PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 38AP vs. 38P Expander for 9mm

flyingbrass
12-13-2014, 11:00 PM
I'm new to reloading 9mm. I had no idea lead bullets can be such a headache for that cartridge. There is good info here about the issues involved and how to approach the situation.

What I didn't find here or elsewhere was whether a stock Lyman 38P expanding plug will work for 9mm. Their 38AP is .353" first step, .357" second step. 38P plug (meant for revolvers) is .356" first step, and .360" second.

I'm using .358" bullets for 9mm. A stock 9mm Lyman die set comes with the 38AP expander, which is too small. I ordered a 38P, which is about the right size, or at least a better size. The problem is it is too long. Actually the problem is it is full diameter for too much of its length. Stock, the 38P plug puts big bulges in the case sidewalls, bad enough to prevent chambering, plus there is no need to abuse brass this much even if it would chamber.

Not having a lathe, I bought a 10x32 hexagonal threaded rod connector and some washers because the expander is not threaded up to the very end. I chucked the connector in my hand drill and fiddled with washer orientation to get the plug to run true while spinning in the drill. I held the spinning expander plug against a belt sander to shape to roughly the contour of the 38AP plug, running through various grits, eventually to a fine polish. I left the working expanding area slightly longer than the stock 38AP plug.

After seating a bullet and comparing to a similar loaded round that had its case expanded using a Lee .38 S&W expander, I can't tell any difference. Measuring case OD at the bullet base is iffy at best. The mic pad is wide, and case walls, even though of the same make may not be the same, plus whatever other variables. I got .0005" to .001" larger OD near the base of the bullet than the round loaded with the Lee expander.

My test round passes the plunk test even without crimping.

So, yes, a Lyman 38P expander plug will work for cast bullets in 9mm, but you will need to modify it.

Pics show 9mm cases expanded using different plugs (all cases sized first using Lyman resizer). L-R: Stock Lyman 38P, 38P I modified today, stock Lyman 38AP, Lee .38 S&W.

Next, 38AP Lyman plug on the left vs. Lyman 38P.

Last, my altered 38P at left vs. stock 38AP.

I hope this helps clarify for the next guy wondering about this stuff.