PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 55

Hooker53
12-14-2014, 06:42 PM
Hello folks. Some advice from a few that's used both. Looking for the Diff between the early Orange #55 powder measure and the Lee auto disk measure. Will the Lyman adjust down to small pistol throws better than the Lee and hold right on? Thanks

44Vaquero
12-14-2014, 07:03 PM
This is really an apples and oranges question. The Lyman is infinite in it's adjustments, if somewhat temperamental to adjust depending upon the model year. Neither handle stick powder very well in my experience.

Unless you use the micro-disk that Titian is now selling again the Auto-disk does not handle small charges of flake powder very well, bridging an issue. I have found that both are equally consistent when used correctly, much the same as my Hornady powder drop.

I do own both and the use of each is dependent on the particular cartridge that I am reloading.

gwpercle
12-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Don't forget about learning a consistent technique. I can now throw consistent charges with a 0range 55, but I had to practice, develop a rhythm and method of using the handle and knocker. Some powders require a different method. It took me a while to do, I'm a slow learner, but sitting down, throwing charges and weighing and adjusting technique until consistent was all it took. This is something that has to be learned, just lowering and raising the handle may not get you the accurate repeat charges you want.
The 55 has three sliding interior components that let you adjust it from the smallest to largest cavity you will usually need, learn a consistent technique and it will serve well.
The reason I like the 55 is I can dial an exact powder charge and not be limited to the size of a fixed cavity that the maker sells.
Gary

Hooker53
12-14-2014, 08:57 PM
Don't forget about learning a consistent technique. I can now throw consistent charges with a 0range 55, but I had to practice, develop a rhythm and method of using the handle and knocker. Some powders require a different method. It took me a while to do, I'm a slow learner, but sitting down, throwing charges and weighing and adjusting technique until consistent was all it took. This is something that has to be learned, just lowering and raising the handle may not get you the accurate repeat charges you want.
The 55 has three sliding interior components that let you adjust it from the smallest to largest cavity you will usually need, learn a consistent technique and it will serve well.
The reason I like the 55 is I can dial an exact powder charge and not be limited to the size of a fixed cavity that the maker sells.
Gary

Gary you are correct on the technique. My Auto Disc likes a little tap from the case just as I sneek up on it. Was just wondering how small of a load the 55 would dial down to and I do use mostly flake powders 75% of the time. The little screw adjustment charge bar from Lee that I have just wont go down below 2.8 very well. Thanks for the replys.

str8wal
12-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Will the Lyman adjust down to small pistol throws better than the Lee and hold right on?

I have one 55 that is dialed in to throw 4.8 grains of TG for my 9's, 45's and 38's and it is dead nuts every time. I have 4 others for H110, Varget, lil gun, and HS-6/True blue and all drop within a half of a tenth when adjusted properly. Use the top slide alone for smaller charges until it runs out of room and then progress to the middle slide. They are a marvelous design.

seagiant
12-14-2014, 11:16 PM
This is really an apples and oranges question. The Lyman is infinite in it's adjustments, if somewhat temperamental to adjust depending upon the model year. Neither handle stick powder very well in my experience.

Unless you use the micro-disk that Titian is now selling again the Auto-disk does not handle small charges of flake powder very well, bridging an issue. I have found that both are equally consistent when used correctly, much the same as my Hornady powder drop.

I do own both and the use of each is dependent on the particular cartridge that I am reloading.

Hi,
What he said!

WALLNUTT
12-15-2014, 12:02 AM
I agree with all of the above having both. I will add that I also have 2 LEE perfects and like them also with certain powders leaving them set for often used charges. After working up loads with the auto disc I record the cavity used making it quick to load next time.

Char-Gar
12-15-2014, 12:25 AM
I have three Lyman 55s that I leave set up for 3.5,4.5 and 6.5 grains of Bulleye. They are very accurate measures. The setting chart is very accurate and with minor adjustments will get you spot on. These measures don't seem to ever wear out and are available used for $20 to $40 with the difference being cosmetic.

I also like the RCBS Little Dandy fixed rotor measures for handgun use.

44Vaquero
12-15-2014, 01:33 AM
The definitive guide to lyman #55's: http://55project.com/ More than you ever needed to know about this great little powder dropper with picture too!

Char-Gar
12-15-2014, 01:47 PM
The definitive guide to lyman #55's: http://55project.com/ More than you ever needed to know about this great little powder dropper with picture too!

Thank you for that link. It was interesting and helpful as well.

Char-Gar
12-15-2014, 01:54 PM
While we are talking about Lyman 55 powder measures, there is a fellow on Ebay that is selling a powder measure weight system that keep consistent pressure on the powder in the measure. This produces very uniform thrown charges. I like this gizmo for my Lyman 55s, so I bought another for my RCBS Little Dandy.

rbertalotto
12-15-2014, 04:52 PM
I've been using a LEE disc powder measure on a LEE 1000 to drop 3.5g of Trail Boss in 45Cowboy Special brass for a few years. I've loaded well over 10,000 rounds and have never had a bridging issue.

Both powder measures you list are accurate if set up properly. The Lyman is a bit of a science project to set up. Too many dials in my estimation. But once set up, it is very accurate. I have three of them, two orange for smokeless and the black one with drop tube and aluminum cylinder for Black Powder. I set them and forget them. If I'm doing load development I use a Redding BR powder measure. I've not found anything with better accuracy for loads under 35g.

gwpercle
12-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Gary you are correct on the technique. My Auto Disc likes a little tap from the case just as I sneek up on it. Was just wondering how small of a load the 55 would dial down to and I do use mostly flake powders 75% of the time. The little screw adjustment charge bar from Lee that I have just wont go down below 2.8 very well. Thanks for the replys.
When shooting in a bullseye target league , my 38 special load was 2.4 grains of Bullseye powder with a Speer HBWC . 2.4 grains was as low as I ever had it set for. I have no doubt it would adjust down to 2.0 grains, just never had the need to go that low .
Gary

trapper9260
12-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Gary

You are right it dose take some time to make it work .What works for me is that I take a short broom handle like of wood and use that to tap the 55 2 X and then when I drop the charge I tap it once with the wood and after that you get your weight you are looking for it will drop it about all the time the charge you want ,but need to keep doing the same thing every time.Hope this helps.I had problems with it in the past and then someone explain to me about to try this way and found it to work great.

too many things
12-18-2014, 01:06 AM
the 55 will do 1gr too I use it for 25acp have 5 and just bought another made an angle iron bracket to bolt to table and have each set up with different powders makes things easy

jetinteriorguy
12-18-2014, 06:27 AM
I don't have the Orange 55 but do have the newer gray one and the Pro Auto Disc. It's hard to beat the 55 once you get it set right, but it is a bit to fiddle around with whereas the Lee is just easy and so simple. So far of the several powders I use the only one I've had issues with in the Lee is 700x, I use it for my 9mm and in the under 4gr range it tends to bridge about 30% of the time. But if I just tap it 3 times when the disc is filling and when dropping the powder it's right on the money all the time. I also have the Lee perfect powder measure and it works a little better and is easy to set up. The only other powder I've had issues with in the Auto Disc is IMR4227 and it just doesn't work well at all, but the 55 is great here. For all stick type rifle powders it's the 55 only for me.

richhodg66
12-18-2014, 07:43 AM
I have an old 55 and found when loading for an old top break .32 that it will throw charges of Bullseye as small as 1.1 grains consistently. Good piece of equipment.

gmsharps
12-18-2014, 08:24 AM
If it did not come with a powder baflle that would be a good accessory. It keeps a consistant powder weight while in the powder tube. Learn how many knocks it needs to throw consistant charges and you will be good to go.

gmsharps

robg
12-19-2014, 10:51 AM
ive been using a 55 since82 but i try to avoid stick powders ,prefer tac blc-2 2400 true blue ball powders dont crunch through meter. the 55 still meters coase & stick powders accuratly but its smother with ball powders

too many things
12-19-2014, 11:59 AM
I don't use the knocker just the handle. it top, 2 to 3 tap tap tap and at bottom a tap tap works for me and you don't need baffle.
with stick powder like 4350 I use the main large and keep other 2 flush. It takes some time to get it right that way but it cuts down on the hard to cut powder deal. the flake I close the large one tight and use the top 2 . That is what I found that works for me