PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCR in 9mm?

wrench
12-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Anybody bought one of these yet? I've got quite a few revolvers, all older ones, as I love blued steel and walnut. :bigsmyl2:
I am strangely drawn to the idea of a 'modern', plastic revolver in 9mm.
I've been reading around the web, most I've read has been favorable, except for one guy complaining about bullet pull tying up the cylinder.
Thoughts or experiences?

Jeff82
12-15-2014, 02:07 PM
I've handled a few, not the 9mm though. What stood out was the nice trigger pull. I still prefer my Model 36, but I'm sure for pocket carry it would do nicely.

str8wal
12-15-2014, 09:32 PM
I have a 38 caliber version and like it a lot. Not a fan of moon clips for a carry gun so the 9 doesn't interest me.

BigAl52
12-15-2014, 10:33 PM
I also have the 38 special in the lcrx. I love mine because of the trigger and the weight. I already had an sp101 hammerless in 357 so I went after this one for the weight. I have carried it every where since I bought it. I rarely leave home without it. Al

Love Life
12-15-2014, 11:03 PM
I didn't even know such a creature existed. Now I want to shoot one!!

ruizhernandeztrust
12-15-2014, 11:08 PM
I don't like it because the grip is too short for my liking. The rest of the revolver is amazing though.

Bullshop Junior
12-16-2014, 02:32 AM
I have a 38 caliber version and like it a lot. Not a fan of moon clips for a carry gun so the 9 doesn't interest me.
I don't believe it uses a moon clip.

str8wal
12-16-2014, 11:25 AM
I don't believe it uses a moon clip.

From what I've heard it does.

wrench
12-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Thanks for all the input, guys. I'll probably have to buy one. :)
Re: the moon clips, what I've read is that you can use the revolver without them, as 9mm headspaces on the end of the case, but they won't eject as the ejector has nothing to push against. If you want the ejector to work, you need the moonclips.

Love Life
12-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Moonclips are the bomb. I've owned a couple revolvers that used clips in 38 special and 45 acp, and I have never had an issue. I carried these guns a good bit and in rugged conditions. As long as I didn't use the moon clips to try and sharpen sticks into spears, then they worked out well.

bedbugbilly
12-16-2014, 08:07 PM
wrench . . . your assignment for the day is to buy one, use it and report back to us on the pros and cons . . .

and no cheating like using "Cliff Notes" instead of reading the book! LOL

I had a LCR 357 - a good revolver but traded it off for my Smith Model 36. I've heard abut their 9mm LCR but would really like to hear some first hand thoughts on it by someone who owns one and can give the pros and cons. I've never personally used moon clips - I can see how they'd work fine with the 9mm in the case of being a carry piece but I don't think I'd like the ejection problems if they weren't utilized? Ruger has certainly come out with some interesting "new" ones and it wil be interesting to see how well they are received. I have a number of Ruger handguns - never had any issues with any of them.

Treeman
12-18-2014, 11:00 AM
I love the LCRs.-a 38 a 357 and a .22 I don't have a 9mm LCR but I do have another snubby 9mm. The 9x19 is super efficient. In a snub it pretty much equals the 357 with light bullets with less blast and recoil. I'm still a.357 fan.....but it is nowhere near as efficient as the 9. Personally I hate moon clips but they do make for fast loading. For plinking I shoot without them and flip empties out with my fingers.