PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Lubesizer set up for $200 or less

dieselrealtor
12-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Is this a Ford/Chevy debate or is there a preferred setup?

I was thinking about getting the Lee size dies but like the idea of lubing & sizing in the same step.

Thanks in advance.

dragon813gt
12-11-2014, 07:49 PM
You have two options because most people ignore the Saeco due to price. Lee dies are not lube sizers so they don't count. You have RCBS/Lyman and then Star/Ballisticast. So for $200 or less you have one option, RCBS/Lyman.

theperfessor
12-11-2014, 09:25 PM
If you plan to dip lube or use some of the new powder coating products then a push through sizer such as the Lee offerings work well and they are relatively inexpensive.

If you want to lube and sizer at the same time then you are talking about in-and-out sizers (Lyman 45, 450, and 4500, the RCBS LAM series, and Saeco lubesizers) or push through sizers (Star). In-and-out sizers are a little slower to use. The Lyman and RCBS use the same dies and nose punches and those typically are lower cost than comparable Saeco accessories. Of the two, I would buy the LAM 2 instead of a 450 or 4500 - the die retention nut is larger and less likely to strip out the casting.

The Star and similar are the fastest to use but are outside your $200 price range.

I use an old beater of a 450 that I got cheap and rebuilt, but I would buy the RCBS today if I bought new.

bobthenailer
12-12-2014, 08:59 AM
In the past ive have had the Lyman 45 & 450 , RCBS lam and the Saeco on two occasions, all sold and i don't miss them ! if i was to buy one of them today it would be the RCBS unit !

Years ago i switched to the Star , currently have two Star's. and never looked back !

If you shoot enough to need a ( semi) progressive reloading press then you need a Star/Magnma LS, you can easyly do 1000 + a hour .

newrib
12-12-2014, 02:58 PM
If you are at the $200. price point, I would go with the RCBS unit they are better built. I have a older RCBS from ebay for about $100. I would not trade it for a new Lyman 4500.

SSGOldfart
12-12-2014, 03:12 PM
If you are at the $200. price point, I would go with the RCBS unit they are better built. I have a older RCBS from ebay for about $100. I would not trade it for a new Lyman 4500.

Same here I now use lee dies and Mikes AS/2 Hog sizer.any two size 400 to 500 between cups of Joe without it getting cold no need in lube if you use smokes powder coating or the Hi-tect system so Read the first section of this fourm and welcome

wlc
12-12-2014, 04:16 PM
I had/have the same dilemma. I currently use the Lee push through dies and either pan lube or use 45-45-10. I enjoy casting, but the lube and sizing part is my least favorite and I want something faster and less messy. I'm at the point quantity wise that I feel like I should step up to a lube sizer so I am choosing to save my pennies a little while longer and get a Star. From all I have read, they are the Cadillac of sizers.

wv109323
12-14-2014, 08:48 PM
I would look for a used Star. I have two Stars and a RCBS. The RCBS never gets used except for low volume oddball sizing that I can't justify buying a Star die. If you size one or two calibers go for a used Star.

dieselrealtor
12-14-2014, 11:07 PM
I am still in the gathering stage, haven't casted my first one yet.
The plan is to cast for all the calibers I shoot which currently are .380, 9mm, .357mag, .45acp, .45lc, .308 (.30-06) & .223.

I eventually would like to pick up a .44mag lever action, possibly a .270 as well but there are currently no other calibers that I am really hot for.

For me the learning curve (including equipment needs) seems to kind of stop at some point & required performing the task to move forward. It was like that for me with reloading, I read the Lee Modern Reloading cover to cover, watched & read quite a bit before I started, then the learning seemed to be able to move forward. I hope to avoid buying equipment that I will be likely to replace.

I enjoy reloading & shooting, I think I will enjoy casting as well. As much as I enjoy it I don't want to be consumed with it & wish to obtain equipment that speeds the task along, I enjoy my family time as well. I have been using an old Lee Classic Turret but recently purchased a Dillon 550 & looking for a 650 to increase production in the calibers I shoot most.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Preferred Lubesizer set up for $200 or less

Is this a Ford/Chevy debate or is there a preferred setup?

I was thinking about getting the Lee size dies but like the idea of lubing & sizing in the same step.

Thanks in advance.
I'd like to give my opinion via the three following comments:

1. You need to decide what your needs are. If you are going to cast and lube a thousand or so, of pistol boolits for shooting every month for competitions and such. The Star is well worth the price for those purposes and you will probably get one later on, even if you buy something cheaper now...so you'll save money in the long run, But yeah, even if you can find a used one, you'll be into it way over $200 after you buy the dies you need.

2. Now, if you can only come up with $200, that is one thing, but if you can spend more and just don't want to, that is another. If it's the latter, remember that this is a capital equipment purchase that will probably not lose any value, and over the long run, may accrue value.

3. I say the above, even though I prefer the older Lyman 45. My usage is many small batches of different boolits. Changing the setup of the Star for other calibers can be a bit difficult, unless you get setup with a separate top punch (with lock nut) for each boolit you want to size (even in the same caliber). Whereas the setup on a lyman 45 is quick and easy...adding Lube is easier as well. But lubing and sizing a thousand of the same boolit is time consuming and tedious compared to the Star.

glowe
12-16-2014, 05:31 PM
I'd like to give my opinion via the three following comments:

1. You need to decide what your needs are. If you are going to cast and lube a thousand or so, of pistol boolits for shooting every month for competitions and such. The Star is well worth the price for those purposes and you will probably get one later on, even if you buy something cheaper now...so you'll save money in the long run, But yeah, even if you can find a used one, you'll be into it way over $200 after you buy the dies you need.

2. Now, if you can only come up with $200, that is one thing, but if you can spend more and just don't want to, that is another. If it's the latter, remember that this is a capital equipment purchase that will probably not lose any value, and over the long run, may accrue value.

3. I say the above, even though I prefer the older Lyman 45. My usage is many small batches of different boolits. Changing the setup of the Star for other calibers can be a bit difficult, unless you get setup with a separate top punch (with lock nut) for each boolit you want to size (even in the same caliber). Whereas the setup on a lyman 45 is quick and easy...adding Lube is easier as well. But lubing and sizing a thousand of the same boolit is time consuming and tedious compared to the Star.

I had a lyman for about a year, it was good for small batches 30-50. But when I wanted to pump out 300-500, it was painful. Then I bought a Magma star lube-sizer. Had one of the guys from this site make the sizers. Love it and it saves me tons of time. Save up and get the good one. You won't be disappointed.

MT Chambers
12-16-2014, 06:10 PM
Beg, borrow, or steal the money for a Star, the only way to fly.

Love Life
12-16-2014, 07:40 PM
I've used Lee dies, Several Lyman Lubesizers, and a Star.

The lee dies are cheap, but out of the many I have owned only one has ever been the correct size as advertised. I had to open them all up. The lee dies excel in the tumble lube, HI-TEK, and PC arena. A cheap way to take care of your low pressure shooting needs (38 special, 45 acp, and similar) is with a good non-sticky tumble lube. Many like 45/45/10. I like Rooster Jacket, but will be trying Ben's liquid lube soon as Rooster jacket tends to not hold up as you creep into magnum territory. LLA does, but the stuff never dries...ever. Also, Lee provides you with a complimentary education on removing machining oils and deburring.

The Lyman 4500 Lubesizer is a good mid range lube sizer. If you like purty bullets with the grease grooves filled, then this will get you going. Something to look out for is to make sure you have the correct top punch as these types of sizers can size crooked. You'll know what I'm talking about as soon as you see it. The bullet will go into the die canted and one size will size more than the other with the possibility of scraping. Also, this type of sizer doesn't do well for testing out different lubes as you have to clean out the reservoir. Overall I enjoyed mine, it lubed enough an hour to keep me happy, and I'd buy again.

Star sizer...the cream of the crop. They can be finicky, but when they are in the sweet spot they will rain perfectly sized and lubed bullets. Well worth the money, and if you ever swap to a coating system, they are still good to have because man can they put out some production!!

Now the Star is outside of your price range, but worth saving up for.

I hope I have helped.

Mike W1
12-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Thought about a Star once but can't justify the price. If you make a couple simple mods to a RCBS you can do 500-600 in a hour unless you're completely fumble fingered. (I'm only partially so!) Anyhow you'd have to be shooting a heck of a lot to shell out for a Star far as I'm concerned. Never had the newer Lyman models but had a #45 initially and I wasn't that crazy about it.

dragon813gt
12-16-2014, 11:08 PM
I don't think you'd have to shoot a lot to buy a Star. If you're like me running the RCBS hurts my elbows, a lot. If I want to lube 500 bullets that 1000 push/pulls of the handles. A star is one pull per bullet. There is no pressure on the upstroke so no wear and tear on your body. The Star also takes to automation easily. Mine will eventually be run semiautomatically w/ pneumatics.

That being said my Star is used for high volume bullets. I have two LAM1s, 2500+ in one and CR in the other, that see more use than the Star.

Wayne Smith
12-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Not being a high volumn shooter I am satisfied with my RCBS LAM 1 and my Lyman 450. If you need the Dillon you might want to save your money for the Star. I still load single, one at a time. My new speed approach involves a TrueLine Jr turrent or my Bair Brown Bear three station. What you need depends on how much you load and how much you hate repetitive movements!

quasi
12-17-2014, 03:14 PM
Any thing that RCBS makes is better than the Lyman equivalent. I much prefer the Lam2 over the Lyman.

SteveS
12-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Don't overlook the Saeco lubrisizer. They can be had, new, in your price range and it's a quality product.

Buck Neck It
12-24-2014, 02:51 AM
You can push-through size just fine with a Saeco, just remove the bottom punch. You can even push-through size and lube at the same time. It is still less messy than pan lubing.

Lloyd Smale
12-24-2014, 07:25 AM
I agree with some of the others. If you have 200 bucks your close to star territory. If you only had a 100 id say to look on ebay for a rcbs or lyman but with 200 bucks your right in the price range of a used star or save a few more months and buy a new one. Its on purchase you never regret

gunoil
12-24-2014, 12:25 PM
l bought a star sizer for 275$ year ago. Dang things like new. I have 2 now. Keep huntin!

I went to hitec supercoat instead of blue lube.

Later you can buy star bullet feeder for 120$ if even needed.

Heres my youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UozyDZ-44Q4

Down South
12-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Spend a few more bucks and get a Star. You will be glad you did in the long run.