PDA

View Full Version : TrueLine Jr, chasing threads

Wayne Smith
12-15-2014, 09:07 AM
One of the holes on the head of my TrueLine Jr. has a problem. Screwing a die in it jams about two thirds of the way down. I need the threads chased and have no hope of doing it my self if the appropriate tap is even available.

I am hoping one of you guys has already solved this problem and has the tap and would be willing to chase that hole for me. Those fine threads would drive me crazy trying to keep a tap straight if I tried, I know how unsteady my hands are for such work.

It's not really an immediate problem, I don't use the 55 on this so i am using it as is. I would just like it right.

Wayne Smith
12-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Charlie the Frog PM'd me and rescued me.

mdi
12-16-2014, 01:15 PM
I have used, on many occasions, a grade 8 bolt to "fix" damaged threads. I use a hacksaw to cut a groove in the bolt, lengthwise, to produce "teeth" to help push the threads back into place. Normally the "teeth" won't cut like a tap, but aid in straightening out damaged threads without the danger of cutting good threads out when trying to fix a damaged thread...

Wayne Smith
12-17-2014, 09:50 AM
I have used, on many occasions, a grade 8 bolt to "fix" damaged threads. I use a hacksaw to cut a groove in the bolt, lengthwise, to produce "teeth" to help push the threads back into place. Normally the "teeth" won't cut like a tap, but aid in straightening out damaged threads without the danger of cutting good threads out when trying to fix a damaged thread...

Yeah, but try finding one that fits the Lyman 310 threads!

mdi
12-17-2014, 01:09 PM
5/8-11 or 5/8-18? Both are regular old hardware store stuff...

44Vaquero
12-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Nope! Won't work 5/8 30 is the magic number for Lyman 310 dies.

Char-Gar
12-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Nope! Won't work 5/8 30 is the magic number for Lyman 310 dies.

5/8 X 30 will work, if you can find one, which you can't, but the Lyman threads are actually a little off from that size. If anybody wants a tap and/or die for these 310/Tru-Line Jr, threads they will have to have one made, which is a costly project. There are a few folks around that have done so and count yourself blessed if you know one of them.

The guy that runs the 310 Shop makes these dies, so he must have right right tooling. I don't know if he accepts repair work or not.

44Vaquero
12-17-2014, 03:05 PM
That's kind of the point Char-Gar I also kind of remember seeing that some were 5/8 x28 too? I wish that I could find article.

Yes, I believe he does do repair work. I have e-mailed him a couple of times for advice and information on tong-tools!

Reg
12-17-2014, 03:12 PM
My understanding is that the thread that Lyman used is actually .600 x 18. 5/8" works out to .625, .025 bigger than the .600 dimension. You can easley run a 5/8" NF tap down to the thread and your dies will flop around like the proverbial fish out of water.

Did the green one have the correct tap ?

Wayne Smith
12-17-2014, 03:27 PM
I don't question Charlie when he says he knows something! The green one is way more experienced at this stuff than I am. Actually we are waiting until after the Christmas rush for me to box it up and send it to him if we don't take a road trip.

Reg
12-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Yup, the Frog knows his stuff that's for sure. He will fix you right up.
Think I would take the road trip. Be worth it to just have a good sit down face to face with him.

Char-Gar
12-17-2014, 04:44 PM
That's kind of the point Char-Gar I also kind of remember seeing that some were 5/8 x28 too? I wish that I could find article.

Yes, I believe he does do repair work. I have e-mailed him a couple of times for advice and information on tong-tools!

I have an Ideal No. 3 set of handles for 38 S&W, that won't take 310 dies. I also have Ideal No. 3s for 30 US and 38 Special that will. Go figure!

Green Frog
12-17-2014, 07:50 PM
The threads for both the TruLine Jr and the post-War 310 tools (except the special ones for extra-large cases) all seem to be .609" X 30 tpi. Putting other taps into them will just make matters worse. Also, as far as cleaning up the threads on dies, a lot of lathes lack a setting/gear set up for 30 tpi. :(

Froggie

too many things
12-18-2014, 12:56 AM
you can get a used die that is a mis match on feebay cheap you only need one die so don't need a set to mess up
the die is surface hard . take a welding torch and lay in water to about half way and heat the die it will soften the surface
take file and cut a groove in the thread. it will then act as a chaser I have one I use for the same reason as some one has crossed or it rusted

mdi
12-18-2014, 12:52 PM
My apologies! I have never heard of a 5/8-30 thread. I know there are "proprietary" threads out there, but in 40+ years as a machinist/mechanic, I have never run in to any. I would never think a manufacturer would use such an odd thread on a mass produced, inexpensive tool...

Green Frog
12-18-2014, 01:53 PM
My apologies! I have never heard of a 5/8-30 thread. I know there are "proprietary" threads out there, but in 40+ years as a machinist/mechanic, I have never run in to any. I would never think a manufacturer would use such an odd thread on a mass produced, inexpensive tool...

It all goes back to the post-Civil War days when the whole process of metallic cartridge loading/ reloading was in its infancy. "Proprietary" was pretty much the norm and "industry standard" was several decades in the future. For whatever reason, Old Mr Barlow started using 30 tpi as his standard and as Ideal morphed eventually into Lyman, the established system was retained. It seems like everybody else thought that 30 tpi was weird, and went to more "normal" pitches.

Froggie

bangerjim
12-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Threads like that are why you guys need a thread cutting capable metal lathe!!!!! And MANY other uses as well.

I make "bustard" thread taps all the time. How about 3/4 x 32 or 1/2 x 40? Making taps is no big deal. Oil/water hardening drill rod and have it! A quick change lathe really is nice for this.

banger

bedbugbilly
12-18-2014, 02:15 PM
Dang I love threads like this . . always learn something new about the 310/Tru-Line . . .