View Full Version : New Winchester 94 in 30-30

snowwolfe
12-12-2014, 12:31 AM
I been kicking around the idea of buying a Winchester 94 short rifle in 30-30 for hunting whitetails on our property which is all heavily timbered. Never had the opportunity to shoot one of these rifle but wondering if the angle eject presents any problems for a left handed shooter?

Also, how is the quality of these rifles? I do realize they are made in Japan

Hickok
12-12-2014, 10:25 AM
You could try looking around at pawn shops and gun shows for a good used 30/30 in Winchester or Marlin. Also Gunbroker.com.

I have an Angle Eject in .44 mag, and I don't think it would pose any problems for a lefty.

From what I have read, Marlin was putting out some crappy lever guns after their recent buyout by Remington, but they now are reported to have gotten their act together and are making nice rifles again. I did look at a new Marlin 336 recently, and it looked real nice, very good wood to metal fit, nice bluing etc.

Some of the "brand new" Winchester Model 94's are extremely expensive in my opinion.

NoAngel
12-12-2014, 10:55 AM
The quality is excellent like anything else the Japanese make.
American manufacturers could certainly stand to take a few notes.
I hands down rather have a new Miroku (Winchester & Browning) or Howa (Weatherby Vangaurd) than ANY of the sloppy slovenly made rubbish from Remlin and even some of the recent Ruger offerings.

snowwolfe
12-12-2014, 11:12 AM
I agree about Miroku's quality. You can buy once and cry once IMO. I am not much in tradition, just looking for the best rifle for the job (whitetail hunting in the timber with shots under 50 yards).

FergusonTO35
12-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Miroku is top notch and I would have no qualms about any of their guns. Still, for your purpose it may not be the most cost effective. You can get a new Henry .30-30 with receiver sight ready to go for about half what the 94 costs nowadays, that's the way I would go.

robertbank
12-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Buy the Japanese version of the Winchester. It will be better made then anything that was made in the States in the last 75 years or so. Quality costs. I have a Marlin 336 in 30-30 made I suspect by Remington and it is a great shooter...maybe I got lucky. The Marlins are easier to scope. I would also look into the used gun market. If they are maintained guns will last a very long time. Just another option but if yo have the funds get the Japanese Winchester. I have a double and a pump shotgun made by Miroku and they are very nice guns.

Take Care

Bob

snowwolfe
12-12-2014, 04:02 PM
I am fortunate the "gun fund" is in good shape but still, no one wants to spend more than they have to. My three previous Marlins all had issues but still would give them another chance. Going shopping today and tomorrow to see what is around that I can handle and look at.

GabbyM
12-12-2014, 06:08 PM
I bought a like new Win 94 AE a couple years ago. Not pretty wood like a Miroku but it hadn't had but a couple shots fired from it and looked new in box after maybe 20 years. I paid over $550 for it. Got lucky as it shoots great. I keep it iron sighted as I've plenty of more cumbersome bolt guns with various size scopes. I'm far more fond of this Win 94 than my daughters Marlin 336.
thing is we all know it a **** shoot as to whether you get an old used 94 that's any good to shoot. If you're not just fond of John Wayne guns. The new FN-M70 Win Featherweight in 308 with a 1:12 twist barrel and around $800 out the door. Is a better buy. I have the heavier M70 Sporter in 30-06 and even with a 10 twist barrel it shoots cast so well I could get called a liar. But the 30-30's are also great cast boolit shooters and just plain sweet. So it comes down to what you want and what you can find. I don't think my 94 AE would hit a lefty in the head with ejected rounds. More to the side eject than back like an M-16. But never tried it. Wait a minute, Yes it works. Just went in the bedroom and ejected out three empty cases holding up to my left shoulder. cases don't come close to face and barely to the rear. So I'd say at least the way mine ejects a lefty would be fine. I'm actually a little tingly from handling the 94. I really like those things. Plenty of rifle for white tail. They wont even let us use such awesome equipment for deer hunting here in Illinois.

birch
12-12-2014, 06:19 PM
I can't say enough good bout the Henry H009. Low cost and very high quality-American made--HEAVY!!!! It might not be a good walk around the woods and swamps for 4 hours gun.

NoAngel
12-12-2014, 06:30 PM
I will second the Henry in as much as its a dam fine rifle, BUT, I would not take it over the Winchester. I'd much rather have the side loading gate as opposed to a tube that can get lost or bent and has been known to launch through cold stiff fingers and out into god knows where. I lost a Marlin tube (22) years ago like that. Shot out of my fingers when I was closing it and into a honey suckle thicket.

snowwolfe
12-12-2014, 07:47 PM
I own three Henrys, two rimfires and one 45-70. Pretty happy with all of them but the 30-30 is heavy and lots of complaints about the lever popping open. Besides this is an opportunity to try something different.
LGS had a new Marlin with 18 inch barrel and the big loop. Examined it pretty close and fit and finish was pretty good. Definitely a step up from the ones I looked at in April. Wood to metal fit was excellent.
But, the action was pretty rough and the rifle felt like a club. Seemed way to heavy for how short it was. The search continues.

jmort
12-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Mossberg 464

GabbyM
12-12-2014, 10:04 PM
Mossberg 464

never read any write-ups on the Mossberg 464. Perhaps you could enlighten us. I could use a "truck gun". Even though my main MOT is a VW Jetta. We have three E-250's and an F-150 in the company fleet.

jmort
12-12-2014, 10:09 PM
I only trust owner reviews. There have been a few posted here. Mossberg got the bugs out long ago. Actual owners who spent $$$ like them. I like the straight stock model. On my short list.

TXGunNut
12-14-2014, 12:29 PM
I respect and admire the quality, fit and finish of the Miroku leverguns (just bought a new Citori) but....all my Winchesters are made in the USA and only one is an AE. Sometimes I feel it's because I think leverguns need to be able to go places a pretty gun shouldn't go but a few of my leverguns have spent time in those places and seem little the worse for wear. The tang safety and rebounding hammer issues are hurdles for me as well but quite honestly I haven't tried them so can't comment in a helpful manner.
Bottom line, there are millions of good used Winchesters out there. Sadly more than a few are hitting the used gun racks around here as a result of estate sales but I try to give good homes to as many as I can.

FergusonTO35
12-14-2014, 03:02 PM
I think the Henry being heavier than the others is a good thing. Makes me a better shot and soaks up more kick. My Browning BLR was made by Miroku and is really nice, they are around $800.00 now. If Winoku ever comes out with a new 94 for less than $1000.00 I'll be interested.

I had a 464 for awhile and it was a really nice $400.00 rifle, way better than the 2003 Winchester 94 I used to have.

snowwolfe
12-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Found a NIB Winchester 94 Miroku Short Rifle for $850 shipped to my dealer so it should be here in 7-10 days. When I was searching a couple of local gun shops came across the Browning BLR so ordered one from Buds. It is a stainless straight stocked take down model in .308. I think I am done buying guns for at least a couple of months:)

starmac
12-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Dumb question here, but does the hentys and or mossbergs have the rebounding hammer?

GabbyM
12-15-2014, 12:17 AM
Dumb question here, but does the hentys and or mossbergs have the rebounding hammer?

I know the Mossberg's have a 1:10" twist barrel. Which is a down side for me. I like cast 150 grain boolits at full velocity in my Win 94. Never could get that in the Marlin 336. Then My 30-30 so far shoots faster than my 10" twist 30-06 with cast. The 06 still has it all over the 30-30 at 200 yards. With the big boolits and scope.

Never had any issues with the rebounding hammer in my 94 AE. That cross bolt safety has given me fits and made me look a fool on several occasions. Didn't understand why shooters cussed them until I got one. Cutting that thing out is on my t do list.

pricedo
01-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Miroku is top notch and I would have no qualms about any of their guns. Still, for your purpose it may not be the most cost effective. You can get a new Henry .30-30 with receiver sight ready to go for about half what the 94 costs nowadays, that's the way I would go.

I have a Miroku Winchester 94 Trails End Takedown in 450 Marlin.
I also have a 1958 vintage New Haven 94 in 30-30 Win in immaculate condition.
You can have the rebounding hammer and tang safety.
I'll take the pre 64 New Haven Winchesters any day.
Just something about those old Winchesters I like.

pricedo
01-01-2015, 10:03 AM
I think the Henry being heavier than the others is a good thing. Makes me a better shot and soaks up more kick. My Browning BLR was made by Miroku and is really nice, they are around $800.00 now. If Winoku ever comes out with a new 94 for less than $1000.00 I'll be interested.

I had a 464 for awhile and it was a really nice $400.00 rifle, way better than the 2003 Winchester 94 I used to have.

Bought one of the brass Henry 30-30s (H009B or something like that) a few months ago because it looked purty.
It was heavy as a blacksmiths anvil to hold and shoot (handled like a pig on a shovel) and though I like the front end tube loading in a Marlin 39A I grew to despise it in the Henry.
It ain't natural for a levergun not to have a loading gate in the receiver.
One of the guys on the range liked the looks of the fake brass receiver and I sold it right there on the range the same day.
Totally unimpressed with that gun.

TXGunNut
01-01-2015, 02:15 PM
....I'll take the pre 64 New Haven Winchesters any day.
Just something about those old Winchesters I like.-Pricedo

Don't have any of the later pre-64's but have acquired a few pre-WWII rifles and carbines lately and have been very impressed by the quality. The later pre-64's I've been offered lately don't impress me much more than my post-64's. I'm no collector but I know when a rifle feels right to me. Maybe I just like 100 yr old rifles, dunno.
As much as I like the fit and finish of the Miroku 94's I just can't get past that tang safety and the rebounding hammer bothers me. I'll probably never be able to warm up to the Henry either due to the loading accomodations.
Different strokes, I guess.