PDA

View Full Version : MP mold HP pins: left side or right side?

C. Latch
12-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Is there a 'correct' side to put the pins in? Mine are bored on both sides.

I have 2 of these molds, the first I put the pins in the left side (holding the mold away from me as if casting). The second, last week, I put them in the right side. The latter *seems* to allow me a smoother cadence, but I have to be careful not to dribble lead as I bring the ladle to the mold.

Which is right? Which do you do?

gtgeorge
12-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Not sure there is a right or wrong here. I prefer the right side myself and have trouble if they are on the left keeping a smooth flow as a right hander.

dragon813gt
12-11-2014, 10:06 AM
I have them on the left, when holding the mold in front of me. They're in the block w/ the sprue plate. I'm right handed so when I flip the mold over to drop the bullets I can tap the pins out w/ my right hand.

sdcitizen
12-11-2014, 10:26 AM
I also like mine on the left, makes it easier to use the mold mallet which is already in the right hand to tap the pins to release the boolits.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Mine are on the side that least effect the mold guide on my Lee bottom pour pot

Echo
12-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Plus 1 for the left side - makes it easy to tap the pins w/mallet when the mold is inverted to drop the boolits.

btroj
12-11-2014, 11:56 PM
Mine are on the right because it just happened to be where I put them.

If it really mattered he wouldnt bore both blocks, would he?

osteodoc08
12-12-2014, 12:07 AM
Mine are on the right. I've never really had to flip the mold over for the boolits to drop. Once everything is running right a small tap on the handle nut pops the mold open and they plop right out.

freebullet
12-12-2014, 12:17 AM
My first mp mold wouldn't close tight with them on the left. Closed perfect on the right and it works great. Never tried anymore on the left.

Moonie
12-12-2014, 10:51 AM
I've done one in each side to pull them out of the cavities when opened, seemed to work ok and didn't have to tap the pins.

rintinglen
12-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Mine are on the side that least effect the mold guide on my Lee bottom pour pot
+1
If they are on the left, they can bump the top shelf of the mold guide. I put mine on the right.

Alan in Vermont
12-13-2014, 02:39 PM
First you need to determine which direction the rifling, in the gun you are going to shoot the boolits in, turns. Right hand twist you put the pins in the right hand block, left hand in the left side. Failure to orient the pins properly will result in the hollow points closing in on impact instead of opening. Not many casters are aware of this detail. [smilie=1:

wlc
12-16-2014, 01:09 AM
^^^^^:lol: You weren't supposed to tell anyone that..... Too funny, glad I wasn't drinking coffee or you'd owe me a keyboard.