PDA

View Full Version : BrassMagnet made me do it

rmatchell
12-11-2014, 09:44 PM
I was out today just minding my own business when I came across a decent looking Savage #4 mk 1 Enfield. Picked it up and noticed it was all intact no cuts no holes drilled just in need of a good cleaning. Next I pulled the bolt and to my surprise the bore was nice and brite with strong rifling. I made the mistake of texting ron saying guess what I found next thing I know I get this twisting pain starting at wrist moving up to my shoulder. I couldnt take it any longer I walked out the door a happy man. Does anybody have any advice or any interesting information about these rifles?

I still say Ron made me do it though.

BrassMagnet
12-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Yeah, but he doesn't mind very well. Only a third of the time he gets it right. I told him to get a couple cases of HXP .303 British ammo from Cheaper than dirt. He didn't obey. I told him to buy the new Winchester .303 British brass in Swapping & Selling and he didn't obey. I had to buy it. He is 100% efficient as an enabler, but only 33% efficient at snatching things that just go well together.

rmatchell
12-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Maybe ill get lucky and somebody will scrap 20 pounds of 303

And no regrets on the Enfield

Bzcraig
12-11-2014, 11:59 PM
Near as I can tell it's typical addict behavior........blame someone else!
:bigsmyl2:

skeet1
12-12-2014, 12:02 AM
rmatchell (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?24676-rmatchell),
If you need .303 brass Powder Valley has Prvi Partizan in stock for 46.45 per 100. If I needed some I would buy it.

Ken

rmatchell
12-12-2014, 12:12 AM
I resemble that remark, oh wait.....

rmatchell
12-12-2014, 02:49 AM
Ok so just got off work and slugged the bore. And its right at 313. Lucky me.

Scharfschuetze
12-12-2014, 08:25 AM
Looks like a Savage made "Lend Lease" No 4 MkI with its original two groove barrel. Those barrels have a reputation of being on the large side, so at .313 you are indeed a lucky man!

rmatchell
12-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Im thinking ill order some brass and see what it will do. I also have to fix the front site, it looks like someone tried to remove it and gave up.

Scharfschuetze
12-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Don't jump the gun on that sight rmatchel. The sight so far over may represent an attempt to zero it deflection wise. It looks like the original sight as issued on the rifle so it would be nice to keep it married to the rifle. The square S was the Savage mark for the No 4s that they made.

Shoot it as is and see where your bullets go on a 25 yard target. If they are zeroed up, then that's what the deal is. If they are really far to right, just use a brass punch to drift the blade in its dovetail back to the right until your deflection is back to the left and in the middle of the target. If you have calipers to measure with when you are zeroing the rifle, a No 4's front sight moved about .008" is equal to about one MOA. At 25 yards one MOA (.032") is 1/4" or 4 MOA per inch. Once zeroed at 25, extend the range out until you are satisfied.

Last month one of the members showed a No 4 front sight adjusting tool he was making that really looked nice. If you don't want to use the punch on it (I do with all my rifles like this) then do a search for the thread. I'm pretty sure that M.R.Buchanan was the poster on that particular 303 British thread.

rmatchell
12-13-2014, 01:36 PM
Ill try to get a box of ammo and see where its at here soon. Where is a good place for information on the savage manufactured Enfields? Im thinking it a later model because it has the cut out for bolt removal instead of the plunger.

Scharfschuetze
12-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Ian D. Skennerton has written a couple of very detailed books on the Lee Enfield. Probably my favorite author on the subject. I'm remodeling the living room right now so my books are out of reach in storage, but here's two links that might help.

http://www.amazon.com/British-Service-Lee-Lee-Metford-Lee-Enfield/dp/095974388X/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418514352&sr=1-5&keywords=lee+enfield+and+Skennerton

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Enfield-Centuary-Lee-Metford-Rifled-Carbines/dp/0949749826/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418514141&sr=1-3&keywords=lee+enfield

303Guy
12-15-2014, 02:37 AM
There is also a clamping screw in the front of the sight that you may need to loosen (if you can find the right driver).

The bore doesn't look like a two-groove (it's not that clear - could be either) and .314 seems way too small for the two-groove - they should be around .317/.318.

Love Life
12-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Reverse slot screw...

nagantguy
12-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Real good buy, I haven't been afflicted buy the Enfield addiction as of yet but I do have several, I as a fellow addict also often feel the need to blame someone else, have two shooting buddies whom are great enablers and make good scape goats, like at the coon dog trials in September and two nagants followed me home, of course it was their fault.

rmatchell
12-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Of course it was. You were just minding your own business just like me. Next thing you know they are saying try it, all the cool guys are already.

FLYCUTTER
12-15-2014, 09:05 PM
You have to learn to listen to the voices in your head. They are usually right, so don't try to reason with them, just do what they say. LOL

rmatchell
12-16-2014, 12:13 AM
All joking aside i dont blame brass for the Enfield. I have been wanting one since I traded off my first one and it seems harder to find one that hasnt been cut on with a giod bore. I cant wait till my son is old enough to enjoy these old rifles with me.

aspangler
12-16-2014, 12:22 AM
I don't need enablers. I enable myself. LOL Milsurp addiction is incurable.

303Guy
12-16-2014, 12:54 AM
I just had to share this. It's a photo of the muzzle end rifling (on an Enfield - SMLE). Not my photo but I sure as hell want to know how it was done.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/SMLEMuzzlePhoto_zps62305d14.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/303Guy/media/SMLEMuzzlePhoto_zps62305d14.jpg.html)

P.S. I bought this one! :bigsmyl2:

Scharfschuetze
12-16-2014, 04:50 PM
Not my photo but I sure as hell want to know how it was done.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/SMLEMuzzlePhoto_zps62305d14.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/303Guy/media/SMLEMuzzlePhoto_zps62305d14.jpg.html)

P.S. I bought this one! :bigsmyl2:

I'm assuming that you are referring to the technique of focusing on the rifling? If so, depth of field in a camera can be adjusted by the shutter speed v. the aperture v. the focal length of the lens. On old SLR cameras it was easy, but with modern digital cameras you need to sift through what are often confusing menus. The auto mode will rarely refine a photo enough for more than a casual picture. When done properly, you can focus at any spot you want in the barrel if there is enough light available for a good shot.

nagantguy
12-16-2014, 04:56 PM
I don't need enablers. I enable myself. LOL Milsurp addiction is incurable.I'm afraid you are correct ive found nor heard of any cure short of death once one endevers to start a small milsurp collection.

freebullet
12-16-2014, 05:12 PM
You can't blame BrassMagnet for a deal you got!

You blame BrassMagnet for the deals you missed!

glad we got that squared away.

rmatchell
12-16-2014, 08:04 PM
I wish i could post the texts. They crack me up.

Starts out with hey guess what I found. Then I see did you buy it yet, or grab it fast, and then there is the your going to need some brass.

higgins
12-16-2014, 08:41 PM
I can't tell from your photo if the front sight is a friction fit or if it is secured with the screw with the reverse head. Several years ago I made a "screwdriver" for the reverse-head screw. I found a cheap, junk screwdriver in that miscellaneous tools drawer that had a shaft diameter that would fit in the recess of the sight screw. I then cut the tip off of it and made a large slot in the end of the shaft where it was cut. I cut the slot with a Dremel tool using either a grinder or cutting wheel. It's kind of crude looking but it works.

I've also read of using a valve stem removal tool, but the one I had looked flimsy, which prompted me to make the one described above.

BrassMagnet
02-14-2015, 10:23 AM
Ian D. Skennerton has written a couple of very detailed books on the Lee Enfield. Probably my favorite author on the subject. I'm remodeling the living room right now so my books are out of reach in storage, but here's two links that might help.

http://www.amazon.com/British-Service-Lee-Lee-Metford-Lee-Enfield/dp/095974388X/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418514352&sr=1-5&keywords=lee+enfield+and+Skennerton

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Enfield-Centuary-Lee-Metford-Rifled-Carbines/dp/0949749826/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418514141&sr=1-3&keywords=lee+enfield

Scharfschuetze made me do it!

These two and a few more are now on order from Amazon.

Scharfschuetze
02-14-2015, 09:33 PM
Ha ha! I think that you will enjoy those tomes immensely. Virtually everything you want to know and then about 200% more is between the covers of those books.

One nice thing about collecting old warhorses, is that it lights a fire to learn more about them.

BrassMagnet
02-18-2015, 11:56 PM
This one arrived yesterday:

It's neat!
I'm sure glad you made me do what I wanted to do.
I am eve more glad you pointed me to great books!

BrassMagnet
08-16-2015, 08:34 AM
Don't jump the gun on that sight rmatchel. The sight so far over may represent an attempt to zero it deflection wise. It looks like the original sight as issued on the rifle so it would be nice to keep it married to the rifle. The square S was the Savage mark for the No 4s that they made.

Shoot it as is and see where your bullets go on a 25 yard target. If they are zeroed up, then that's what the deal is. If they are really far to right, just use a brass punch to drift the blade in its dovetail back to the right until your deflection is back to the left and in the middle of the target. If you have calipers to measure with when you are zeroing the rifle, a No 4's front sight moved about .008" is equal to about one MOA. At 25 yards one MOA (.032") is 1/4" or 4 MOA per inch. Once zeroed at 25, extend the range out until you are satisfied.

Last month one of the members showed a No 4 front sight adjusting tool he was making that really looked nice. If you don't want to use the punch on it (I do with all my rifles like this) then do a search for the thread. I'm pretty sure that M.R.Buchanan was the poster on that particular 303 British thread.

I had a saved link for when I got "around to it!" but the link is dead and I can't find the member.
Anyone know who it is?
Will this tool work on other Enfields and Milsurps?

BrassMagnet
08-16-2015, 08:35 AM
I had a saved link for when I got "around to it!" but the link is dead and I can't find the member.
Anyone know who it is?
Will this tool work on other Enfields and Milsurps?

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach an adjustment tool!

Scharfschuetze
08-16-2015, 05:48 PM
Let me look around a bit. I'm having a senior moment and I can't remember the member's name.

I didn't find the thread. Odd as it was pretty extensive as I recall.

I did find these gadgets at Midway USA:

http://ads.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=sight+pusher&cm_mmc=ps_google-_-google-_-GS_Tools_Jigs_Fixtures_Beta_G-_-sight+pusher&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6cCuBRCh4KrGoJ6LoboBEiQAwzYsdOsRpBM_ 3g-e2yW_cNc7gMK-LDNPQYEz7CWjIvTnQ7IaAh3G8P8HAQ