PDA

View Full Version : RCBS A4 Big Max Universal Shell Holder woes

Anonym
12-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Guys, I scored an RCBS Big Max (A4) to mount on my bench. It's an oldie, but seems to be nice and tight without much wear at all. Anyway, it only came with the "Universal Shell Holder" for the ram (no shell holder adapter). It works dandy for pistol/straight wall cases, but was extremely disappointed when trying to size bottleneck rifle cartridges. The jaws slip off the case rim and leave the shell stuck in the die!

Luckily I had a stuck case remover that I used about 6 times trying to correct the problem, until finally the decapper assembly on my RCBS 308 FL Sizing Die broke the head off in the case neck on extraction (must have been one too many times). I managed to get the case out and cut the head out of the case, and shouldn't have any problems with RCBS Customer Service to get this replaced, but the shell holder is a whole other story!

RCBS does not have either of these parts in stock anymore. I have sent them an inquiry as to if this shell holder can be "refurbished" (clean up the edges, maybe replace the springs with stiffer springs), but if they can't do anything about it, I'm afraid I've invested a lot of cash into a very heavy paperweight!

Any of you guys have one of these that has had this issue and corrected it? Don't supposed there are any spare Shell Holder Adapters floating around out there somewhere?

Justin

Stonecrusher
12-12-2014, 11:30 AM
When I had mine I noticed that the universal shell holder seemed to leave unsatisfactory marks on the case rims. I fixed it by unscrewing it and screwing in the shell holder adapter. I've since sold mine, but it was a stout and strong, accurate press. Perhaps Buckshot, the Perfessor or some of the other gents would be willing to make you a shell holder adapter. Quite a few of the members here have a Big Max and I am sure would be willing to write down dimensions for you.

Good luck!

Anonym
12-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Thanks Stonecrusher. I may send some of our local fabricators a message and see what they think about making an adapter. That was my preference anyway, but you take what you can get, right?

Anonym
12-12-2014, 03:44 PM
Called RCBS today and have some replacement springs to try to install on the universal shell holder, as well as a replacement decapping rod that broke last night getting a stuck case out. LOVE their customer service. Even when they don't have EXACTLY what you want, they manage to come up with something that might work.

Still going to see if someone can fabricate a shell holder adapter for a reasonable cost...

Justin

EDG
12-14-2014, 01:49 AM
Those shell holder adapters show up on eBay from time to time.
Most people want the universal so you might be able to trade.
I have a Big Max that only has the shell holder adapter. I never even wanted the universal so it was no sweat off of my nose. I figured the universal was just another gadget that was going to cause problems.

Anonym
12-16-2014, 04:35 PM
As an update to this thread, and for all those who want to know, the ram on the Big Max is internally (female) threaded 7/8-14, which is standard threading for reloading dies. I've had suggested about the time I was putting 2 and 2 together, that the die body of a "Ram Prime" unit would work as an excellent adapter to use standard shell holders. I'm on the hunt for a cheap one as I don't have much money to invest.

The biggest hurdle to using the Ram Prime die is that the lock ring is too large to fit into the 1.25" hole of the press casting when at the bottom of the stroke. These could either be turned down, or I was considering seeing of someone could fabricate a 1.25" collar, about 1.25" in length, and internally threaded 7/8-14 to serve as a new "lock ring" that would but against the top of the ram and support the die up through and beyond (about 1/4") the press casting in the down stroke.

Either way, it's much cheaper than trying to fabricate a full adapter for this unit...

Justin

Alvarez Kelly
12-16-2014, 07:06 PM
As an update to this thread, and for all those who want to know, the ram on the Big Max is internally (female) threaded 7/8-14, which is standard threading for reloading dies. I've had suggested about the time I was putting 2 and 2 together, that the die body of a "Ram Prime" unit would work as an excellent adapter to use standard shell holders. I'm on the hunt for a cheap one as I don't have much money to invest.

The biggest hurdle to using the Ram Prime die is that the lock ring is too large to fit into the 1.25" hole of the press casting when at the bottom of the stroke. These could either be turned down, or I was considering seeing of someone could fabricate a 1.25" collar, about 1.25" in length, and internally threaded 7/8-14 to serve as a new "lock ring" that would but against the top of the ram and support the die up through and beyond (about 1/4") the press casting in the down stroke.

Either way, it's much cheaper than trying to fabricate a full adapter for this unit...

Justin

How about a Dillon 1 inch die lock ring?

John J
12-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Yes the Dillon 1 inch die lock ring will work.

John J

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-16-2014, 07:30 PM
I may have some spare big max parts floating around. Let me go check.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-16-2014, 07:54 PM
I have an extra shell holder adapter. If you want it, it's yours for free. I will even ship it. You need to have the right part for such a beautiful press. Shoot me a PM if you want it.

Stonecrusher
12-16-2014, 08:48 PM
I have an extra shell holder adapter. If you want it, it's yours for free. I will even ship it. You need to have the right part for such a beautiful press. Shoot me a PM if you want it.

That's a generous offer right there! Part of what makes this place great.

John J
12-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Im sure you just made his Christmas

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-16-2014, 09:40 PM
I have an extra ram prime body for you too. I will throw that in.

Anonym
12-16-2014, 10:37 PM
Wow, yes! That is a VERY generous offer. Sending you a PM!

triggerhappy243
12-16-2014, 11:59 PM
glad to hear someone had the parts to fix you up.

AZ Pete
12-22-2014, 10:17 PM
That is just too cool, IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Anonym
12-23-2014, 09:27 AM
My Christmas present arrived a few days ago, and I've been putting it to very good use! The adapters are definitely the way to go with these presses as far as I'm concerned. They are excellent machines! Thanks again ICH. If I can ever return the favor, please let me know!

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-23-2014, 09:32 AM
You are welcome. Enjoy that press! Have a Merry Christmas!

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-14-2016, 05:27 PM
By the way, I am currently making these for anyone who may need one. Here is a link to the thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?294924-RCBS-A4-Big-Max-Standard-Shell-Holder-Adapter-Drawings

Thanks!

1BigassTxn
11-11-2016, 04:29 PM
Does anyone have a design for differnt handle?

EDG
11-13-2016, 01:32 PM
Scroll down to page 5 of the PDF for a photo of the Special Duty Kit. I thought it might be good to copy this but bend the top of the handle back behind the press about 4 to 6 inches. When pushing the handle down to full stroke the bend would not require you to lean down as far.
Such a bent back handle would have to be long enough to clear the longest dies installed in the press.

http://www.rcbs.com/RCBS/media/RCBSMedia/PDFs/Instructions/English%20(EN)/BigMax_Instructions.pdf

Does anyone have a design for differnt handle?

renegade99
11-15-2016, 05:47 PM
I have 4 different handles for mine. I have 1 stock, 1 stock with a Dillon roller in it, 1 longer handle with a 90 degree bend and a shorter handle, about 12 in. long or so for pistol stuff. I never use the L shaped handle as I have found no advantage to it. My normal handle is the stock one that has a Dillon roller fit to it, very smooth and easy on the hands. The shorter handle I made out of a complete Dillon roller handle that I re bent and shortened.

1BigassTxn
11-20-2016, 03:25 PM
Has anyone tried to make an after market spent primer catch, I've never seen the original primer catch bottle and wouldn't mind having something other then a plug or trash can underneath

Also if anyone has a universal automatic she'll holder they wouldn't mind selling I'd be intrested

franco31
09-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Hello there Mr. Illinois coyote hunter ! rcbs mentioned to me that you may now be making the A4 shell holder.
If this happens to be true ? I would certainly like to purchase one. The A4 is awesome, I have 4 of them, 2 which only have the universal holder, hence no good for re sizing the 6 dasher brass. freshwoods7@yahoo.com Thank You Sir, frank

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
09-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Hi Frank,

Yes I am! I am in the middle of a batch right now...among other things like work and life LOL! I am making a larger batch so I will "put you on the list". There will be plenty to go around. I will let you know when they are finished. Thanks!

BTW, no payment needed. Do me a favor nd go on my vendor sponsor page and post you want one. That helps me keep track. Here is a link : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?294924-RCBS-A4-Big-Max-Standard-Shell-Holder-Adapter-Drawings

Thanks!

renegade99
12-13-2017, 11:46 PM
I threaded the bottom of the ram on my Big Max and screwed a 45 degree elbow with a hose barb on it, put on a 2-3ft long pc of hose and put the end in a 5 gal bucket, takes forever to fill that. If memory serves I believe I threaded the ram 3/8 NPT, but it could have been 1/2.

Bnelson
12-01-2018, 09:53 AM
I know this is an old post, but I am in need of an shell holder adapter for a Big Max press also. Any idea of where to get one? IllinoisCoyoteHunter has a full message box so I am assuming he is not available. I also can't get the link to the drawings that he mentions to work.

Thanks,
Bruce

jmort
12-01-2018, 10:18 AM
He has a lot on his plate. He helped me out when I asked him for an A2 adaptor. He made a few and sold them to other members who had A2s. I have a Big Max and was just waiting on this. All of this requires patience. Hopefully he will be back soon. You juxt need to do a search as the information in the link is still here.

Bnelson
12-01-2018, 03:54 PM
I keep trying to click on the link and get a page that says "vs are restricted to where they can post..." Can't seem to get around that.

EDG
12-02-2018, 04:07 AM
I think I read the ram thread is 7/8-14.
One guy solved this by installing a RCBS ram prime shell holder adapter in the to of his ram and locked it inplace with a die lock ring.

Bnelson
12-03-2018, 10:58 AM
That makes sense. Thanks,
Bruce