PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Short Seating

Matt Muir
02-16-2008, 11:43 AM
I use an RCBS Rock Chucker with their dies. I measured my chamber,with the technique mentioned here) and came out with a distance of 3.026, Shiloh Gun 45-70. I use their case bell to make starting the bullets easier and as a result have to put a slight crimp on the case so the rounds will chamber. When the crimp is set, the seater will only back out to an OAL of 2.65 with some slight nose damage. Does any one know of a seater that is a bit longer? Or is the fast fix just to have a custom one made.

pjh421
02-17-2008, 11:45 PM
I would run a fat drill bit into the end of the bullet seater stem (removed from the die body) before I bought a custom one.

Paul

Matt Muir
02-18-2008, 01:24 AM
Thanks, I was going to try and buy a longer bolt with threads all the way down and just use a jam nut to lock. The only custom part was gonna be to have it machined on the end if I did not have a drill that was close. I keep forgetting to check their web site to see if they offer one. The RCBS seater will have a looong way to go to seat any different than factory spec with a 500+gr bullet.

I need to get a new collar for the trimmer any way. I hope they have one.

Thanks for the response.

Matt