PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Ammo Plant

reddoggm
12-15-2014, 09:44 PM
Does anyone here own a Hornady Ammo Plant got a friend who just bought 2 of them for $599.99 apiece on sale some where and wants to sell one for $700.00 which looks like a heck of a deal from what I was seeing these go for I was interested in getting one for my Father Whos hands don,t work as good with the Bullet and case feeding on his Pro 2000 anymore so I was gonna possibly P/U the Hornady for him for XMas but was wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these before I possibly P/U something that will give him more grief than Bullets
Thanks in advance
DOGG!!!

triggerhappy243
12-15-2014, 10:20 PM
for a moment there, I thought this thread was going to say the hornady ammo plant blew up. LOL

JimmyTheDentist
12-15-2014, 10:34 PM
I’m relatively new to reloading and started with the Hornady progressive press. It’s all I’ve ever known.

So please take this advice understanding that I’ve got limited exposure to all the other excellent tools available these days . . . including the Pro 2000. And I don’t use the Hornady to load anything exotic . . . I’ve been cranking out 9’s and 38/357 and 45acp by the bucket load.

Like anything else, you can always find bigger/better/fancier/pricier tools for the job. But ya simply can't beat that deal at $700.00.

Whether or not it's the solution for aging hands is a whole separate problem. Can't imagine all the moving pieces of the Ammo Plant will be much less vexing for your Dad than anything else he may be using already.

It seemed quite an effort to get the thing up and running smoothly. I started with the press and then added the case feeder later . . . and only recently added the bullet feeder. But now that all the kinks are worked out it seems to pay for itself over and over and over again . . . I shoot a lot.

Obviously, at that price especially, if it turns out to be too much trouble for your Father you can re-sell the thing (or even part it out) and you’re only out some time and aggravation. For what it's worth I've had great success with the unit and derived much satisfaction from all my futzing around on the Hornady.

Good luck.

JtheD

reddoggm
12-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Man ya scared me there we don,t need anymore blow ups/fires or closures

triggerhappy243
12-15-2014, 10:39 PM
reddog, did i miss a few?

DHC
12-15-2014, 10:52 PM
Does anyone here own a Hornady Ammo Plant got a friend who just bought 2 of them for $599.99 apiece on sale some where and wants to sell one for $700.00 which looks like a heck of a deal from what I was seeing these go for I was interested in getting one for my Father Whos hands don,t work as good with the Bullet and case feeding on his Pro 2000 anymore so I was gonna possibly P/U the Hornady for him for XMas but was wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these before I possibly P/U something that will give him more grief than Bullets
Thanks in advance
DOGG!!!

Couple of things.

I don't have the Ammo Plant exactly, since I do not yet have the bullet feeder. I have all the rest, however. If I were doing it again, I would *probably* step up to a Dillon 1050. Having said that, the Hornady LNL Progressive is a VERY good production machine. It requires some tweaking, but so do they all. Hornady's customer service is phenomenal. If your Dad is mechanically inclined and/or likes tinkering with equipment, then he will be really happy with the LNL. When it is 'dialed-in' it will pump out a ton of ammo in a hurry.

One important point that applies to ALL progressive equipment . . . be sure to purchase AND USE some form of system to identify/prevent over/under powder charges. I settled on the RCBS lock-out die even though I have the Hornady Powder Cop die. Hornady now offers a "Control Panel" with an alarm for over/under powder charges, but I like the positive STOP of the RCBS die better.

Offered FWIW