PDA

View Full Version : Kel Tec Sub 2000 9 mm Bore Diameter

Doc.Holliday
12-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Good Day Folks, I have just purchased a Kel Tec Sub 2000 in 9 mm. I would like to shoot cast in this gun and have gotten a bore diameter of .355 as best as I can see.
Is there anyone who can recommend or advise on what boolit diameter they are having success with? With my other guns I normally size .001 to .002 over. I am wanting to use 124 grain FB Truncated cone bullets . As well can anyone advise if this bullet shape will feed in the Sub 2000?
Thank-you kindly

Doc

W.R.Buchanan
12-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Doc; pretty much any round nosed boolit will work or a truncated cone should work as well. They aren't real picking about nose design, but whatever you do make damn sure the barrel is not leading as you shoot. I would also suggest the hardest boolits you can make for it.

I have a .40 S&W version and I shoot mainly plated boolits in it. Powdercoating is another way to go.

As you know the action is a Blowback design and the one thing you don't want to do is push the hinge area of the gun with over pressure loads.

They are pretty cool guns and I am using mine at a 3 gun shoot this weekend unless we get rained out.

Randy

Doc.Holliday
12-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Good After Noon W.R. ;
Thank-you kindly for replying to my post. I will surely take your advice, I have been researching this on my own and with the cost of components for the 9 mm versus the cost of imported factory brass cased fmj loads I am seeing my savings getting kind of thin.
I am counting on losing a lot of brass as I don't seem to shoot in one spot on my ranch and the brass is my most expensive component.
I had of settled on .356 bullet diameter if I go to lead but my alloy might not be as hard as you recommend.
Doc.

W.R.Buchanan
12-15-2014, 02:21 AM
Doc; the good thing about 9mm brass is that it is everywhere. If there are any local ranges or police ranges near by you can probably get a bunch for almost nothing.

If your boolit fit is right leading probably won't be an issue, just make sure it's not an issue by checking the barrel frequently until you have established it isn't a problem.

Powder coating your cast boolits would solve the problem before it go started. Like I said I use mainly plated bullets in mine simply because I use them in my Glocks, however I want to try PC as an alternative as I can do that myself at home on boolits I make myself. IE self sufficient. All the stuff is available at Harbor Freight, and an old toaster oven is fine for cooking the stuff.

Randy

bobthenailer
12-15-2014, 09:17 AM
I have no experince with the SUB ! but i have several 9mm and 38 super handguns, four of those have match grade barrels & two with normal factory barrels that slug between @ .355 to 3.557 dia, in all .357 dia cast boolets delivers the best accuracy.
TIP ! if possible use the same brand of brass for each lot loaded and give Powerpistol powder a try !

garym1a2
12-16-2014, 05:17 PM
I run .357 in my cx4 storm carbine and my glocks also. I found keyhole issues with .356.

I have no experince with the SUB ! but i have several 9mm and 38 super handguns, four of those have match grade barrels & two with normal factory barrels that slug between @ .355 to 3.557 dia, in all .357 dia cast boolets delivers the best accuracy.
TIP ! if possible use the same brand of brass for each lot loaded and give Powerpistol powder a try !

Doc.Holliday
12-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Thank-you kindly Gentlemen; the range closest me will let me have all the 9mm brass I can find so that's a big help.
You fellows are right on diameter. On another forum here in Cast Boolits on 9mm they to are recommending .358 diameter.
The case capacity and history of this cartridge and the lack of talk of gas checks leads me not to try to attempt to turn this cartridge into what it's not.
If I can make up ammo that runs at factory ammo speed; accurate; economic; and don't lead up my barrel, I'll be plenty satisfied with this endeavor.
Another question for you Gentlemen; If you had to choose between a Redding 3 die set in steel or a Lee 3 die carbide set at the SAME PRICE for the 9mm , which would you take?
I have a Redding press and my dies are Redding ; RCBS; Lyman ; and Lee now and all have made good quality ammo in my opinion.
Seeing as the 9mm is straight wall I'm leaning towards carbide Lee
Thank-you again
Doc.

Love Life
12-16-2014, 06:13 PM
I have a RCBS 125 gr RN GAS CHECK 9mm mould It is the bomb and would be worthwhile for you to get one for your application.

I would take neither set of dies. A 4 die set with the crimp in a separate step is preferable.

Casting for the 9mm I have found .357 or .358 to be the golden ticket for cast if your chamber will chamber the loaded rds.

Doc.Holliday
12-16-2014, 08:16 PM
Thank-you kindly Love Life for your insight. I will look for that mould. I have a ME 09 125 RNBB I was planning on using.
All help and advice is greatly appreciated
Doc

W.R.Buchanan
12-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Doc: I would recommend a trip over to www.ktog.org (http://www.ktog.org) That is the Kel-Tec Owners Group.

They have a specialized forum specifically for the Sub 2000. Lots of good info there on the gun in general.

I am a big fan of Kel-Tec guns and have a Sub2000 in .40Glock and a SU 16 CA also. Both are light weight can very capable.

I don't know what kind of machinery you have to reload on but I would advise some kind of progressive or semi progressive or at least a Turret press or a C&H 444 Pistol Champ. I load my .40 S&W's on a Dillon SDB and it works pretty well.

Sub 2000's are extremely hungry guns and the least amount of ammo you will shoot at any given range session is 100+ rounds. The problem is that the gun is still on target after you pull the trigger and as such it is begging to be fired again and again. Most people give in to the urge to pull the trigger a second or third time. I am not immune and neither will you be.

Add to that the availability of magazines with 10,17, 33 round mags and you can see that no pop can or steel target is safe.

With cast boolits you would be looking at .05 to .07 per round which is less than .22lr's

Anyway have fun and I'll post some more things on this thread to keep you moving ahead. There are a few key accessories you need to know about that make the gun much more pleasant to shoot.

Randy

Digger
12-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Doc: I would recommend a trip over to www.ktog.org (http://www.ktog.org) That is the Kel-Tec Owners Group.

They have a specialized forum specifically for the Sub 2000. Lots of good info there on the gun in general.

I am a big fan of Kel-Tec guns and have a Sub2000 in .40Glock and a SU 16 CA also. Both are light weight can very capable.

I don't know what kind of machinery you have to reload on but I would advise some kind of progressive or semi progressive or at least a Turret press or a C&H 444 Pistol Champ. I load my .40 S&W's on a Dillon SDB and it works pretty well.

Sub 2000's are extremely hungry guns and the least amount of ammo you will shoot at any given range session is 100+ rounds. The problem is that the gun is still on target after you pull the trigger and as such it is begging to be fired again and again. Most people give in to the urge to pull the trigger a second or third time. I am not immune and neither will you be.

Add to that the availability of magazines with 10,17, 33 round mags and you can see that no pop can or steel target is safe.

With cast boolits you would be looking at .05 to .07 per round which is less than .22lr's

Anyway have fun and I'll post some more things on this thread to keep you moving ahead. There are a few key accessories you need to know about that make the gun much more pleasant to shoot.

Randy

As a 40 S&W version owner , Randy knows of which he speaks ....they are too much fun !

W.R.Buchanan
12-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Doc: I would recommend a trip over to www.thektog.org (http://www.thektog.org) That is the Kel-Tec Owners Group.

Randy

Doc.Holliday
12-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Thank-You Kindly Randy for the Great reply. I am not much of a fan on the factory front sight so I am looking at that Red Lion indexed front end with a couple of rails for a Red Dot or Holo Site and a fore Grip.
What sold me on this gun was the weight and folding factor but I guess I will have to sacrifice on the weight for a better sight option.
Doc.

W.R.Buchanan
12-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Also look at the "Tacticool" stock tube cover and bolt handle cover. http://www.tacticoolproducts.com/

These are must have items that cost very little and make the gun much more pleasant to shoot.

The gun definitely needs a Red Dot Sight to realize it's true potential. The Red Lion Fore end is a very nicely made piece and allows you to fold and have the accessories you want on the gun.

I have the Red Lion Front sight on mine and a Metal folding rear sight I got of Gunbroker. I am going to build a red dot mount for it soon. I have used this gun at a 3 gun shoot and for close range work it is devastating. past 50 yards I was having trouble with the iron sights, but with a Red Dot I'll be good to 150 easy.

Randy