PDA

View Full Version : Longshot with Rocky Mountain Reloading 9mm 125gr

nailedorfailedreviews
12-10-2014, 02:56 PM
I know a lot of you make your own boolits, but I went ahead and ordered some from Rocky Mountain Reloading...its their own cast bullet they are making. I had received some sample packs from them in 9mm, 115gr, 125gr, and 147gr. I loaded them all up with Longshot and the 125gr were perfect in every way, so I went and ordered 3k for cyber monday. Received them last week and loaded up 300 with 5.0gr of Longshot at 1.110" with range brass and Federal Gold primers. I loaded the 300 for a match over the weekend and then it happened....a squib!...Fug! It was on the last stage, but I only got in about 3 targets and had to stop. Shooting from a Taurus PT111 G2 9mm with a 3.01 barrell.

My question is have you guys ever used Longshot with this weight boolit?....and if so did it spray smoke like a diesel pickup taking off from a stop light? Some might think there was a tire fire nearby when I was shooting these things. Is there anyway to reduce the smoke? I can't tell if it's coming from the lube they apply to the boolit, or if its from the powder, or both.

The other problem I seem to have is some leading following the rifling grooves...reading this site... http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_7_Leading.htm about leading it seems to say that maybe these boolits are to hard....can that really be in this day and age? Here is what the RMR web site says about their hardness..... http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/9mm-125-Gr-Rocky-Mountain-Thunder-Truncated-Cone-1000-Count-9mm-125-RMT-TC-1000-Ct.htm {{{{Rocky Mountain Thunder (RMT) bullets are cast from a lead/tin/antimony allowwith a brinell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinell_scale) hardness of 18 and a beveled base foreasier reloading. The hardness of these bullets has been optimized foraccuracy while still resisting leading in the barrel. Our specialnon-sticky lube is Alox free and has a melting point of 165 degrees Fahrenheit,so it works well even in warmer climates. This bullet looks the same and has the same profile as our .357/.38 125grain bullet, but it has been specially sized for 9mm.}}}}}}}

I'm going to load up a little heavier on the powder charge to see if this will help with the leading, as 5gr is the low charge and 5.7gr about the max with Longshot.

I'd really like to keep using these boolits as they are super cheap, but as with most new reloaders to cast I can't stand dealing with trying to scrap lead from my barrell.

Here are the other powders I have on hand; BlueDot, Unique, Titegroup, Vit n340, 800x, 700x, PB, CFE Pistol, A #5. I'm also loading 40sw, so I like some of these powders for that, but I really want to load up these 3k of 9mm and be done with them for a while so I can just shoot.

anyone else using Longshot?
anyone else using Rocky Mountain Reloading Cast Boolits?

also a note to anyone ordering these, as their description says, these boolits measure the same as .357 and they can fall through the Hornady bullet feeder die, but not very well and I think it's how I got my squib since I had to keep messing with the boolits not falling, like all freaking night when I was making them....the Hornady bullet feeder die collets measure .355 while on my calipers these boolits are measuring almost .358 so I've ordered up some of the .357/38 collets from Hornady to see if it will help drop them.

thanks guys, any insight would be appreciated. 124099124098

twc1964
12-10-2014, 05:21 PM
About your leading....you need to slug your barrel. I have a glock 9mm and tried .356 diameter and got leading. I read here that many use .358 boolits so i tried it. Accuracy went way up and no leading. Seriously though, slugging your barrel is almost a necessity. Also, many commercial casters use really hard lead to try to minimize leading but if the boolit fits your bore correctly you can use softer lead. Mine are about 11 brinnel and all is well. Ymmv

willie_pete
12-10-2014, 08:16 PM
I also have settled at .358 in stock Glock barrels; more accurate.

WP