PDA

View Full Version : Handles for Parker-Hale Mould

Prowler
02-15-2008, 06:55 PM
I just purchased a Parker-Hale 1858 two bander. With the rifle, I got a new, in the box Parker-Hale mould for the "Original Style .575" 560 grain, hollow base minie. Does anyone know what handles, RCBS, Lyman, Lee, SAECO, etc, might fit this mould? Since the purchase of this rifle, I have decided to cast minies for it, something I have not done in the past. Any information would be appreciated.

montana_charlie
02-15-2008, 07:22 PM
How wide are the handle slots in the mould?
CM

Prowler
02-15-2008, 09:28 PM
How wide are the handle slots in the mould?
CM

The slots are either 8mm x 8mm or 17/64" x 17/64". The slot runs the whole length of the mould which is either 4.5mm or 1-3/4". I am not sure which system was used during their manufacture. There is a pin located in the middle of each slot which I assume goes through the holes in the handles. Hope that helps.

montana_charlie
02-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Strange...I expected a bullet caster would provide measurements in decimal. Anyway, 17/64ths is .256", which is a pretty narrow jaw slot.

I expect the RCBS handles to have the best chance of fitting, and even they may need some thinning.

Those 'pins' should be screws, with their heads visible on the bottoms of the mould halves.
It is they which trap the handle jaws within the slots...loosely enough to allow some play for block alignment.
CM

Prowler
02-15-2008, 10:22 PM
You are correct. The pins are really Allen head bolts with the thread removed in the slot portion. They just screw in from the bottom of the mould. You will have to forgive me on the dimensions, I just used a scale to measure them. Guess I will have to learn the right terms for this whole casting thing. :oops:

obssd1958
02-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Prowler,

I pulled the following quote from a thread on a group buy for handles. I also measured the width of some of my handles and found them to be consistent with the information provided here. I believe the handles you need are for the Lyman 4 cavity. Note that the Lyman 2 cavity is thicker - not sure why - but true none the less!!

Take care,

Don

I promised MC that I wouldn't hi-jack his thread unless there was some info that was pertinent to the GB.

On the last Mould Handle GB, Beau Cassidy took the time to measure the width of the slots machined in various OEM moulds. Thank-you Beau Cassidy for the helpful and valuable information.

It should be mentioned that the thickness of my Regular style tongs measures at 0.306" and the Thin Style measure at 0.296"

I cannot say if these handles will fit 4 and or 6 banger moulds because I have never tried them on these moulds. If anybody has tried these handles on either of these moulds, perhaps they can post their findings.

Here is Beau Cassidy's list:

RCBS- 0.300. Very consistant amond different molds.

H&G- 0.258, 0.255, 0.264 both 2 and 4 cavity.

Lyman 4 cav.- 0.248, 0.250

Lyman 1 cav.- 0.318 consistant for several molds.

Cramer- 0.315 only one on hand that I can find in my stash.

Saeco- 0.315 and 0.312 One each very old and fairly new mold.

Mountain Mold- 0.327, 0.310 suprise, suprise. I should have measured the rest. I would have expected more consistancy. The .327 dia. was a large block .500

NEI- 0.315, 0.310, 0.262 (old 5 cavity)- Can't find handles for this one.

Ohaus- 0.313. Only one in house. 2 cav.

Ballisticast- 0.320. Consistant among several 2 and 4 cav.

The handles, as expected, correspoded with their respective molds.

Hope this bit of info helps.

RRR

Prowler
02-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys for the info. I drove out to Lee Precision today and got a pair of Lee Commercial handles. Fit perfect, no modifications necessary. Best of all, about 1/3 the price of RCBS or Lyman. :-D