PDA

View Full Version : the skinny on reciever sights ?? please

kens
12-12-2014, 11:22 AM
What are the pro & con of the various peep sights out there. I want reciever sights for Mauser, and P14.
I seen Lyman 57sme, Williams, Mojo, and some others.
Which one is the best?

gnoahhh
12-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Lyman 48 is the Cadillac of receiver sights, as well as the high end Redfield target sights. Worth every nickel of extra cost, IMO. Next tier down is the Lyman 57, Redfield, etc.- and they're just fine for general work. Least favorite of mine- strictly my own opinion, which is worth a bucket of warm spit- is the aluminum Williams. Can't speak to the Mojo, never having messed with one.

fast ronnie
12-12-2014, 11:41 AM
The only aftermarket one I have used is the Williams and used on a custom competition xp100. It is very repeatable, reasonably priced. I made a new sight blade for it from tool steel then hardened it to give me a different width and inside angle. The biggest factor was the corners inside were not sharp so didn't give as good a sight picture. I drilled two small holes through the sides of the blade, then screwed the new blade to the back of it. Now it has a sharp clear picture. If you want, I can give you more on the internal shape as I didn't use a straight notch, but tapered it in four directions.

Muskrat Mike
12-12-2014, 12:21 PM
I have close to 30 rifles with receiver sights on with most of them being Williams. The Lyman 48 just looks better on the old Levers but the Williams are great sights in my opinion. The 5D is very reasonably priced and on a hunting gun that you aren't interested in changing the settings a lot they are great. The FP model is a little easier to change the settings and you can get target knobs also. I keep hearing people complain about the aluminum alloy in the Williams but I've had them on some guns since 1964 and some have had hard use and i never had a problem with them. The Aluminum alloy is lighter than the steel and so far for 50 years mine have held up on 30-06's, 444Marlin and multiple old lever action calibers.
Just my 2 cents.

fecmech
12-12-2014, 04:13 PM
I keep hearing people complain about the aluminum alloy in the Williams but I've had them on some guns since 1964 and some have had hard use and i never had a problem with them.

I have 2 Willams FP's with target knobs on 2 .357 rifles. I have multiple zero's depending on whether I'm shooting .38's or mags and depending on the range out to 200 yds. These sights get run up and down a lot and I have no problems with repeatability. I am well satisfied with them.

W.R.Buchanan
12-12-2014, 04:34 PM
There is nothing wrong with Williams Receiver sights, the Steel Lyman's are just better. I use the Williams usually until I can find a Steel Lyman to replace it.

If you are going to move the elevation around a lot then the Lyman is a more repeatable and accurate sight.

There is a significant difference in the cost, and a good used Lyman with be in the $100-150 range. A NIB Lyman might go as high as $400 depending on the model.

The biggest problem with these sights is actually winning one off Ebay or finding one at a gun shop. Competition is fierce.

Certain Redfield Receiver sights are as desirable as the Lymans,,, Series 70 sights are the basic ones, Series 80 sights are equivalent to Lyman 57 and 66 series sights with the quick detachable elevation slide.

The Redfield Target Sights,,, Olympic, International, or Palma, are far superior to the Lyman sights other than the 48 Series Lyman which the Gold Standard for Bolt Action Rifles. However the Redfield Target Sights require specialized mountings for any gun.

Here's a Redfield Olympic mounted on my Enfield,,, I made the mounting. I don't believe anyone else has done this.

The Redfield target style knobs are arguably the coolest knurled knobs anyone has ever produced.

Randy

pietro
12-12-2014, 05:53 PM

The Williams receiver peep sights have always been made of a high-quality aircraft-grade aluminum.

While older Lyman receiver peep sights were made of steel, Lyman has been making them from aluminum for the past several years.

The Skinner receiver peep sights are variously made of brass, and either blued/carbon or stainless steel.

The XS ghost ring peep sights are made of blued carbon steel (a stem threaded for an aprture is optional)

NECG (New England Custom Gun) receiver peep sights are made of blued carbon steel.

Redfield blued carbon steel receiver peep sights have been discontinued for a few decades now, and must be sought on the used market.

IDK anything about the Mojo sights.

There's generally two different types of receiver peep sights available:

* Micrometer-adjustable sights

* "Set-'n-forget" sights, with sliding adjustments secured via grub screws.