PDA

View Full Version : Herters brass

texasbilly
12-15-2014, 11:49 AM
I acquired a small quantity of Herters 44mag brass. I had a great deal of difficulty inserting primers, and I crushed more than one in the process. I cleaned out the primer pocket, and used a pocker "uniformer", but it made no difference. When I finally had them loaded, they would not cycle through my Ruger Super Blackhawk. Apparently the rims must be too thick, because every one of them would not rotate into position in front of the firing pin. (all other brands rotated without difficulty).

Did I get a bad lot, or are other shooters having the same problem?

WallyM3
12-15-2014, 11:59 AM
A quick Google reveals that you have lots of company in that regard.

Herter's TM is owned by Midway, IIRC, and the brass, I heard, was Starline...which makes these experiences puzzling since I've never found bad Starline (this decade).

Do you have any means by which to accurately measure ID (yea, I know. Interference fits are a matter of tenths of thousandths)? That'll give you an idea of what all's going on there.

atr
12-15-2014, 12:02 PM
I've never had a problem with Herters..that said my Herters brass is old brass from the late 60's
and again I have not had problems with Starline...which is recent manuf. brass

sounds like you got a bad batch

USSR
12-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Herter's TM is owned by Midway, IIRC, and the brass, I heard, was Starline...which makes these experiences puzzling since I've never found bad Starline (this decade).

The new Herters brass is NOT made by Starline, it is made by S&B, so there is no surprise that the primer pockets are tight. Using a uniformer won't help you, as a uniformer only increases the depth of a primer pocket, not the width. The best thing you can do is use a chamfering tool to put a bevel on the leading edge of the primer pocket so you can get a better start on inserting the primer.

Don

WallyM3
12-15-2014, 07:21 PM
Thank you for that correction.

A primer pocket swager should do the job.

texasbilly
12-15-2014, 07:26 PM
I did use a chamfering tool to bevel the leading edge of the primer pocket. It really didn't help much, but at least they went in. Once the primers started into the pocket, however, they all flattened from the required pressure to completely seat them. Regarding the OD at the base, they are within tolerance. The problem appears to be with the rim. It seems that the thickness of the rim is oversized, and will not allow the casing to pass into position.

I decided to give the loaded rounds to another shooter with the warning that they may not work in his revolver either. He can shoot or discard them. I, for one, am avoiding Herters 44mag brass in the future.

Edster
12-15-2014, 07:26 PM
+1 for the chamfering. I have a RCBS crimp remover/chamfer tool on the case prep center at all times. Get a tight one, chamfer, and install primer.

WallyM3
12-15-2014, 07:30 PM
If the diameter of the primer pocket is smaller than the average run of good brass cases, it will take greater force to insert the primer. A uniformer should be spec diameter for the intended primer pocket or it will merely create a step somewhere at the base of the primer pocket.

I (meaning just me) wouldn't use a chamfering tool (if referring to the cutting tooth type) on a primer pocket. Least wise, not on a brass case whose metal can be displaced.

1911KY
12-16-2014, 06:08 PM
I have this same problem with their 45 acp brass. I was thinking about getting the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo or the Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer to see if it will fix the issue. Any thoughts on using either of these to expand the pocket?

WallyM3
12-16-2014, 06:33 PM
I'd rather displace metal than cut it away, but, under the circumstances, you'd really only be taking a finish cut to complete S&B's work. Some sort of jigging and fixturing is a really good idea to keep the holes squared-to cylinders.

Good excuse to get a lathe (if you haven't got one already).

Last year I did some 2,500 pieces of 7.62 and 30-06 with somebody's uniformer and a stop (can't remember the name). I found at high speed I was smearing brass on the depth stop. I just clopped in into back-gear and it went slower, but better. That uniformer is basically a special purpose end mill or short-fluted, 180º drill.

ravelode
12-16-2014, 07:10 PM
S&B brass always has tight primer pockets in my experince, even the .45 ACP they make for Winchester can be a pain to seat primers in

1911KY
12-16-2014, 10:02 PM
I am now considering a CH4D swage kit as well.

WallyM3
12-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Anything that can make an undersized hole conform to your desired specs, and is convenient to you, will work. It really isn't rocket surgery, though I would probably achieve a degree of apparent sagacity by maintaining that it was. (LOL)

1911KY
12-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Rocket surgery! It is not! Just tryin to figure out what would work best. The hornady reamer may allow for more user error, where the RCBS and CH4D give you the confinements of using the press.

WallyM3
12-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Whoa! My remarks weren't meant as an insult.

I really don't know what equipment you have on hand, and don't know what your likes and dislikes about procedure are, so I was suggesting a degree of personal choice. I have other means by which to accomplish certain metal forming operations, others have others.

I retire from the contest.

1911KY
12-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Not taken that way at all, I was laughing when I read your comments. Learned a new word as well! Don't see sagacity too often. I appreciate the thoughts.

MtGun44
12-18-2014, 03:18 AM
S&B brass is PITA! Hard to seat primers!!! Somebody over there needs to get
an accurate primer pocket dimension to shoot for.

Bill

MtGun44
12-18-2014, 03:19 AM
I have a CH4 pocket swager somewhere that is surplus to my needs, if you can wait until
Jan for me to find time to dig it out and figure out how much is a reasonable price.

Bill