PDA

View Full Version : How to clean corroded jackets?

nicholst55
02-16-2008, 02:26 PM
I was going through a bunch of OLD pistol bullet jackets last night, and discovered that some are fairly well corroded - verdigris, is what they call it. The green crud that grows on old brass. These jackets are probably as old as I am, or nearly so (52).

Can I wash these jackets in a vinegar/water solution and clean this crap out, or will something else work better?

There is enough corrosion inside some of the jackets that I'm afraid it will effect the core retention of the swaged bullets.

JSnover
02-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Depending on how heavy it is the vinegar solution should work. Just make sure to rinse and dry them well afterwards. Maybe you could take the bulk of it off that way and tumble for a while in Tuff Nut.

georgeld
02-18-2008, 04:21 AM
had a fellow send me a box of the finest polished cases I've ever seen the other day.
Said his secret is using: #7, or 9 steel shot tumbled in RCBS wet media til they're nice
and polished. Has a plastic 5 gal bucket on rollers with a belt around it run by a motor.

Bet that would get the crud off. Am thinking about building a set up like that myself.
Believe there's all the parts needed in the shop already. Just need to pick up the wet media and shot.

Pystol
05-22-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm going to try a mild solution of citrus acid and water, and then a good rinse... Found the citrus acid at a super market in baking area in powder form... I was cheap for a couple ounces, so if it don't work I'm not out much