PDA

View Full Version : What Is It With Items Sold That Are Defective???

leadman
12-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Lately I can't seem to buy an item from various manufacturers that actually is in spec and works. Molds cut way beyond drawing specs, three 22 caliber barrel liners bent or out of spec from 2 different sources, a lyman M die expander that is undersized and slips in a full length sized case neck, is for a 6.5 and only measures .261". The tech at Lyman argued with me about this being undersized. Told me .004" case neck tension was good for a cast bullet and the bullet would not be sized down.

Then there are the 4 spark plugs from 2 different manufacturers that were bad.

Also received a used Arisaka 6.5 bolt that was so worn out it should have been junked from one of the largest used gun parts dealers.

Bought an endoscope camera and mirror off E-Bay that the software would not work, seller shipped another that had the same problem. The dealer tried to get me to agree to taking about 1/3 of what it cost me as a return. Still waiting on credit for this.

Seems I'm running about 80% or more in defective merchandise. As far as gun stuff why do the manufacturers ignore the SAAMI standards? Isn't this why SAAMI was established so items could be made to a standard size?

I'm about ready to become a couch potato and get fat(er) and lazy. Jerry Springer here I come! LOL

salpal48
12-15-2014, 08:13 PM
You have a good Point. Except for the jap bolt which the word good is in the eye of the beholder. At one time all companys had a quality control dept. or had people who care. now the consumer is the quality control. There is also very few rejects. . Parts , plugs , hats, everything is made by the billions and shipped. If you complain you get a free one. You then hope the next one is good. Co's hope this will shut you up. again quality is not be be discussed. It's cheaper to send you another. . if your the type who does not complain . you loose. .Co's only listen when there profits slide or or is someone Dies
. There is you answer
Sal

KYCaster
12-15-2014, 08:41 PM
Maybe this will help you understand.........

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?262572-Gun-prices-online-vs-local-dealer-markup

Not the entire problem, but certainly a big part of it.

When we abandon the local retailers in favor of lower prices, we give up most of our leverage in the market place. My complain about an inferior product or service may not mean much, but combined with a few similar complaints, a mom and pop operation will be more likely to listen than some body in another state who can't look you in the eye when they answer your questions.

Like it or not, our buying habits have changed the landscape of retail sales to the point that the lowest price wins over any other consideration, and locally owned businesses are closing their doors as a result....leaving us with the low bidder as the only option available.

Want to change it for the better? Start buying from somebody who will actually listen to your complaints and who has the authority to satisfy your complaint.

We made this bed......now we have nowhere else to sleep.

Jerry

salpal48
12-15-2014, 08:47 PM
Your answer was totally correct and an eye opener to the american Buying Public
Maybe this will help you understand.........

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?262572-Gun-prices-online-vs-local-dealer-markup

Not the entire problem, but certainly a big part of it.

When we abandon the local retailers in favor of lower prices, we give up most of our leverage in the market place. My complain about an inferior product or service may not mean much, but combined with a few similar complaints, a mom and pop operation will be more likely to listen than some body in another state who can't look you in the eye when they answer your questions.

Like it or not, our buying habits have changed the landscape of retail sales to the point that the lowest price wins over any other consideration, and locally owned businesses are closing their doors as a result....leaving us with the low bidder as the only option available.

Want to change it for the better? Start buying from somebody who will actually listen to your complaints and who has the authority to satisfy your complaint.

We made this bed......now we have nowhere else to sleep.

Jerry

Bad Water Bill
12-15-2014, 11:37 PM
I bought a NEW S&W 638 which came with a supposedly cartridge fired from the gun.

When I tried to pull the hammer back it took BOTH hands to pull it back.

The cylinder actually cut a grove into the frame.

How could any competent inspector let this gun out of the factory?

S&W sent me the paperwork to return the gun for inspection.

Giving credit when it is due it took less than 4 weeks door to door to have it fixed.

The big problem that will remain as long as I own it is the grooves cut in the frame.

Who will ever pay me full value for a gun with these grooves cut in the frame.

wv109323
12-15-2014, 11:51 PM
With the recent demand of firearms and accessories, quality control usually goes out the door. The company I worked for would turn flip-flops to meet the quarterly forecast set by the bean counters. The big-wigs bonus was based on shipments.
Another problem is a shortage of skilled labor especially machinists. Then there is ignorance of the work force of the final product and how the end product should function.
Also we are in a mindset that nothing is repairable and everything is throw away. Designs are meant to have a limited life so that repeat sales can take place.
E-bay is a good place to dump second quality products with less than full disclosure. Or whoever has the item got it from an estate sale and knows nothing about what is being sold. It amazes me what some things sell for on ebay.

beagle
12-16-2014, 12:08 AM
Bought a new M29 sometime back and had about 33% failures to fire. New or reloaded ammo. Firing pin was short and they replaced it after my gun shop owner raised a ruckus over the phone and told them it was short./beagle

Frank46
12-16-2014, 12:27 AM
All of the above and that also includes stuff made in china and branded for the American market. Seems with the stuff made for just the whole market is made somewhere else and shipped to here. When was the last time you actually saw a tv and radio repair shop or a shoe store that actually does repairs (cobbler) on shoes. I know I have not seen one in many a moon. That and we have a disposable econemny that when it's worn out, no longer works, or even goes out of style we junk it and go out and get a new item. Frank

leadman
12-16-2014, 01:14 AM
I do buy from local business frequently. The problem is about the only thing for cast boolits I can buy locally is the gas checks for $40 per thousand for the 30 caliber. The spark plugs were bought locally also. I have been wrenching for 47 years and only had one bad new plug until this recent episode.

The Arisaka bolt had wear on the bolt body almost half way thru the metal. I had to hold the bolt handle up and away from the bolt stop to get the gun to release the firing pin. The company did take it back.