PDA

View Full Version : I need some help from those who have swiched Savage barrels

kbstenberg
12-13-2014, 09:19 AM
Where I am at now. I have taken the barrel off of my new Axis. And I cant find a barrel nut for my new barrel. What direction do I unscrew the barrel nut off of the factory barrel? The Barrel and nut came loose as 1 unit.:veryconfu
I would rather buy a new not so I can switch barrels easier.
Side note: I was surprised how easy the nut/barrel released from the action. 2 firm taps and it was loose.
I am going from a 223 to a 7TCU and eventchually add a 300 BO barrel. for a 3 some

tomme boy
12-13-2014, 06:55 PM
The nut unscrews like any other type of nut. Spray some oil on it and let it sit for an hour or two and see if it will come off. You need the wrench for the barrel nut. Do you have that? You are going to need that to get the headspace set with the new barrel.

Go to Northlanders Supply for a new nut. Jim should have one.

koehlerrk
12-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Savage barrel nuts work like any other common nut, righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.

Yours may be at the end of it's threads, a little oil is a good idea, then clamp the barrel in blocks in a vise and unscrew it.

Three44s
12-14-2014, 02:35 AM
You want to increase the chances of oil getting under that nut. That's going to save you from either galling or further galling the threads on the barrel or nut.

With your receiver back in the action wrench but relatively lose for the moment, screw your barrel back into the receiver. Leave enough thread between the barrel nut shoulder and receiver so as to allow you to back the nut towards the chamber end of the barrel. Tighten the action wrench down on the action. This causes the action wrench to grip the barrel's threads and hold it fast. Then back the nut off till it runs out of travel by contacting the action/recoil lug.

Loosen the action wrench and then back the barrel with the nut off some. Re-clamp the barrel with the action wrench squeezing the action onto the barrel again.

I had stainless barrel and nut come to me in a purchase recently on another forum and the SS nut was "hooking up" to the barrel ........ raising chips in fact. I found I had to run the nut down some ..... oil both ends of the threads in front of and behind the barrel nut. Then run the nut back on the barrel.

Washing the chips out with starting fluid, break cleaner or gun scrubber ....... and oil again ....... WD40 I believe.

This is something you don't want to rush.

"You can take metal off pretty easy ........ I have never seen a very good way to put it back on"

Good luck and best regards

Three 44s