that these days long, baggy shirts are in fashion :)

nagantguy
12-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Commander length I feel is the best trade off, easy to carry handles well and shoots as good as my government model as far as leather I love the galco iwb and the alien gear holsters are also top notch at a great price!

Love Life
12-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Totally unrelated, but I'd love it if Ruger brought out a CCO version of the 1911.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Your reply were a big help for me
Thank you

jonp
12-16-2014, 06:51 PM
4" for carry with the full sized frame. I'm not fussy about holsters. I have a pancake I bought for $15 off of Amazon and wet molded it myself for a pistol and it works great

Love Life
12-16-2014, 07:08 PM
I've been known to "Mexican Carry" before.

Piedmont
12-16-2014, 10:11 PM
I used to own a Combat Commander and a Commander slide on an Officer's ACP frame. And full sized 1911s over the years. I will take the full size every single time. It is not a big gun anyway, compared to all but the smallest revolvers. The full length steel slide is part of what gives a 1911 its magic feel. The shorter barrel versions just don't hang as well.

Bullshop Junior
12-18-2014, 01:07 AM
question for the 1911 owners what length barrel do you like. use it would be carried but not my EDC but from
time to time and a range gun. and could i go wrong with Ruger's 1911
I like a standard 5" and the Ruger is the next one on my list.

Bullshop Junior
12-18-2014, 01:09 AM
I've been known to "Mexican Carry" before.
You might need to elaborate a bit more for those of us like myself who live under a rock.

Jupiter7
12-18-2014, 01:20 AM
You might need to elaborate a bit more for those of us like myself who live under a rock.

No holster, tucked in waistband. Works fine with 1911's and 2 manual safeties. Not recommended for glocks, XD's, M&P.....

Bullshop Junior
12-18-2014, 01:29 AM
Ah ok. I have carried my single six like that before.

45fan
12-18-2014, 02:20 AM
Totally unrelated, but I'd love it if Ruger brought out a CCO version of the 1911.

I am in the market for a CCO, really like the Dan Wesson but it don't have an ambi thumb safety and being a lefty that is a necessity. Who makes a quality CCO in the $1500 range (give or take couple hundred).

Bullshop Junior
12-18-2014, 02:22 AM
What is a CCO?

MtGun44
12-18-2014, 03:13 AM
CCO = Concealed Carry Officers. Officers' ACP length grip frame (6 rds instead of 7) and
Commander length slide.

I'd stick with the Dan Wesson for quality and add the ambi safety, 45fan. The DWs are
really gems.

Ruger 1911s are good ones, too. Have shot and improved triggers on a couple,
and they are very well made without the silly stuff on the firing pins - just a Ti firing pin
and slightly heavier spring. Still think this is pretty much a BS issue. If it happens, very
difficult to do, the bullet will disintegrate into fragments as it exits the bbl, cannot hurt
much - could do eye injury, though. NOT like firing an intact boolit/bullet from the
gun at all.

Bill

Bullshop Junior
12-18-2014, 07:39 AM
Ah ok. I handled a 6rd sig and really didn't care for it the grip was much too small for my hands

bobthenailer
12-18-2014, 08:25 AM
For a 45 auto pistol nothing shorter than 4" ! i have two 3.5" one 4" and several 5" and two 6"and at one time a 4.25" !

Love Life
12-18-2014, 08:25 AM
I am in the market for a CCO, really like the Dan Wesson but it don't have an ambi thumb safety and being a lefty that is a necessity. Who makes a quality CCO in the $1500 range (give or take couple hundred).

Colt Wiley Clap CCO or Dan Wesson.

Pepe Ray
12-18-2014, 06:35 PM
During my varied work history I spent a very miserable 3 years as a small town manager.
I carried a full size 1911 Colt pre series 70 with after market sights 7 D/W-365 D/Y.
Mexican carry. It was uncomfortable but very comforting. (Thank you Mr. Smith). It didn't take long to figure out
that I needed to trade the grips for rubber Pachmeyers. The added friction kept it under the waistband and not on the floor.
I'm old and retired now but would never change a thing should I need to go outside the wire again.
Pepe Ray