PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Point JHP 45acp anyone shooting one?

Baryngyl
12-12-2014, 01:35 AM
I picked up a Hi-Point in 45acp, just got around to loading up some test rounds for it and tried them out on 12/10/2014.

Having never before fired a Hi-Point or any 45acp at all I have nothing to compare this to, to determine if it is behaving as it should.
It fed and fired all 28 rounds fine, ejecting them about 5 feet to the right and 3 - 4 feet behind, but every single piece of brass has a lot of of soot inside (compared to when I use Unique in my 44 mag) and some on the outside, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way around and 1/2 way down the case, like it is leaking around the brass a bit.

The gun is rated for +P ammo, I am trying to make a load for practice that will fall somewhere around the very top pressure/speed of normal ammo to about the middle range of +P.
It has been hard to find much info on +P 45acp ammo, the load I tried is listed below.

Mixed HS range pickup brass.
230 grain LEE 90286 TL452-230TC seated to an OAL of 1.226 - 1.228 lightly lubed with LLA
5.7 - 5.8 grains of Unique powder, MAX load was listed at 6.0, which the LEE chart said takes the 0.66cc cavity in the Pro Auto-Disk powder measure, my 0.66 cavity with my can of unique threw the 5.7 to 5.8 grain charge so I decided to try that to start with. I will try the next size 0.71 next and see what charge it throws, maybe have to break out my double disk kit for it so I can get 1/2 way in between if need be or the adjustable thing for it.
F150 Federal Large Pistol Primers

I don't think I missed anything, just ask if you want to know anything else.

Michael Grace

Bzcraig
12-12-2014, 01:42 AM
Soot/carbon on the outside of the case usually means the brass didn't seal in the chamber.

Baryngyl
12-12-2014, 03:19 AM
Soot/carbon on the outside of the case usually means the brass didn't seal in the chamber.

And doesn't that usually mean a bit low on powder charge, even if I am using in the mid-range of what is shown for the charge?

Michael Grace

Tackleberry41
12-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Not always, going to depend on the pressure.

It is a high point so could be the chamber was cut wrong, oversized so doesnt seal properly. Not to say I am in the dislike crowd when it comes to hi point, had a 4595 for a time, now have a 9mm one.

CastingFool
12-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Mine does that, with factory ammo. Also, the firing pin indent is always off center. It's my understanding the manufacturer has an excellent customer service program. Contact MKS Supply. they'll direct you.

jonp
12-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Hi Point has a fantastic customer service. I'd just call them if I were you. My firing pin on one of mine hits off center a little. Gun still goes bang everytime so I just ignore it.

Baryngyl
12-12-2014, 07:13 PM
I will try increasing the charge up to the MAX and test it again before I go calling them, the primer indent is pretty well centered.
Maybe I should buy a box of factory loads just to try out and then that will also let me see/feel how full power loads should be like in this gun.

Michael Grace

Baryngyl
12-17-2014, 07:41 AM
I looked up data in a few more places and find Unique listed up to 6.5-6.7 MAX in other places instead of the LEE data sheet.

I tried 5 loaded with the 0.73cc combo of disks and 5 at the 0.75cc combo.
The .73cc averages 6.0-6.1 grains, 2 of the 5 I shot still had a bit of soot on the outside and were a bit cleaner inside.

The .75cc averaged 6.3-6.4 grains, none of them had soot on the outside and the inside was even a bit more clean. Surprisingly these did not get thrown as far to rear/right as the first ones in the top post did, I think it was way to low no matter what the LEE data called for and was not expanding to grip the chamber walls much at all so was sliding the slide back much sooner and faster than these that are sealing to the chamber much better, probably not starting the slide back until the bullets has left the barrel and the pressure drops enough to let the brass spring back.

My plan for the next outing is to load up 10 more with the .75cc and 10 with either a .76cc or .77cc and get out early enough to run them over the chrono and see what the speeds are, I planned on doing that with these last 5 of each but by the time I got to the range and got the chrono setup the sun had set and not a single one of the 10 registered when fired over the chrono, and it was freezing with the wind blowing pretty good.

Michael Grace