PDA

View Full Version : Sources for BPCR reloading gear?

dualsport
12-14-2014, 03:31 PM
I'm moving thru the learning curve here. Got my '84 Trapdoor and the SPG and Wolf books. I see I need a few things (as always!). First to come to mind is expander and compression dies for BP. There's more, but I'm looking for sources now. Does Lee make a collet die for 45-70? Seems like that would be handy. I measured the expander plug on my 25 year old Lee die and it's .456. My Lyman 310 tool die measures .457. Getting close but not there, or so I've read. Where to go shopping? I have a feeling I may have lucked out (blind luck) and got me a shooter. With my first efforts and old eyes it is already shooting better than me, although about a foot high!

Nobade
12-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Buffalo Arms should have everything you need. Get yourself a copy of their catalog, it's worth having!

If you have a friend with a lathe things like that can be spun out easily as well. Almost all the die sets I own have custom expander plugs and bullet seating stems in them.

No need for a collet die for 45-70, just turn your full length die in enough so the case holds the bullet. No need to over size it each time. It usually doesn't take much, sometimes none depending on how your chamber is cut.

Build yourself a good drop tube, you'll use that a lot. Hobby store brass tubing or an arrow shaft work very well!

Have fun!

-Nobade

Lead pot
12-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Here you go. http://www.buffaloarms.com/ Not much point looking farther. They are black powder shooters and competitive in prices.
And they can answer your questions.

John Allen
12-14-2014, 05:07 PM
As everyone else has said Buffalo arms is great. If you are in need of a mold check out the lee hollow base mold for the trapdoors. Trapdoors are know to sometime have larger bores.

country gent
12-14-2014, 05:13 PM
Trac of the Wolf also. Dixie gun works may have some odds and ends. Shiloh, C Sharps and CPA all have some things also.