PDA

View Full Version : NOE 311-247 mold question (300 Blackout)

AJ Peacock
12-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Hi all, long time no see!

I'm building up a 300 Blackout in an AR and want to shoot cast from it. I have a few questions.

NOE only has GC version of the mould available, are there any downsides to using that without GC for subsonic loads? Any pro's?
Nearly all barrels for the 300blk are polygonal/button rifled, I always thought that cut rifling is better. Pro's / cons for this round?
Drilled for probe? Pro's con's for this? I use a PID on the pot, but have never really measured my mould temperature.

Thanks all,
AJ

minmax
12-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Let the fun begin. I wanted to get this same mold, but he was out of stock for the end of year clearance. I bought a 16" Saturn button rifled barrel. Right before the whole 300 blk out craze stared a few years ago. I HAVE NOT shot this yet. I have had other projects going on. Things I have learned along the way. I should have gone with a pistol length gas port instead of the carbine to shoot sub loads. I was wanting to shoot w/o gas checks. I also got a different buffer spring for when I do make this build.
I hope to see a lot of members chiming in. As far as probe goes that's a little more complicated than I want to get. I like the PID just fine.

minmax
12-16-2014, 01:06 AM
Anybody out there?

sfcairborne
12-16-2014, 10:01 AM
NOE does offer that mold in a PB/GC mold, wait and get that mold, I have it and its great , a 1x7 barrel and you will have a great time with eaither bullet. I have both an AR SBR and my Rem 700 and I seem to shoot the REM more than the AR. pistol powders will become your friend with that bullet, best of luck and have fun.

Smoke4320
12-16-2014, 10:05 AM
NOE only has GC version of the mould available, are there any downsides to using that without GC for subsonic loads? Any pro's?
1. If you powdercoat the Bullets/bases you will see No issues at all shooting the GC Bullet and No GC

2. Nearly all barrels for the 300blk are polygonal/button rifled, I always thought that cut rifling is better. Pro's / cons for this round?

My gun is a 10.2" Noveski using a YHM 308 suppressor . It is extremely accurate with this rd out to 200 yds .. I would limit deer to 100-125 yds ..

3 I do not use a mold Tmeter but do have a PID .. Find it quite easy to find mold temp for pouring and keeping it in the good range

Moonie
12-19-2014, 01:49 PM
I have the Accurate Molds version of this mold, with GC, it works very well in the BO without gas check, I put checks on them for my 30-06 but I shoot them at almost 2,000fps in there. Around 12gr of RL-7 works well for a subsonic load, I use a bit more as I do not have a can and don't need subsonic.