PDA

View Full Version : can duracoat be removed

Lloyd Smale
12-14-2014, 09:59 AM
picking up a rifle that my buddy who passed had. He duracoated the fiberglass stock. Is there something that will remove it?

lefty o
12-14-2014, 02:09 PM
sandpaper.

Boolit_Head
12-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Probably nothing that won't attack the fibreglass. Might be better off getting another stock or respraying the one you have.

John in WYO
12-14-2014, 02:27 PM
http://youtu.be/M23lFOSdqVU

Lloyd,

here is a video I found.
maybe it will help.

John

Lloyd Smale
12-14-2014, 02:40 PM
watched it john but have to wonder how that stuff would react to plastic or fiberglass.

crabo
12-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Lloyd, I wouldn't do it. It will attack the fiberglass. If you are planning on repainting it, I would just sand it with a 320 dry, 400 wet or a red 3M scotchbrite. The sandpaper will take out any dust or imperfections. The scotchbrite will just put good paint adhering scratches in it, that you can paint over.

I know quite a bit about painting. Here's a rifle I built and painted for my BIL.

TXGunNut
12-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Seems to me Duracoat is tougher than the material it's applied to in this case. Better strategy may be addition of material, not removal.

W.R.Buchanan
12-15-2014, 02:09 AM
LLoyd: try spraying some brake cleaner on it. that won't hurt the fiberglass. acetone will etch the fiberglass but also might take the Duracoat off.

I had a Mauser action a guy had painted with Dura coat. it was filthy so silly me, I just picked the first can of Brake Clean I came to in my shop. Luckily I did it over a trash can.

It literally washed the paint off like it was Krylon.

Nothing to loose here even if you have to buy a can of Brake Cleaner as you can use it in the shop a lot.

Randy

waksupi
12-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Sherwin Williams carries a Aircraft and Boat Stripper. Since many boats are fiberglass, I imagine it should be perfectly safe to use.

roysha
12-15-2014, 11:54 AM
W.R.B. I do not doubt what you experienced but I do doubt that the product on your receiver was DuraCoat. An acquaintance of mine has DuraCoated 6 of his AKs and we have cleaned them with all kinds of solvents including brake parts cleaner and spray on carb cleaner and the DuraCoat was not affected in the least.

I have not yet found a "paint remover" that will touch DuraCoat, not to say it doesn't exist, just that I haven't found it. The only way I have found to remove DuraCoat reliably and efficiently is to blast it off with, ideally, aluminum oxide abrasive. Obviously, that won't work for the OP's situation, so since it is a synthetic stock and probably needs "painted" regardless, the suggestion to rough up the surface and then recoat with whatever product you care to use, has a great deal of merit.

W.R.Buchanan
12-15-2014, 05:59 PM
The guy told me it was Duracoat, but if it was it came off easier that spray can enamel. I figured he didn't mix it right or something.

Randy

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2014, 09:56 AM
my newest thought is just to rough it up and have it camo dipped.

W.R.Buchanan
12-16-2014, 05:56 PM
LLoyd: that is a way to go. probably solve all the problem at once.

Randy

FLHTC
12-16-2014, 10:41 PM
If you have a sand blaster, try granulated sugar. I bought a 10/22 that had homemade cammo job on it and the sugar took it right off . I had to repaint the receiver and trigger guard but all else was fine.

John in WYO
12-17-2014, 12:09 AM
http://duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/duracoat_faq.htm

Lloyd,
Looks like it's gonna be tough to get off.

John