PDA

View Full Version : The new Judge tracker?

Tackleberry41
12-10-2014, 06:21 PM
I figured the whole judge thing was already a bit out of hand. I know some love them, but my experience with a 45/410 chambered gun was not overwhelming. Stopped at the LGS today, I was wait whats that? Some huge dirty harry looking thing, wait a long barreled version of the judge, really? Normally a longer barrel is a good thing for accuracy. I had a rossi single shot pistol in 45/410, and with 45 colt it was almost luck to hit anything with it. It had a good 7" of barrel, but that huge free bore between the end of a 45 colt and the forcing cone just wreaked havoc. A 3" chamber just adds another 1/2 of open space to make it worse.

Like I said I know some love those things, and okay in the shorter version, might have some use. But 6 1/2 in of barrel just seems a waste of metal in one of these. I just cant see carrying something that big around when you can get a 44 mag or similar for near the same money.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
12-10-2014, 08:55 PM
All I can say is that if you look through Taurus' archives, there are many many many guns that they tried for a few years and discontinued, I bet this will go the same way. For whatever reason their business model is "sure let's try it!"

skeeter2
12-10-2014, 09:59 PM
I did a lot of searching and reading about 410 revolvers. The longer barreled ones pattern worse with shot. There's more rifling to make the shot spin and disperse it, thus wreaking your already poor pattern.

str8wal
12-10-2014, 10:59 PM
If they had a choke like the T/C barrels they might be a viable tool, but without one the pattern will be scattered. I've fired my 10" Contender without the choke and this will be similar in overall length.

Tackleberry41
12-11-2014, 08:55 AM
No idea what sort of choke T/C might use, the Rossi had a constriction with straight ridges that stopped it from spinning. It did pattern decent. But it was pretty much useless with 45 colt. You would be lucky to hit a 12" box at 20 ft with it with any load I tried, jacketed or cast. I can only imagine that bullet going cockeyed in the freebore, then slamming into the rifling, sure to do wonders for accuracy. And a single shot 410 pistol, well not sure what its use would be. I ended up doing a barrel stub with it, and converting it to 45colt, shoots fine now.

The long barreled gun in the case sure looked 'impressive', like something that would put the 44 redhawk in the same case to shame. Tho the redhawk was pretty much the same price. I see Taurus makes a 454 version, same long cylinder, guess it has a ton of freebore to, something you would want in a 454. Accuracy is overrated. But they do seem to sell alot of these judge pistols.

slughammer
12-11-2014, 08:44 PM
............ And a single shot 410 pistol, well not sure what its use would be...........

Rabbit hunting with a dog. Shoulder holster to carry it when getting through the brush or picking up the beagle. Wait for the dog to bring the rabbit around. (Rabbit is way ahead of that noisy beagle). My brother did this for years with his 14" contender 45/410.

35 shooter
12-11-2014, 10:14 PM
I've recently tried the Lee 45 cal. 292 gr. minnie ball in my bond arms 45/410 derringer.The hollow base seems to swell out and do a good job of sealing the 410 portion of the chamber out. My brother uses the same boolit in his judge.
I get 3" and less groups at 25 yds. with this boolit and no tumbling from the derringer. I've been shooting them unsized.
It's the only consistent boolit i've found for the 45/410's.

kenyerian
12-11-2014, 10:34 PM
+One on rabbit hunting with contenders. I raise beagles and hunting with a pistol really is enjoyable. I have a 10" barrel on a contender and a 15" on an encore and neither shoot 45's very well but they work real well on small game using the 410.