PDA

View Full Version : Lee pro 1000 questions

dj454
12-15-2014, 04:31 PM
First these are questions for people who have or had a pro 1000. I am not looking for suggestions for other brands. I have been using a 3 hole Lee auto turret for about 10 years now. I started casting this year and now I am reloading a lot more and I am considering the pro 1000. I already have the turrets and dies and 2 auto disks so I am not looking to switch brands and start over.

I have been reading reviews and I am aware of the priming issues. I have never primed in the press and I will not start now. I hand prime my brass while I watch tv and I will continue doing so that makes no difference to me.

My questions are will my standard autodisks work or will I have to convert them to the pro? I have already changed them to the charge bar. Next I plan to load 9mm,40, 10mm and 38 special. 9mm 40 and 10 all use the same shell plate. Will I need just a #1 shell plate to convert to 38 special or the whole assembly? Thanks for the help.

dikman
12-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Bear in mind that I'm new to this, having just bought a (very) used Pro 1000, which I've had to spend a fair bit of time fixing up (I'm getting very good at removing/dismantling the carrier assembly - which is actually pretty easy to do). I've done a lot of reading about them and watched lots of youtube videos.

The Autodisks should be fine. The only reason to convert to the Pro is so that you can shut off the hopper to remove it for emptying. Mine came with two Autodisks, one of which I'm converting to a Pro (because I wanted a swivel and the adjustable charge bar it made more sense to buy the kit) the other I've fitted as is to my 4-hole turret press.

As for converting to .38, you only need to change the plate itself, but if you're likely to be swapping it fairly often it makes more sense to buy a complete carrier assembly, it's much quicker to swap over the whole assembly.

Boolit_Head
12-15-2014, 06:34 PM
I'm using a pro 1000 I bought in the late 80's. Still using the autodisks even had a double disk set so I could combine two small holes to get fine changes. The powder hopper just broke so I just ordered the upgrade kit for the powder dispenser. It comes with the adjustable bar so we'll see how that works. My carrier does not have the attachment for the spring but I hear Lee will sell the upgrade for half price.

I was in your shoes as well, changed out shell plates for various calibers and swapped a turret with the dies. I ran 9, 40/10, 45, 38/357, and 223 on my press.

KYCaster
12-15-2014, 11:15 PM
9mm and 10mm use the same shell plate???????

Jerry

dj454
12-15-2014, 11:22 PM
9mm and 10mm use the same shell plate???????

Jerry
Yes 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm, 38 super, 9x23 winchester, 357 Sig all use the same shell plate.

too many things
12-15-2014, 11:38 PM
NO and a 40 cal plate wont work they make a L for the 10mm as it uses a large pistol primer. I dont have the number here but it seems like its a 19L for the 10mm if you prime on press, but he said he wasn't so it would work for him

dj454
12-15-2014, 11:42 PM
NO and a 40 cal plate wont work they make a L for the 10mm as it uses a large pistol primer. I dont have the number here but it seems like its a 14L for the 10mm if you prime on press, but he said he wasn't so it would work for him
Just double checked the Lee website the #19 shell plate fits the 9mm,10mm,40 and 38 super yes the primer is different for the 10mm but I'm not priming on the press.

dikman
12-15-2014, 11:50 PM
Boolit Head, they'll do you a deal on it, but I figure it can't be that hard to make some sort of attachment point.

too many things
12-15-2014, 11:57 PM
the 9mm is a bit smaller they say it works but you will find that it don't and on resize it may leave the brass in the die
I stopped using the load master for 9mm for that reason .

rmatchell
12-16-2014, 02:17 AM
I use the pro with the adjustable charge bar and never have any real problems. As for the shell plate its easy to change only a few minutes.

Loudenboomer
12-16-2014, 09:38 AM
I owned a Pro 1000 for a short while. IMHO. Buy a Dillon and don't look back.

dj454
12-16-2014, 10:11 AM
I looked into a Dillon 650 but to get one set up for 1 calliber I can set the Lee up for all the calibers I load because I already have dies and powder measures. Unless I hit the lottery or get an inheritance I won't be buying a Dillon anytime soon. Lee has served me well for 10 years.

Boolit_Head
12-16-2014, 12:47 PM
I pulled mine out and get it running 45 acp after many years. It was working fine with one case running through. Filled the case feeder and started having noting but problems. Turned out a handful of those insidious small primer 45 acp cases had gotten into the batch. Once I got those out of there it was all smooth.

garym1a2
12-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Theirs one in every Lee thread.

jmort
12-16-2014, 01:21 PM
True. Every thread involving Lee Precision should start with "Lee sucks" and "Dillon is the greatest" to avoid useless, worthless posts.

Lefty Red
12-16-2014, 02:28 PM
The reason most of us go into casting and shooting was to save money. Yeah, we found out that wasn't going to happen but it did allow us to shoot more and a wider range of ammo and bullet design cheaper. So saving money or doing things cheaper is on the minds of allot of us. And I dare say most of us have a limited amount of "fun money" to spend on our hobbies because we are responsible adults and pay bills.

And I would say any of us would want a Big Blue or Other Red or Dark Forrest Green or Lighter Sage Green press if they were within 10-15% of a LEE progressive. But they are not. Most are twice to four times the price. Does that mean they are twice or four times the machine the LEE is? Very doubtful. People act like its just a $50 differance between a Loadmaster and a Dillon or LNL. It isn't. Its allot! Are least its allot to me. And I want to reload and shoot. Not sit around the parlor showing off my Big Blue Johnson. And yes I would love to drive to work in a BMW, but my Ford gets me there and back. I would love to have Freedom Arms 83 or 97 in every caliber I have a Ruger in, but my Rugers shoot and kill deer just the same. And I am hunting and shooting NOW as oppose to "maybe next year or season."

And yes, I did just sell off allot of LEE equipment. I also kept allot of LEE equipment. I basicly just got rid of calibers and their components. I would have done the same with any color. And I will say I did it cheaper with LEE. I wouldn't have been able to venture into paper patching or casting or big bore calibers if it wasn't for LEE. The first thing I do when looking at a new weapon of caliber is if LEE has a mold or dies set for it. Yes I did just upgrade to a Redding T7 press. I did this to replace two LEE Classic Turrets and one Classic Cast I had set up all over. I didn't need them anymore because I am not reloading for 8-10 calibers anymore. I actually sold or gave them away to get others set up in reloading and shooting. One friend wouldn't be able to do it if if costed over $100. He know has a CTP set up with a LEE Pro Disk PM on LEE dies from me. He is smiles knowing that he shoot three or four times more with his "fun money" over buying commercial ammo. He couldn't be able to do that if he was brow beaten into the Big Blue Flu or Mean Green Thing! He might even have just stopped shooting because he couldn't do it as much as he liked or if there is another ammo shortage. But because he has a LEE, he can produce his own quality safe ammo cheaper and he is getting out and supporting our hobby. BTW, I do have one CTP set up in a buddy's garage. It has a turret head setup for my casted LEE 158-RF over WW 231 and another turret head set up for commercial WCs. I just didn't need two other CTPs and a CC. They can now be replaced by my T-7. It saves me space.

So I say that yes metal is always the best option over plastic. That iron is better for the long run than aluminum. But if I have to sit around and not be able to reload or shoot versus having a less than perfect tool and getting out and supporting the shooting sports then everyone loses! This is not a rich man's hobby, or at least it doesn't have to be. We shouldn't be classifying ability or "rank" based upon money spent on equipment. People shouldn't have to not shoot or made to feel less than a shooter because of the color of his brand!

Jerry

Loudenboomer
12-16-2014, 02:35 PM
Awww come on I said Humble opinion. I own and Like a lot of lee stuff... sheez.

Lefty Red
12-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Awww come on I said Humble opinion. I own and Like a lot of lee stuff... sheez.

Take your Big Blue Johnson and scaddle! :kidding:

My posting was all of penned up frustration from reading several threads where a person asks and serious and meaningful question about a piece of equipment he owns and then people just say throw it out and get this. Like we all are made of money. Hell, if I was as rich as my ex and the judge think I am, I would be showing off my Big Blue Johnson! LOL But I am not and after pay to keep my ex and her new husband in the life style the court says they should be accustom to, I am frugal on my hobby spending.

r1kk1
12-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Dj454

Look at your needs now and into the future. You have two choices with Lee, either the Pro 1000 or the LM. The advantage of the LM is it can do rifle and its on its third primer update. The true advantage of progressive reloading is the ability to load cartridges from start to finish including priming. That being said, Lee desperately needs to bring out new shellplates for both presses. They have not been updated for a very long time. The LM has the least amount of cartridge versatility compared to other companies progressive presses. For a time Lee had a 500 S&W shellplates. Too bad it didn't make it into production.

I remember when Lee made moulds ranging from .22-45 caliber and they were a regular production item. I'm still trying to forget the Load Fast. Remember, a reloading room with any equipment is not an overnight purchase. Research, pull the handle on your choice of press, analyze your current and future needs, and make your choice. Understand the limitations of whatever you bought, (for example, I hate it when I can't use one decapping die from .17 to .50 cal without changing innards or have two dies), solidly mount your chosen press, and go to work.

I hate it when Lee and Dillon are in the same thread. Two totally different companies.

I load quite a few wildcats, obsolete, and proprietary cartridges. I also load stuff not available from the factory with components I choose. I have a powder funnel limitation with my choice of progressive press so hopefully Buckshot can make me one. This will be for a custom revolver in .500 Linebaugh. Now for a crimp die for a necked down .475 Linebaugh for my wife's revolver, I think Hornady can solve this, if not CH4D can.

All I can say is this, keep your equipment cleaned and maintained, solidly mounted, it should be trouble free. My progressive may not be a Star progressive, but since the mid 80s has been trouble free. Now when that .17 Hornet barrel gets here, life will be good. My equipment is not an overnight purchase. The last press I bought was a Summit last year. My progressive paid for itself when I loaded close to 1,000 33 Winchesters not to mention 38-56 Winchesters.

I'm not a Lee hater. They don't have any press that would push any of the four single stages I own or progressive or shotshell press off my bench. I always look for versatility, that's important to me. My needs are different.

Good luck in your choice and have fun!

take care

r1kk1

charlie b
12-17-2014, 02:12 PM
For the original question, I'd not worry about the autodisk. Use it with the new press. I do use the shut off feature of the pro version just because it is there and is convenient. The nice thing about the Lee turret is you can just remove the turret and pour the power out. Then remove the measure and put it on the other turret. Used the classic turret for many years and it served me well. The low cost and strength of the press allowed me to do a lot for little money. Including using the press for other stuff, like bullet swaging! Tough little thing.

I love my Loadmaster. And, yes, almost all the problems I have had were related to the automatic case and bullet feeder (and were usually MY error). These days I just put the cases and bullets in by hand as I am not trying to load that many rounds in a sitting. The rest of the problems have been with the primer setup. But, once tweaked it all works just as it should.

PS the only reason I have the LM instead of Pro 1000 is I wanted to load rifle cartridges on it.

Moonie
12-25-2014, 12:19 AM
I have both the Pro1000 and the LoadMaster. I use the Pro1000 for 45acp and 45 Colt. I use the LM for everything else.

OuchHot!
12-25-2014, 03:57 PM
My first progressive was a pro1000 and in that era there weren't the wonderful videos by CowboyT (aka sf liberal with a gun) so I had to figure out the Way of the Lee on my own. Before figuring out how to run the thing, I nearly threw it through the wall. After that, even with extensive exposure to Dillon (SQdB and 450's) I was happy. Currently, I only use the pro1k for 38sp and 357 loads and do not change the caliber (two other, much more expensive progressives on the bench for other uses). If I wanted to change caliber regularly, I think that I would get the carrier rather than just the shell plate. I had no qualms with the standard auto disc even with BE but if I changed powder regularly, I would want the pro auto disk or a separate measure. Once I "got it" the pro1k works very well....I would not hesitate to buy another two or three.