PDA

View Full Version : New 7/8 lee slug caster looking for clarity

Dtm870
12-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Hey guys

I purchased an 870 early this year which i put about 1k rounds through so far. I really enjoy shooting slugs but with a 5 back of rifled slugs from Wally world costing $4.67 before tax its way to expensive to shoot a hundred or so slugs at the range any given weekend. This is why I turned to you guys to help answer so questions

right now I am not hunting and I care about accuracy which is which is why I want to go with the 7/8 or 1oz slug

I purchased 70oz of pure lead on eBay for $80 shipped and got a lee loader ii

since I can't find powder online or instore I plan on purchasing 100 pack federal target loads emptying the shot inserting a nitro card and my castes slug until I can find powder

i understand pressure will be safe since I will be using a lighter weight load then the target 1 1/8oz load size with a slug. Since from the factory these shoot at about 1200fps will pressure drop too much using a 7/8 ounce slug vs 1 oz? From an accuracy/ distance stand point is there an advantage to either weight slug using the factory loads (hulls, wads, powder loads) from there target loads through my 870 with an smooth bore & imp choke?

i guess I should just start casting and find out for myself but figured you guys could help me decide between the 1 & 7/8oz mold due to my situation.

Hogtamer
12-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Welcome, and that will work except: 1)tedious as the devil; 2)hull won't crimp back with hard card in the wad; 3) a little patience will yield some powder. My best load is with Hodgdon Longshot which is available RIGHT now online from Natchez Shooters Supply. You will get decent accuracy from your 870 with the right components. See my post #14 in this thread. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?235404-sweet-lee-12ga-slug-handload

Dtm870
12-16-2014, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the response hogtamer. I have been doing a lot of research on casting and products to go with the lee slugs and keep coming back to the post you mentioned.

i didn't realize the slug wouldn't recrimp with the nitro card. That was one of the reasons I wanted to go 7/8 over 1oz since it was a bit shorter I wouldn't have a problem adding the card.

do you think I would get more fps out of the 7/8 or less since there would be less pressure with the lighter load? More fps should equate to better accuracy at a longer distance as well.. Right?

now I feel like it might be better to grab a round ball cast

Hogtamer
12-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Depending on the wad in the hull you empty you may actually be able to crimp back. Don,t worry about FPS to start. And I found the 7/8 load easier to group than the 1 oz.

FullTang
12-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Sounds to me like you've got the bug already, so you might as well gear up. Like you said, the cost of factory slugs is so much more, you will save a lot right away. Just get a Lee melting pot for around $35-40 new (http://www.titanreloading.com/melters/lee-precision-melter-110-volt, or splurge and get this one for a little more: http://www.titanreloading.com/melters/lee-production-pot-iv-melter-110-volt )
I've got the 7/8 mold, the 1 oz slug mold, and the .690 ball mold---love all of them, and if you have the money, you might as well get them all now. If you need to choose, the 7/8 oz is better for general target and "slug plinking" purposes, a bit more accurate, and more economical with lead.

You can also get a Lee Load All to make your own reloads, for very little up-front investment: http://www.titanreloading.com/presses/lee-load-all-2. A lot of folks will tell you that you can find a used MEC for the same amount, but I've never seen one for much less than new price---all depends on where you live.

Dtm870
12-16-2014, 09:47 AM
I purchased a Lee Production Pot IV along with the Load all II

Since i am up in NY & will be casting outdoors that is the main reason i have no problem waiting and doing some research on the mold i want to pickup. I looked into the MEC loader but i like the compact design of the Lee plus since i will only be loading slugs probably a hundred or two in a sitting the lee seems to fit fine for right now.

As for not worrying about FPS, i wouldnt say it was a huge concern for me just worried that dropping the payload from the original target weight of 1 1/8oz to 7/8oz might not be enough pressure for the powder to properly burn and fire the slug at the correct velocity. The consensus appears to say same weight payload is fine however we all know reducing the payload by more than 20% will have affects on powder/accuracy. Just didnt seem like many touched on the reduction in weight of payload from what i could find.

As well i do plan on loading from scratch once i can find some powder but want to at least start learning while i can start casting using the process of emptying the target loads.

Appreciate all the help & input here guys

FullTang
12-16-2014, 10:21 AM
That's great---and I think your timing is good; powder seems to be coming back, though it also depends on where you are in the country. I think the LLA2 is perfect for slugs, because you can use any powder charge, and you can do 6 or 8 point crimps without any extra parts required. Plus, it's not as sensitive to stack height as other machines, so these wildcat loads that we're all making are just a bit easier to do. Have fun!

Dtm870
12-17-2014, 08:48 AM
That's great---and I think your timing is good; powder seems to be coming back, though it also depends on where you are in the country. I think the LLA2 is perfect for slugs, because you can use any powder charge, and you can do 6 or 8 point crimps without any extra parts required. Plus, it's not as sensitive to stack height as other machines, so these wildcat loads that we're all making are just a bit easier to do. Have fun!

Yea hopefully I can find something local that isnt too expensive. I feel since its hunting season things have been off the shelves lately. I want to pick up one pounders of HS-6, Blue Dot, & Unique in order to do some testing to see what fits my need that way i can then get a big jug offline with pack of primers & the HazMat fee wont be too much of a burden.

Also any input on lowering the payload is much appreciated esp relating to powder amounts & even my original idea of using 7/8oz slug in a factory load designed for 1 1/8oz of shot.

I'll keep everyone updated with any progress i make or any testing i do. Happy shooting!

Treeman
12-18-2014, 12:50 AM
The only "issue" with lowering the payloads seems to be the possibility of bloopers do to pressures dropping too low.....but I have never experienced that. Study the charge tables and you will note that typical "max" slug loads use large amounts of "slow" powders. Lots of us have tried light charges of "fast" powders for low recoil slug loadings with great success. Intermediate velocity and recoil levels can be achieved subbing a one ounce slug for charges intended for 1 1/8-1 1/4 shot charges. Where you can find the same powder listed for max slug loads or for even heavier shot charges it becomes apparent that those 1 1/4 charge weights are well under max for the lighter slug....but I've never had a squib or "fizzle". We are continuously warned not to substitute components in shotshell loads but is is an area where a little prudence will rule out excessive pressure as a risk and the concern becomes bloopers. Mid speed powders for middle load levels seem to obviate that problem.

sthwestvictoria
12-18-2014, 02:09 AM
Hey guys
I purchased 70oz of pure lead on eBay for $80 shipped

Ouch! You need to sort out a local lead source - scrap yard, plumber, roofing contractor.
Good luck with the loads. I am about to trial the same however with the 1ounce mould.

FullTang
12-18-2014, 09:15 AM
I hope he meant 70 pounds! The post office will ship up to 70 lbs in a flat-rate box, so a lot of eBay sellers offer lots that size. I know some mailmen that aren't too happy about this practice!