PDA

View Full Version : Joining the 44 Mag family

osteodoc08
12-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Let me just first say that I have been hesitant to delve into the world of the 44, despite the urgings of many here. See, I have a love affair with the 41 Mag and 45 Colt. No need for a 44. I've passed on revolvers, long guns, etc over the years......Until today.

I was in my local fun shop and one of my favorite clerks, Mutt (his nickname), called me over and handed me a Marlin 1894. Not bad shape, but not perfect. Had a few surface rust spots here and there, but I could scratch off most of it with a finger nail. Cycled the lever a few times and was nice and smooth. Stock used and dinged but very servicable. Front piece a little play in it. Missing the front sight hood. Look it over a few seconds and he hands me a bore light (we go through the same charades every time). I peer down the barrel. Pristine MG barrel. Look for the safety to check it out, wait, there is none. Look at the born on date, hmmmm, '77 vintage. We debate price back and forth and we settle on a fair price. He will hold it for me until I have a chance to bring him the cash on Monday.

So I am now the owner of a 1977 vintage, non safety, JM marked, 44 mag carbine for just a shade more than 3 bills OTD. I couldnt be happier. Now to look for brass, dies, molds, etc. Pictures early next week.

hpdrifter
12-10-2014, 09:01 PM
sounds like a deal to me. congratulations.

Shuz
12-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Congratulations on a great deal! I'd jump on a deal like that even tho I've owned 2 different Marlin 1894's in the past that I could not get to shoot as well as my 1894 Winnie trapper. The "secret" to getting the .44 mag Marlins to shoot well lies in FAT boolits. I would start with .431 diameter and go up from there. There are lots of guys on this board and the Marlinowners site who have been able to get their 1894's to shoot well. I ran out of patience with the ones I've had, but at a "shade more than 3 bills OTD", I'd be sure willing to try again. Good luck and hang in there!

Jack Stanley
12-10-2014, 11:37 PM
Well worth the "risk" for that kind of money ! ;-) My Marlin .44 is about ten or so years older and it likes .432' or .433" diameter .

Jack

osteodoc08
12-10-2014, 11:58 PM
I'm gonna start with .432 boolits. If I have to polish my sizer a bit to get a fatter boolit, no big deal. I was aware of the MG barrel "issues", but I always appreciate the feedback.

I was looking for a dedicated "cast boolit shooter" and this fell into my lap. Can't complain with that! I've got an NOE mold 245gr SWC floating around somewhere. It was Dads that he used in his DW. That revolver has mysteriously disappeared under by brothers watch (I know what happened but don't want to go there right now) so I'll be firing up the pot and dropping some when I get a chance. Gotta dig up brass dies and whatnot too.

DLCTEX
12-11-2014, 12:23 AM
I feel sorry for you incurring all that expense here at Christmas time, so I will give younyour money back since I already have moulds, brass, dies, etc.:bigsmyl2:

TXGunNut
12-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Nice score. I've tried to avoid the 43 caliber for years because I'm heavily invested in 45 Colt. Adding cartridges is an expensive proposition for a handloader, even moreso for a caster. I keep forgetting that I have a set of dies and even a T/C barrel. ;-) Congrats on a nice little rifle, hope it works out for you. It's good that you are putting one of your dad's moulds back to work.

osteodoc08
12-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Nice score. I've tried to avoid the 43 caliber for years because I'm heavily invested in 45 Colt. Adding cartridges is an expensive proposition for a handloader, even moreso for a caster. I keep forgetting that I have a set of dies and even a T/C barrel. ;-) Congrats on a nice little rifle, hope it works out for you. It's good that you are putting one of your dad's moulds back to work.

I almost didnt pick it up for the same reason you dont have one. I'm also heavily invested in the 41Mag and 45 Colt. But I couldnt turn this one down. Sooooo, I'm looking foward to getting out and spending time with her.

TXGunNut
12-13-2014, 03:21 AM
The 43 is a wonderful caliber, from the 44 Spl to the 44 Mag and even the 444. Even with my prejudices firmly in place I probably would have bought her. The 44 Spl is an awesome BP or BP velocity target or hunting round and the 44 Mag is well established as a hotrod round that performs well at it's upper limits. No need for me to say any more, just read what Uncle Elmer had to say on the subject.
I think you'll enjoy your new rifle, hope some of your dad's loads work out for you. IIRC he was a meticulous and studied loader/caster, should save you a lot of experimentation.

mac266
12-13-2014, 08:29 PM
That sounds like a bargain to me!

DougGuy
12-13-2014, 08:44 PM
At that price point, it would still be a good bargain even if you do have to set aside dies, brass, sizer, boolits, even a mold that drops big enough, and just build ammo for the MG barrel. It might be a good one to take a chamber cast of, it may give you a good starting place for boolit size and COA.

osteodoc08
12-14-2014, 01:16 AM
The 43 is a wonderful caliber, from the 44 Spl to the 44 Mag and even the 444. Even with my prejudices firmly in place I probably would have bought her. The 44 Spl is an awesome BP or BP velocity target or hunting round and the 44 Mag is well established as a hotrod round that performs well at it's upper limits. No need for me to say any more, just read what Uncle Elmer had to say on the subject.
I think you'll enjoy your new rifle, hope some of your dad's loads work out for you. IIRC he was a meticulous and studied loader/caster, should save you a lot of experimentation.

Thank you for the kind words. I was his student starting at age 5 best as I can recall. He was a very accomplished Hunter, loader and general outdoorsman. He got into casting later on in his life but was very meticulous. I've since picked and kept up the hobby and have been under the wing of his friend Ralph (45cal) and continue to learn the craft. I've also learned a lot from the tenured members here and pass along my knowledge when I can.

dubber123
12-14-2014, 09:41 AM
For fear of being burned at the stake, don't overlook the Speer 270 Gr. Deep Curl, (formerly Gold Dot) soft points. They shoot right around 1/2" at 50 yds. and and inch or so at 100 from my 1894P. Deer don't like them at all. Don't expect to recover one though.

TXGunNut
12-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Thank you for the kind words. I was his student starting at age 5 best as I can recall. -Osteodoc8

They weren't just kind words. When I was a new guy suffering from information overload on this site he took the time to write a well thought out response to one of my posts. At the time I had almost 30 yrs of reloading experience but the world of cast boolits was a big, scary world for me. Wish I could remember the thread.