PDA

View Full Version : cva kodiak in 45 cal

Blammer
12-14-2014, 12:08 AM
I was thinking about getting one.
stainless in 45 cal with camo stock for about $200

I can't find out if the 209 primer needs a special "holder" to be able to use it or if it just slips in a spot in the rifle.

Any pros and cons on this one would be helpful.

I am basically looking for a primer fired scope mounted rifle to complement my flintlock open sighted one. :) (hahaha)

koehlerrk
12-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Blammer, you seem to be real good at finding things that aren't on the internet!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/676770/cva-kodiak-209-magnum-black-powder-rifle-50-caliber-209-primer-black-synthetic-stock-1-in-28-twist-28-barrel-blue

Looks like Midway used to sell them, and from the writeup, no, they don't have any kind of primer carrier.

Also found this article.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/node/1005005081

All told, it seems like a decent rifle, if you want an in-line.

koger
12-16-2014, 10:50 AM
My wife hunts with a .50 Kodiak. It has a Nikon 3x9, and shoots cloverleafs at 100yds, with 295 gr. Powerbelts, which is what the gun was designed to shoot! I would pass on the .45, hard to get slugs if you don't make your own, Wal mart and K mart don't keep them anymore. I have seen 2, new ones go for $200 and under, on Greybeard.com, in the last month.

smokeater
12-17-2014, 11:37 PM
Blammer,
I had the same rifle in 50cal and it was a shooter. The 209 primer doesn't need a special holder like the Knight and New England firearms. Just put the primer in the breech plug, close action and you're on your way to having some fun. I sold mine in a weak moment, but I have just got thru looking on gunbroker and there were several 45 cal Kodiaks. Like koger said, it really is up to you which cal you get. Both have their good points as well as bad. 45 is a little faster and flatter with modest recoil, 50cal is a mite slower but keeps a full head of steam for quite a ways and recoil is more pronounced. Get a LEE REAL bullet mold for either cal and you won't be sorry. Mine loved them and my CVA Wolf in 50 is strarting to develop a fondness for them as well. Hope this helps.

Blammer
12-18-2014, 11:36 PM
thanks guys, after second thoughts I'll have to pass on the 45 cal.