PDA

View Full Version : Win 94 30-30 with a Rough Spot in Stroke

KLR
12-14-2014, 07:38 PM
My wife gave me a Model 94 in 30-30 for Christmas yesterday. It's an angle eject with a rebounding hammer. Used, but looks new. Based on the wear on the hammer, I doubt it's had a box of ammo through it.

So, today I've taken it apart to smooth the action. I polished what I thought I should and it's much improved. However, there is still a "catch" at the transition from full open to where it begins to close. If I work it fast and firm it's not really a problem. It may just be the way the geometry works out, but I think it shouldn't have a spot that sticks like this.

Any ideas?

hpdrifter
12-14-2014, 08:15 PM
sounds like the bolt dragging back over the hammer. normal.

fouronesix
12-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Yes, it could be the bolt riding over the hammer. If that's the case, very easy to lap or polish those surfaces.

Another possibility and maybe more likely is the breech block riding up that back face of the bolt as it comes to full battery. Those surfaces can be polished BUT that needs to be done with caution as that is the contact surface that determines full battery headspace lockup in the action.

KLR
12-14-2014, 09:06 PM
It also does it without the hammer installed. I very lightly polished the breech block. There is no movement when it happens. It's after full open and then it sticks, pull hard, and then it closes. I polished the top of the hammer and the underside of the bolt. Other than this one sticking point it cycles smoothly now.

koger
12-14-2014, 09:26 PM
I had the same thing happen on one I was working on for a customer. Make sure all the pins, screws etc are all the way in in the linkage. I had one or two pins out a just a little bit, tapped them in, lubed everything and after I worked it about 20 times, everything ironed out. It has been my experience, any action with as much slack and slop as post 1964 Winchesters, are gonna have some cycling problems from time to time.

KLR
12-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Thanks. I looked at it some more and it's hanging up in that curved oblong slot in the lever. I can get it to the stuck spot and tap up gently on the floorplate it becomes unstuck and closes smoothly. It's not the bolt because I can hold it in the stuck spot and wiggle the bolt. If I hold the gun sideways or upside down it does not hang up at all.
I worked some graphite and grease into the slot and it works better, but it is still not perfect. I'll drive out that pin tomorrow and polish it and the slot.

fouronesix
12-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Good! That slot would have been the next thing I'd have suggested to polish. On early 94s that was never a problem, but the newer ones are made using different techniques so it's understandable.

That curved rear contact surface of the bolt of many 94s including the older ones sometimes wore unevenly or had machining marks that could cause a little hiccup at the end of the lock-up cycle. Probably a good thing that wasn't the issue.

KLR
12-14-2014, 11:13 PM
So are the later ones larger? Different shape?

fouronesix
12-15-2014, 01:06 AM
They should be about the same dimensions. It could be that they are not as smooth finished because of the way they are cut, drilled, machined or finished. Most of the newer rifles have many components that are either stamped or cast then milled/machined only on the contact surfaces. If some of the contact surfaces are a little rough, they usually smooth out with use. That was even true to some extent with many of the older guns that were hand fit using forged stock that was milled from block pieces.

KLR
12-15-2014, 10:27 PM
I got it. I drove out the pin and separated the lever enough to drop it down and polish it. I polished the forward part of the slot and the hinge pins. Now it's smooooth. [smilie=w: