PDA

View Full Version : Button Bucks

Silvercreek Farmer
12-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Put two button bucks in the freezer this weekend. The first one was my closest deer ever, probably 20 feet from the stand, nothing but hair in my scope! The second ran off into the woods initially, then circled back around, looking for the first. He was moving through the brush, so I held on an opening in front of him, probably 10-15 yards away and he walked right into the clear spot and stopped. Both made the, almost standard now, 50 yard dash back into pretty thick cover. I followed the path I thought the first buck had made and didn't see anything so I started circling though the woods, found the second and drug it out. Still wasn't having any luck finding the first one so I went back to the site of the shot, found hair, then blood, so I knew I had made a hit despite the awkward shooting position for such a close shot. It was getting dark so I fired up the headlamp and started tracking. I was pleased to find a decent blood trail which led right to the first buck. Hit both of them in the heart with a Lee 170 90/10 AC COWW/SOWW over 21 grains of 2400 in the '06 for an estimated 1800 fps. Meat damage was minimal despite the close shots. My 12 year old son has really gotten into the butchering, he doesn't leave much meat on the bone! I'll have to get him in the stand before too long. Ate some back strap last night, it was much lighter than the older does I shot earlier in the season, almost pork like. Mighty fine eating!

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/mlindsay527/PC120089_zpsb7f845ad.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/mlindsay527/media/PC120089_zpsb7f845ad.jpg.html)
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/mlindsay527/PC130094_zps9fce4d3c.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/user/mlindsay527/media/PC130094_zps9fce4d3c.jpg.html)

Iron Whittler
12-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Way to go pop. It's a lot better to take them youngsters hunting than to have to be hunting for them later on.

smoked turkey
12-14-2014, 09:15 PM
Good Lands! That boy is not leaving enough for the coyotes. Seriously I am impressed with the fine home butchering being done on those button bucks. I have shot a few in my time and I believe button bucks are some of the best eating of all. I try not to shoot button bucks but I honestly cannot tell them from a doe. I don't complain as I am basically a meat hunter. I see your family is too. Good hunting story and thanks for the detailed write up and the pictures do a lot for your story.

TXGunNut
12-14-2014, 09:28 PM
In some areas it takes a lot of studying to tell a button buck from a doe, especially when they're alone or with another small deer. Around here the button bucks will have a shorter face and more rounded, shorter ears. I sure enjoy eating button bucks and they are often part of a good game management plan.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-14-2014, 09:40 PM
I actually shot them and dragged them out of the woods thinking they were yearling does until the fellow that was helped me load them noticed the buttons. They count the same on our tags (antlerless) so there were no legal issues. I hunt over a commercial vegetable grower's fields so everything is pretty much shoot on sight, no matter to me, I have two growing boys to feed!

L Ross
12-14-2014, 09:46 PM
SilverCreekFarmer, I was lucky enough to be raised like your boy and cherish venison to this day. Good job!

leadman
12-14-2014, 11:48 PM
Good job on those little bucks! Your son does certainly get into the butchering. My Dad taught me and it sure has come in handy.

smoked turkey
12-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Button bucks around here are also counted as does. During one muzzleloader season here a button buck came up to my tree stand within 20 yards. I looked him over for about 15 minutes and convinced myself it was a doe and did the deed. I studied the face, looked it over every way I could and was pretty surprised when I walked to it and found it a him and not a her. As has been said, they are very good eating. The friend I was hunting on didn't mind but still gives me a hard time about it.

44man
12-15-2014, 12:37 AM
Yep, good food. But I can't clean a rib cage that good, too much fat.

Thumbcocker
12-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Congratulations. Good job on teaching the boy where meat comes from.

Treetop
12-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the story and pics, Silvercreek! You certainly have a fine looking son. You need to get him in the hunt with you, as soon as you think it's appropriate. I'm sure he will enjoy it as much or more than the butchering! Tt.

tdoyka
12-17-2014, 11:02 PM
i think he shot them button bucks!!![smilie=1::kidding:

way to go!!!

44man
12-24-2014, 04:26 PM
I get flack from the wife when I shoot smaller deer but never at the table. She does not like big buck meat so why does she holler at me about the tenderonies?
Then when I do shoot a big buck, she also complains so I gave my 8 point away. Also the 7 point.
I respect a hunter that shoots better food.
I will never understand a woman.

monge
12-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Great shooting! Looks like you have a hunting buddy for life!