PDA

View Full Version : 224 jacket source

tenx
12-11-2014, 09:06 AM
has anyone ever looked into purchasing 22 rimfire cases from an ammo maker at a point in their manufacture before the rim was headed, when it is just a cup or jacket? i spoke with a remington rep at a the shot show some years back and he seemed interested until i told him i could use only 250k jackets. seemed i was wasting his time with such a small ammount. maybe someone knows someone who knows someone who is willing to listen. a new potential market is out there, clean annealed jackets without the firing pin mark. it hasn't been that long ago when loaded promo ammo was a buck a box or cheaper, they can keep the primer mix, lead and powder, all i want is the cup/jacket. this should keep the cost to us to a minimum. maybe if enough of us committed to purchasing them someone may sell them to us, seems all they would need to do is to pull them off the production line at some point. there is no new set up/tooling costs, run them in a off shift, create some income and possibly a couple of new jobs for someone. a new market and the best i can tell it would be a liability free product. surely this question has been asked before. what ya think??

JRPVT
12-11-2014, 05:52 PM
tenx, if you watch one of the many youtube videos of 22s being made, you'll understand why they won't bother doing it. Having worked in high speed/high volume production, I learned that everything has a set count before problems creep in. Then you change out tooling right before that happens. By throwing in a just jacket making shift( 8hrs. =1,000,000 jackets) you just messed up the count. In this age of making as many 22 rounds as possible, I can't see them doing it. Dave

tenx
12-12-2014, 02:41 AM
but it sure would make things a lot easier and nicer for us swagers. maybe i'm just getting lazy in my old age.

C.I.D
12-12-2014, 03:31 AM
Unless you ordered 2-3 mill jackets It is highly unlikely they will be willing. Simply as they are just that busy.

reed1911
12-12-2014, 11:47 AM
My opinion (As a commercial swager) is that you would be loosing a lot to buy brass like that. Lookit', the only reason to use .22LR brass is that for the most part it is free or nearly so. The brass is not anywhere near uniform as commercial jackets, and even if you buy 1-2 million of the brass it would run you the same price if you order 1-2 million jackets from Sierra or J4.

Please do not mis-understand, you can make very good bullets from .22LR brass. In some cases you can make bullets that shoot better than commercial bullets. But I promise you, if you have the ability to make bullets from .22LR brass that are better than commercial bullets, you would be able to make even better bullets from commercial jackets.

If you are looking to save money over commercial jackets, just buy a drawing die and the equipment to use it and make your own jackets that way, or continue to use .22LR brass. Nothing wrong with any of those options.

tenx
12-12-2014, 01:46 PM
i am using a corbin swaging setup with a csp-1 press with the rimfire jacket maker and i'm happy with it. my thought is they can make a completed round for less than 1 cent each (promo ammo a few years ago anyway) how much is tied up in just the jacket and if we didn't introduce inconsistencies with different lot #'s and mfgs. and annealing, who knows what kind of bullets we could make. don't know the current cost for promo ammo is, haven't seen any in a long time but i would pay the penny or so apiece per jacket for the cleanliness, consistency and convenience. come on now, who wouldn't pay $10 or so for 1000 clean annealed jackets ready to go. not a rant or anything like that, just thinking out loud.......................

wonderwolf
12-13-2014, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't pay $10 for 1000 such cases, why? because I have a 5 gallon bucket of indoor range pick up brass, SS tumbling media and a drive to do my own still. When you start getting lazy for components in this sector of reloading you start to lose the economy aspect of why we do it. Its one thing to buy J-4 jackets if you are a benchrest shooter but at the end of the day...I feel most of us on this sub forum are doing it to for fun, to save money over the long run and because we are DIY'ers of no other breed.

runfiverun
12-17-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm with you.
if I could get decent quality 22 lr brass without the rim on it for a reasonable price.
and I could get a core into it without it being too big for my die, I would be all over some.

the base being square and a consistent jacket thickness is what makes a good bullet,
an unfired 22 case has to be better than one that's been fired and squeezed back down.

Smokin7mm
12-19-2014, 03:52 PM
The thing to consider here is that when we derim the 22lr case we also reduce the diameter of the case to make the proper size jacket (approx .221"-.222"). So, even if you could get these you would have to draw them down and still probably anneal them to be able to use them for jackets.

Bret