PDA

View Full Version : My lucky buck

**oneshot**
12-14-2014, 04:03 PM
I hunt on my buddy's farm homestead. I normally drive to the top of the upper fields and walk down the other side of the property. I couldn't make the first steep hill along the field with the recent snow on top of the mucky field. It took me some time to get turned/slid/spun around and get off the hill. I changed my plan and parked in his old driveway on the far side of the road. Seeing that daylight was coming soon I walked down the hill into the pines that border the pond.
It's a semi bowl shaped area leading to the pond. I picked a spot on the sidehill that would allow me to shoot most of the way to the pond edge and any deer coming from the overgrown pasture land would have to pass through there to get to the thickets. As daylight crept in I could see movement off in the pasture through the snow covered pine boughs. About 8 deer came out of the pasture and walked right along the edge of the pond. Remember I said I could shoot most of the way, well they stayed more than most as they past by. Just under the sagging snow covered pines I saw legs and the occasional belly as they past. I sat there looking around for another spot lower on the sidehill and second guessing moving to one if I found it when more deer started feeding in from the pasture. They followed the same path along the pond. Decision made, move down. I eyeballed a rock next to a tree and slowly stalked my way over and reset myself. More of an alternate spot for Saturday than expecting to see more deer I started mentally marking shooting lanes, distances, etc. I couldn't see into the pasture as well from my new spot so I needed to have everything right at hand if they followed the same path on Saturday.
I caught movement to my right and spotted a deer. I grabbed my rifle and swung the crosshair into my first shooing lane fast enough to see horns. We have a 3 point on one side rule here. I searched through the scope to find brow tines. He hit my second lane and turned his head enough to see brow tine on one side but too quick through the lane to get a clean shot. He stopped moving behind a group of small trees. As I was holding on his exit from the cluster of trees I could see his head was turned looking back from where he came from. I half glanced to my right and saw another deer coming into the first shooting lane and it was a big bodied deer. I swung the rifle over in time to see 3 tines come into the lane, dropped the crosshair down --- He stopped right in my lane with nothing but shoulder and lungs in the clear---- Boom!!!!!!!!!!!! He hunched up and ran, head down, tail down, get out of dodge run. The other buck was running ahead of him and I could hear crashing through the thicket go on and on. I'm thinking I'm in for a long tracking job. I waited about 10 minutes and packed my stuff up. I took a slow stalk down to where I shot to see what kind of hair was there. I kept looking to where he exited and about 50yds into my stalk I spotted him laying there. He ran just around the corner of a knoll where I couldn't see and piled up, About 30yds from where I shot.
I still went to where I shot to track him. There is a deer highway down there. It is right along the scrubbrush that borders the pond and it is thick with young trees. The deer were skirting the more open pines and using this highway instead.

Attached is the photos of my deer. In one pic you can see both the open pines and the thicker stuff they were using to the left. I used my 308win rifle, NOE 165gr GC FN, over 22.5grs 4759, cast from my do-all alloy(3parts COWW 1part pure) and waterdropped. I hit him a little higher than I wanted, hit a rib going in, plowed through the top of the lungs, and exited the "scalpula" part of the far shoulder. The exit looked better than the entrance when I skinned him except for the massive hole that I can stick my finger through easily. A good example of eating them right up to the hole is in one pic.

I call him my lucky buck, since I would have never been there if I hadn't spun out going up the hill. RIght place right time kinda luck.

I am very pleased that my bullet performed as well as I had seen in testing. :bigsmyl2:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... M_sharshar (http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0Aas2Thw5ZN3Djw&emid=shareprintsharer&linkid=link5&cid=EM_sharshar)

Friends call me Pac
12-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Good looking buck. Way to go.

1Shirt
12-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Nice wide rack, good bodied buck! Congrats!
1Shirt!

TXGunNut
12-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Good job, luck had little to do with it. You put in the effort, made good observations on the conditions, game movement and lay of the land and adapted your strategy to increase your odds of success. Good story well told; nicely done. Congrats on a good buck!

jaysouth
12-14-2014, 06:15 PM
My "lucky" buck is still romping around the woods still sniffing for does.

white eagle
12-14-2014, 06:31 PM
excellent

Wolfer
12-14-2014, 07:24 PM
Good story.

I have a lucky buck here at home. Dang lucky he is. I plan on it running out someday.

CastingFool
12-14-2014, 07:30 PM
Congrats! Very nice buck and great story!

dragonrider
12-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Well done Oneshot,

TCLouis
12-14-2014, 11:52 PM
To quote someone that called me 8:00 one Monday after he had to work opening weekend . . .
First words out of his mouth, " I am going to write a book, the title will be, I Would Rather Be Lucky Than Good."

There is even more to the story, but it only makes a stronger case for the LUCKY angle.

pworley1
12-15-2014, 12:48 AM
Very nice!

**oneshot**
12-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Thank you guys. He is surprisingly tender for his size. Bambi Tacos later in the week.

crappie-hunter
12-15-2014, 08:27 AM
I used that same bullet this year from a Ranch Dog mold, and took two deer using a 30/30, what a killer, both deer were double lung shots,and three big hops,and DRT.

My allow is Lyman#2 water dropped ,and loaded in front of a good healthy charge of win748. Rifle is a Contender carbine 30/30.

Nice buck congrats.

Thumbcocker
12-15-2014, 10:01 AM
congratulatons. Those who put in the time and pay their dues seem to be lucky.

Wolfer
12-15-2014, 06:55 PM
You know the old saying about true luck.
Its when preparation meets opportunity!

Irascible
12-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Good Job Mate! Nice buck. Was that your Silhouette load?

RugerFan
12-18-2014, 03:47 PM
Thats a nice wide rack! Did you measure the width?

**oneshot**
12-18-2014, 04:43 PM
18 1/4 inside

Irascible
12-18-2014, 09:06 PM
Any idea of the muzzle velocity?

**oneshot**
12-19-2014, 07:13 AM
1995fps avg velocity.

badge176
12-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Dang, that's a "W I D E R A C K"!!! could perd-near use those for Bicycle handlebars! Congrats and nice adapting to the conditions...

robg
12-19-2014, 10:02 AM
im very jealous,love that boolet.cracking beast

missionary5155
12-20-2014, 06:18 AM
Good morning and well done !
A very enjoyable read this morning and thanks for the fine photos !
Mike in Peru

monge
12-20-2014, 07:22 AM
Great story nice shooting ,Your hunting woods looks like a paradice!