PDA

View Full Version : Question about LEE Loadmaster and Pro 1000

Lefty Red
12-15-2014, 09:01 PM
And no the answer isn't Dillon! LOL

While I have my Lee Classic Turret Press set up for 38's and the Lee PM uses the spring and is case activated.
Why does the progressive presses have to use the chain? Wouldn't the case activation work with as with the turrets?

Just wondering.....

Jerry

VHoward
12-15-2014, 09:42 PM
Yes, the spring will work with the pm on the loadmaster. The advantage of the chain is "if" you have to stop half way down with the ram and go all the way back up, you won't get a double charge whereas the spring would have already returned the pm back to ready to dispense another charge by then.

I preferred the spring return over the chain return. I loved the turret press. I really disliked Lees pro 1000 and loadmaster.

44Vaquero
12-16-2014, 03:12 AM
Lefty,

VHoward is correct! Lee invented the Safety Chain as a safety measure to avoid double charges, is it required? No, not really. In fact when the Load Master debuted in 1992 it came equipped the spring loaded version, the chain was still a few years away!

Operating any progressive is about paying attention to what you are doing and what is happening on the press. I run mine with a few simple rules:

1. Lever always moves stop to stop! No half strokes or start/stops

2. When encountering any resistance that is harder then normal? Stop and find out why? Never force the equipment! Clear the entire shell plate if needed?

3. Lee presses operate best with a steady motion and cadence, never try to run faster then the equipment.

4. Have a flash light and a small mirror laying around for checking powder drops. Some people light their machines with dedicated LED's etc.

Once you understand how they operate it really becomes second nature to run one.

dikman
12-16-2014, 05:27 AM
Aaah, I was wondering about that. It was obvious, from my playing around with it, that the spring version would work on the progressive, I just couldn't figure out why they went to the chain. Now I know :smile:.

Lefty Red
12-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Thank you gentlemen. I have seen several videos and read several postings about the chain and switching it out with a long spring. Now I know why as well.

Jerry

Guesser
12-16-2014, 10:21 AM
I took my lever operated powder measure and mounted it on my bench for use by hand, installed a drop tube and now use it to charge cases by hand. Couldn't do that with the spring return model.

gunoil
12-17-2014, 10:18 AM
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/null_zpsd9d5a778.jpg (http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/putt2012/media/null_zpsd9d5a778.jpg.html)

I have so many mods that are needed on loadmaster. This is one: the spring on the powder hopper, l change disk without removing powder unit. I check my powder.

If you want great ammo and own a lee loadmaster, heres the only way below:

mikesreloadingbench.com (dont just glance over, study this guys site).

burrkiss
12-17-2014, 10:25 AM
44 said it the best. I had the chain on my LM, but went to spring for simplicity. i dont double charge because i dont half stroke it.

1bluehorse
12-17-2014, 11:18 PM
I have A Lee Loadmaster press that I'm setting up to load 9mm with....I use the powder measure the way it was designed to be used on this press....with the chain....works just fine and it won't break if the unit is set up correctly....THAT part is the least of the worries to be solved with this press....

too many things
12-18-2014, 12:28 AM
lee made a good press but they made it for the guy that knows how to use it. they never thought about a novice
yes it has its down falls but so does Dillon . as 44 said if you get it right and don't force it works every time. I have had problems as all have, but most times its the user, the bullet feeder was worthless with lee TL lube. too many 45 jackets in tube was too. case feeder needs light lube and dirty brass was cause most of the time the disk measures are trash, the adjustable works very good
I have a Dillon 650 and use the lee the most
NONE is good for rifle as the shell plate is not strong enough but people will try it and then say it don't work .
best thing is to NEVER load rifle on them

1bluehorse
12-18-2014, 12:42 PM
My apologies on my last reply, comes off sorta like a slam and wasn't meant that way...and it wasn't a real answer to the question....as was stated the chain setup was/is Lee's way of trying to eliminate a double charge if press is stopped (for what ever reason) and then a restart before the case indexes to the next station....for that it works very well.....a lot of folks seem to denigrate the chain as "cheesy", chintzy, "toilet chain", etc; but it does the job it's designed to do....I have no issues with it at all and as long as it does it's job I could care less how it "looks" to others.....the return spring on the measure (like is used on the turret press) will also work, as will a setup like Gunoils, (obviously as he's using it) I've also seen wire "rods" utilized, and I'm sure a string or good rubber band would also work in lieu of the chain.... Personally I like the spring return of the Pro Disk measure, (but not on the Loadmaster as I don't feel it's as "safe" and it also adds more "effort" to work the system) and it's waaaaaay stronger than is necessary and I've changed mine out for less strenuous ones when used with that configuration....to summate, the chain is "safer" and requires less "effort" to work the press than the Lee spring return....just my opinion...

charlie b
12-18-2014, 02:10 PM
I use my LM to load rifle stuff all the time. But, I only neck size with a collet die.

If I want to FL size I use a single stage.

And, yes, the chain works fine. I have even used mine without spring or chain, just move it by hand. And I like the disks. I don't load max with them, usually load at min levels, and have had no issues with them.

Lefty Red
12-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I was basicly just asking the differance because I never understood the reason for the chain.
I am helping a friend set up his Pro 1000 for 40 S$W for his spare bedroom. I don't use either myself.
Jerry

dikman
12-18-2014, 08:11 PM
1bluehorse, I've decided to go with the spring on the autodisk (on my pro1000) simply because it's a simpler, neater system. However, I agree with you about the spring requiring too much force to operate, so I modified mine to reduce the force needed to push up. Still works fine.

r1kk1
12-18-2014, 09:22 PM
I have a Dillon 650 and use the lee the most
NONE is good for rifle as the shell plate is not strong enough but people will try it and then say it don't work .
best thing is to NEVER load rifle on them

I load .17 Ackley Hornet - .50 AK on mine. Tubb and Whidden use progressives to load their stuff. I started loading 33 Winchester and 38-56 Winchester stuff in the mid 80s on mine. 7 TCU was another at that time as well as 8mm-06, 45-70 and several wildcats. Not a problem.

take care

r1kk1

44Vaquero
12-18-2014, 09:22 PM
dikman,

There is a reason why the stock spring is stiff! Lee adopted a one size fits all better bigger and stronger concept for the spring. Single disk, Double disk, Flake, Ball and Stick powder etc.

One worth while modification to the stock safety disk spring set up, is grinding a relief on the underside of powder measure body. Sometimes the coils catch on the reinforcing rib and cause the measure to be jerky during operation.

For those of you still wanting the safety of a connection to the ram. I suggest the bike spoke mod:

124735 124736

You can even visit a bike shop and get a red anodized spoke.

dikman
12-19-2014, 07:15 AM
Thanks Vaquero, makes sense about the stiff spring, as I'm only using it with Trail Boss it didn't occur to me about other types of powder. I'd already noticed the rib catching on the coils, but my mod has kept the spring clear of the rib so I don't have to grind it down.