PDA

View Full Version : What's a better manual

Marlin Junky
02-16-2008, 05:55 PM
I need to update my load books and was wondering whether to buy the Lyman 48th edition or the 3rd edition of their Cast Bullet Handbook... which looks to have the same cover it did 25 years ago. My emphasis is on .35 caliber rifles. Copper patched data can be used as a reference for cast data as far as I'm concerned but the more data the better, especially using medium to moderately slow rifle powders (2015 to 4350).

MJ

NVcurmudgeon
02-16-2008, 06:09 PM
I need to update my load books and was wondering whether to buy the Lyman 48th edition or the 3rd edition of their Cast Bullet Handbook... which looks to have the same cover it did 25 years ago. My emphasis is on .35 caliber rifles. Copper patched data can be used as a reference for cast data as far as I'm concerned but the more data the better, especially using medium to moderately slow rifle powders (2015 to 4350).

MJ
I recommend both of the Lyman books. IIRC, the 48th has more data for the slower powders. OTOH, the 3rd CB book has more cast specific data, and some interesting ballistic charts on Lyman's more popular CBs. If a free 3rd CB book with the covers chewed off by Nelson, my beloved and departed wirehair terrier, would be of any interest, PM me your snail address. I have already replaced it but can't stand to toss a manual! I wouldn't advise paying full list for a 1980 book that may be updated any time.

45 2.1
02-16-2008, 06:10 PM
No one manual is going to give you everything you want. I have everything Lyman has put out since manual #38 and sometimes those are not enough.

Pepe Ray
02-16-2008, 10:17 PM
I don't have every manual published, by any means, but I do have a respectable sample of most of them. I've browsed the gun shop book shelves trying to find an illuminating specimen but nothing has caught my interest lately.
Today there are many new books.
Lyman manuals predominate for the simple reason that the selling of tools does not slant the selection of loads like the selling of bullets does. Everything Speer publishes is based on Speer bullets, likewise Hornady, Nosler etc. Following this view I've found that Hodgden has the most liberal and comprehensive manual of all the others. I'm speaking of the Hard covered edition, not the annual. They include loads from the other big powder companies which publish data, as well as lead bullet loads.
If I had to recommend one other than Lyman it would be the Hodgden HC. I have both the 26th & 27th Ed's. The 27th is a Fancy 3 ring binder, much easier to update, but I keep going back to the standard HC 26 ed. I even picked up an extra at a gun show last year for a shooting buddy. If you've got some time and a gun show coming up it would pay you to cruise the tables for one.
That's my story AISTI.
Pepe Ray

IcerUSA
02-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Check the Lee second edition also , I use the Lyman's and Lee both , the Lyman Cast manual has alot of the pistol powders in it , the Lee tends to use rifle powders for lead .

Both help make a good decission for your loads .

Keith

mooman76
02-17-2008, 04:00 PM
If you have to choose just one I'd say the lyman 48 but if you were just getting started in casting I'd say the Lyman cast book but as others have said get both. You could get one and then the other some time in the future!

runfiverun
02-17-2008, 09:48 PM
the thing about the lee is it uses loads that are in the oyher books just compiled
together.
however they don't tell you what case,or primer was used.
they do give you case volumes and such which i like

Ken O
02-17-2008, 10:31 PM
I have a stack of manuals also, but like the Lyman 48 the most. I also have quite a few of the one caliber "load books", so you might also get the one for the .35. They are only about six bucks or so, and have the data from most the bullet and powder companys.

You can also go the the websites of the componet manufactors and download the data.

Adam10mm
02-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Get the Lyman #48. Their cast bullet #3 book is outdated. Published in 1983 and doesn't include a host of really great cartridges. It is the same book published 25yrs ago. It was published in 1983 with no updates. It was a waste of money for me. Never learned a damn thing.

Lyman needs to get off their ass.

If you want mine, I'm willing to part with it for $10 shipped.

easy ed
02-17-2008, 10:39 PM
I would go with the Lyman 48th. Has a lot of good loads

S.R.Custom
02-18-2008, 12:32 AM
My emphasis is on .35 caliber rifles.

If you have an old Lyman manual, it's as good as the new one. As a matter of fact, I've found that to be true of just about any reloading manual. The only problem comes when you have to have data for the latest gee-whiz powder or new caliber that all the kids are suddenly using. (This dinosaur doesn't have that problem. [smilie=1: )

But if you want all the latest info on a particular caliber, this is the way to go:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=118605