PDA

View Full Version : Harbor freight dual 3lb tumbler

salpal48
12-11-2014, 09:00 PM
i was in the market for a smaller tumbler. i don't use vibratory or wet tumble or pins. Just walnut shells. I have a Lorton 12lb and a 15lb Tumbler. . needed a small for small amounts. harbor freight was running a25% off sale . Total $44.00 out the door with tax. . Well it's not a Lortone or a Thumbler but after a Good lube job with anti seize . I runs real well. with very little noise.
tried 38 special first . very good job. Then tries 450 NE 3.25 cases . again very good Job. it was a pleasent surprise.
They have these coupons online . Going back for media Tomorrow

Dr.S
12-11-2014, 09:13 PM
I look at horrible Fright stuff as a kit. It all will do the job after some tweeks.
I got my mini wood lathe there and fortunately bought the extended warranty.
I was turning a heavy wet log and got the chisel stuck an broke the toolrest and cracked the bed.
Needless to say i baby the latest one.

salpal48
12-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Your right, they are not known for there quality. but for $44 bucks. i said Ok.. maybe I'll jazz it up with some glitter and put it on Ebay
Sal

jcwit
12-11-2014, 09:39 PM
It's how I first started tumbling many years ago.

Tweeks? What's to tweek about a rubber barrel turning on some rollers, not really very high tech.

Hey, the plug even fits in your nearest wall outlet.

Does it work, sure does, don't load it to heavy or you'll be replacing belts which are no more than large "O" rings.

There's my 2 cents, have at it.

Dr.S
12-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Your right, they are not known for there quality. but for $44 bucks. i said Ok.. maybe I'll jazz it up with some glitter and put it on Ebay
Sal
hey sal,don't give away our secret handshake to non ARTCA people.

RogerDat
12-11-2014, 10:10 PM
If you are going to get media you might consider lizard bedding from the pet store it is made from crushed walnut shells and generally much cheaper than stuff marketed for cleaning brass.

Harbor Freight is great for:
Disposable - I need it for this job after that it's all gravy. Air Stapler, it got the insulation stapled for cheap, don't care if I never use it again.
Testing - Might want this type of tool just don't want to spend big bucks until I see how I like it. Oscillating tool.
Generic - Clamps, Dutch Oven, Tarps, Sanding disks, Nitrile gloves. Stuff that is just a commodity where best price wins.

My digital scale came from there and was at least $10 cheaper than elsewhere but those small digital scales are pretty much a commodity now.

I looked at their vibrator to clean brass and was just not impressed with the reviews. Did not really consider rock tumbler.

Bzcraig
12-12-2014, 12:23 AM
Got my HF tumbler a few weeks ago, ordered some stainless pins and I am amazed at how well it works. Info that came with the pins had a statement that read something like if a pin sticks in the case throw away. Seemed odd to me, I was thinking maybe it would stick sideways, so I started checking cases and sure enough, I found a pin stuck firmly upright again the side of a .38 case, couldn't even pop it loose with a small screwdriver. Having to check every case is a bit tedious but I like clean cases and don't want to send one down the bore of one of my guns chasing a Boolit but that is the only downside.

Dr.S
12-12-2014, 12:30 AM
Got my HF tumbler a few weeks ago, ordered some stainless pins and I am amazed at how well it works. Info that came with the pins had a statement that read something like if a pin sticks in the case throw away. Seemed odd to me, I was thinking maybe it would stick sideways, so I started checking cases and sure enough, I found a pin stuck firmly upright again the side of a .38 case, couldn't even pop it loose with a small screwdriver. Having to check every case is a bit tedious but I like clean cases and don't want to send one down the bore of one of my guns chasing a Boolit but that is the only downside.
you mean it was stuck in the flashole ?

rbstern
12-12-2014, 12:56 AM
I've been using the single drum HF tumbler for many years. Have wet tumbled untold thousands of cases in it. No mods whatsoever. Water + a bit of lemon juice + a few drops of Ajax dishwashing soap. Rinse/strain/shake water out. Leave the cases out on a towel to dry for a couple of days.

OBIII
12-12-2014, 01:12 AM
I have a dual drum Harbor Freight tumbler that I have been using for a few years. I use it for wet tumbling with ss media, dry tumbling with corn or walnut, PC coating boolits, and even for making my black powder. I bought a set of extra belts with the tumbler but have yet to have to use one.

OB

Bzcraig
12-12-2014, 01:20 AM
you mean it was stuck in the flashole ?

Nope stuck to the wall of the case. Didn't have a problem with them sticking in the flash holes.

dragonrider
12-12-2014, 02:03 AM
What's to tweak? Apparently the O ring they use for a drive belt, I know it is not unusual for o rings to be used as drive belts. However my first one broke in 10 minutes, second one about the same amount of time. It sits on a shelf in the barn since it stopped running after 20 minutes. ***.

xacex
12-12-2014, 02:17 AM
Wet tumble in it with 1 # S/S tumbling pins per drum, a pinch of Lemoshine, and a capful of armor all wash and wax , fill to the top of the lip with water, and tumble overnight. You will have brass that looks brand new, with clean flash holes, and no tarnish. Lube the bearing "pillow blocks" once in a while, and get something under those tubes on the rollers so they dont slip and you have a fantastic wet tumbler. This dual drum I have here has outlasted two vibratory tumblers, and does more brass at a time.
I use bullseye pins, and never had one stick in a flash hole.

bobthenailer
12-12-2014, 09:30 AM
If the harbor freight drum will work with the Lortone unit ? try to purchase a HF drum assy !

I have the Lortone QT-6 and QT-12 the QT-6 drum will work on the QT-12 ! buy a QT-6 drum only, it use the same seal & lid as the Qt-12.

jcwit
12-12-2014, 12:20 PM
What's to tweak? Apparently the O ring they use for a drive belt, I know it is not unusual for o rings to be used as drive belts. However my first one broke in 10 minutes, second one about the same amount of time. It sits on a shelf in the barn since it stopped running after 20 minutes. ***.

Not seeing it, but I'll bet you overloaded it weight wise.

More weight=harder to turn=broken belts.

Don't ask how I know.

Plus and another poster suggested, lube the little nylon bearings.

1911KY
12-12-2014, 12:46 PM
I have been runnin a HF dual drum since May. Cleaned roughly 4,000 cases with it since then. I do about 200 45 acp cases or 350 9 mm cases per run with 1 lb of Bullseye .471 SS pins in each drum with a pinch of Lemi-shine and a drop of liquid dish soap. I run the water up to the top of the brass which leaves about 3/4" gap for tumble room. I only tumble for an hour to hour and half tops. Brass always looks like new. Haven't had the first issue with mine. It came with 2 extra rubber belts but haven't needed one yet.

Best wet tumble value you will find. My most recent batch:
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/IMG_20141122_185425_zpsgemayhw7.jpg

mdi
12-12-2014, 01:11 PM
When I was looking into wet tumbling, I tried it in my HF rotary. I wasn't going to spend any $$ so I used small (#6 #4) stainless steel screws nuts, cotter pins and washers. Worked OK, just a bit too involved for me.

When I got back into mechanic work (after a messy divorce and theft of my tools) I started with HF tools, as there was a HF store near the shop where I was working. Tools worked OK for a short time, long enough to get a few paychecks and buy good tools (MAC and SnapOn). I believe HF started by selling manufacturer's over runs, refused/confiscated shipments, etc. then branched out to chinese and odd lots of tools. 90% of all HF tools work at first, just how long is the question...

BTW, my single drum tumbler worked for nearly 12 years before I tried to "improve" it...

jcwit
12-12-2014, 06:22 PM
Regarding Harbor Freight hand tools, remember they have an unconditional lifetime warranty.

Granted, I'm just a shade tree mechanic for my own cars, but have yet to break more than 2 or 3 H/F tools in my 71 years, even using a air impact driver.

jcwit
12-12-2014, 06:28 PM
As far as a Vibratory Case Tumbler, take a look at Cabela's kit, in the same price and if you buy them from Cabela's it carry's a lifetime satisfaction warranty.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Reloading/Case-Cleaning%7C/pc/104792580/c/104761080/sc/104661180/Cabelas-Model-400-Vibratory-Case-Tumbler-Kit/731769.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcase-cleaning%2F_%2FN-1100197%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104661180%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat10 4761080&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104761080%3Bcat104661180

Mine has been going for 15 years now, no problems.

dragon813gt
12-12-2014, 06:52 PM
If you are going to get media you might consider lizard bedding from the pet store it is made from crushed walnut shells and generally much cheaper than stuff marketed for cleaning brass.
No point if you're already in Harbor Freight. Pick up a 25# of fine walnut blasting media while you're there. Use a 20% off coupon and it's $20.

There are sites dedicated to the mini lathes that HF sells. There are very few manufacturers of power tools anymore. One factory makes them and gives them different paint jobs. They do make them to different specs but you get the point. I watch what I buy from there. But when it comes time to buy a lathe I'm buying one of theirs. I don't need anything bigger and the other ones are more money because of a different paint color.

Dr.S
12-12-2014, 07:11 PM
If you got a anvil from horrible Fright it would need tweeking.
their stuff is cast barefoot by slaves.

jcwit
12-12-2014, 08:11 PM
If you got a anvil from horrible Fright it would need tweeking.
their stuff is cast barefoot by slaves.

YUP! Just like the computer you're hammering on.

Check your TV, any radios you might have, toaster, blender, in fact any kitchen appliance, clothing, shoes, the list never stops.

Dr.S
12-12-2014, 08:28 PM
YUP! Just like the computer you're hammering on.

Check your TV, any radios you might have, toaster, blender, in fact any kitchen appliance, clothing, shoes, the list never stops.
well i avoid it where possible.And I dam sure dont go in debt for it.
If the chinese army is equipped with their stuff we got nothing to worry about. except a nuclear accident.

I'm sick of chinese trash.
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah18/Jean_Vermain/funniest-gifs-2013-garbage-truck_zpsejera4pl.gif (http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Jean_Vermain/media/funniest-gifs-2013-garbage-truck_zpsejera4pl.gif.html)

bangerjim
12-12-2014, 08:37 PM
The only "tweek" I did it to stick some of that "slick stuff" tape (Woodcraft) to where the drums rub on the sides of the case on both ends.

Runs perfect for over 1.5 years! No complaints.

The rule with HF (or any cheapo brand tools) is: "if you make your living with the tool, do NOT use HF. Buy the good stuff." HF is good for weekend all thumbs handymen and occasional use. Not professional or heavy industrial use.

bangerjim

jcwit
12-12-2014, 09:28 PM
well i avoid it where possible.And I dam sure dont go in debt for it.

You do if you buy a vehicle, new or used, unless of course you pay cash as I do.

MaryB
12-13-2014, 12:51 AM
Want to sell?

bangerjim
12-13-2014, 11:41 AM
Chineese stuff is a fact of life today, thanks to our liberal government over the past several years. The Chicom economy is now officially larger than ours. We buy way too much from them but they are about the only source of many items we use. It shocked me to learn that ~70% of our medicines (and raw components that make them) come from China!

It's not just your cheap tool and TV source anymore! So those that are fuming about stuff from China.....find a warm cozy cave and roll the stone over the entrance!

That is the world we live in now. Far from what I and most of us on here grew up in back in the "goode olde daze". I doubt we can ever get our international and industrial prowess back after 8 years of obummer.

banger

mdi
12-13-2014, 01:07 PM
I agree that out government has "sold us out" for political "pull" and plain old cash. Even my state, Oregon, has made China a "favored nation" with trade agreements, especially timber, in the disguise of "creating jobs...

RogerDat
12-14-2014, 12:37 PM
We have been running a large balance of trade deficit with china for a whole lot longer than the current administration. Little bit of Google time will give you some dates of when Chinese steel industry started dumping steel in this country and putting US plants out of business. Look up the term rust belt. Can't recall when the local casting plant went out of business but it was a long time back, could not compete with people working 10 hrs. a day for a couple of dollars in plants that have no regulations to follow.

OSHA? If an employee gets hurt on the job get another one from the bench out front. EPA? Just dump that stuff in the river or in the back lot, maybe slip a few bucks to an official. They have their Love Canal neighborhoods but without a free press who knows about it. The government stops releasing air pollution readings if the readings aren't good.

I guess I think we can do a better job (at least for now) and have a better system. But when it comes to making it cheap we would all have to live in Hooverville shacks to compete.

What you going to do? You need a tool or piece of equipment you either purchase Chinese/foreign made or have to be willing to shell out more money for a higher quality product. Can't slam HF for doing a good job of finding the products folks want at the lowest possible price.

+1 if you make your living with your tools you have to factor in down time if it breaks down, HF may offer replacement policy but that does not prevent losing a 1/2 day when a tool take a dump without warning. Can't polish some brass because of a failed piece is probably not as big of deal.

mdi
12-14-2014, 01:02 PM
I still have some "HF quality" tools, including a lot of various sockets. In an "emergency" or when a tool needs to be modified for a specific job, I can use it once and if it breaks, toss it; no great loss.

But if I want a tool, I'd rather shell out the bucks for an American made product than buy foreign stuff. Even if I'm retired and no longer make my living with tools...

salpal48
12-14-2014, 01:16 PM
I have Listens to all The complaints about Chinese products . Junk, ****, no good, Buy american, our one time great Government and big business is not going to change. this Junk Fuel our broken down economy. I am guilty as anyone else. If anyone feels That strong about this issue. They should walk around Naked . and live in card board boxes. . the Chinese will work for O.ZIP per hour, american won't. Business are not going to change unless . You stop spending in there stores . and American are not ready to do that.. Americans cant't do it either
Sal

C.I.D
12-14-2014, 09:30 PM
How much say 308 can this hold ?

salpal48
12-14-2014, 11:07 PM
Judging from what I recently did. I feel each drum could polish only 20 or so cases. Maybe 50- 100 38 Or 9mm. each Drum is only 3lb. with the media. I purchased it only to do small amounts of cases

MaryB
12-15-2014, 02:13 AM
Problem I have had with HF sockets and wrenches is poor tolerance and they slip and round stuff off. Some other stuff has been decent. I have one of their $10 sawzalls that is pushing 20 years old and still going strong.

bangerjim
12-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Buyer beware! I have HF stuff and some is very good and some ended up in the garbage real fast.

It tells you a lot about life expectancy when a company ships a spare set of brushes with a tool!!!!!!

Hand tools (sockets, wrenches, etc) are pretty much just garbage for weekend handymen. Any real use and they go south fast. Buy quality if you use them to make a living!

Some (older) power tools are very good. I have some HF stationary metalworking tools going on 15 years that are still excellent and dead on.

banger

WarEagleEd
02-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Blarp,
I put about a pound of brass in each barrel. I can clean about 150 .45 ACP cases between the two barrels. The HF tumbler would probably hold ~60 .308 cases (~30 per barrel).

jcwit
02-24-2015, 06:50 PM
Want a quality "O" ring?

Go Here!

https://www.motionindustries.com/productCatalogSearch.jsp

WarEagleEd
02-27-2015, 01:49 PM
I was looking at my tumbler today and remembered the one "tweak" I did when I first bought it (on the advice of someone else) was to check the two pulleys the o-ring rides on for alignment. They were out of alignment, so I had to get them on the same plane. This alignment issue is one reason the drive belt can break so quickly. I've run a fair number of cases through mine and have had no issue with the belt breaking. Also, they included a few extra belts/o-rings with the tumbler.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Bought a HF double tumbler for the wife to play with. Took it partially apart, examined it, determined the problems, tuned/adjusted it properly, lubed it properly. She's been using it for the last six months all the time with zero problems and seems like the thing is always running with some kinda junk she's put in it.

Twmaster
02-28-2015, 07:41 PM
While most of the complaining about H-F stuff is deserved I can say this.

I've owned their dual drum tumbler for more than 2 years now and I use it frequently with SS pin media for cleaning brass. This thing has been 100% reliable.

(Of course this means it will die this weekend!)

I'm one of the last folks that will ever crow about H-F stuff. However in my experience this has been a good tool.

Caveat Emptor.

WarEagleEd
03-06-2015, 06:06 PM
These are the two pulleys that might need alignment.

mdi
03-06-2015, 06:42 PM
It all depends on what you buy at HF. I had to use a lot of HF hand tools when I started as an Apprentice HD Mechanic, mainly 'cause I didn't have any money. Nope they weren't extra good, but they held up until I got a few paychecks and opened an account with the MAC Man. I still have some HF tools in the back of my tool box. Some HF tools are pretty reliable. My first single drum tumbler was purchased in '86 and continued in use until I "improved" it (I tried to widen the frame for a larger drum) in 2010. Narry a glitch. I have a 3/8" Butterfly that worked for 16 years until I retired. My HF Powder Coating gun still works after a year of hard use. I have a complete "stand by" or "back up" set of sockets, ratchets, etc. in 1/4" and 1/2" drive just in case. Still workable after mebbe 20 years...

Some folks see "Harbor Freight" and automatically think Chinese junk, which in many cases is true, but not always. Mebbe I just know how to determine if a tool is good, useable, or junk...