PDA

View Full Version : I finally found love!

nekshot
12-10-2014, 01:56 PM
124090124092I have this 357 ruger for a number of years and downright despised it. I had a security six in the early 70's and a bunch of super blackhawks for a while and then a gap of about 25 years with no ruger till I walked in a local shop and saw this beat up ruger with a busted off rear sight (I had one from the security six because I scoped it) and it was priced right so I bought it. Never could find any love for the gun, it absolutly did not fit my hand so I tossed it in a shelf for dust. Got it out recently and said I can spend 200 some bucks and replace the handle to better suit my grubby little hand or trade it in and fork out another 200 odd bucks for a smaller handle model or go to the grinder. The grinder won, as I am not a collecter but a praticalist! So here it is and my love is growing daily for this baby, she sure fits in my hand nice!!

Zim
12-10-2014, 02:05 PM
I love a happy ending! Looks like a nice improvement.

osteodoc08
12-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the Bisley grip (more or less). It is my favorite over the plow handle. Being the grip is detachable, if you ***** it, you buy another and try again. Enjoy your new found friend.

pietro
12-10-2014, 02:33 PM

I'm glad you learned to dance with who brung ya ! :guntootsmiley:

Jtarm
12-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Just curious: why did you own multiple Supers if a standard Blachawk is too big?

That dragoon-style trigger guard was one of Bills worst ideas.

nekshot
12-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Just curious: why did you own multiple Supers if a standard Blachawk is too big?

That dragoon-style trigger guard was one of Bills worst ideas.

That was a question I asked myself. When I bought this gun I barely handled it for I was more interested in the missing site damage and other scuffs. All I can say is those 44 magnums with that nice long tube I could handle very well as I could ring the 8 inch gong at 80 yards freehand with about 3 cylinders going 6 for 6 and then I would go 4 or 5 for 6 shots. I think that was the one of the frustrations I felt with this gun after I got home it did not feel right. Maybe my hands shrank! And personally I thought that square back trigger was neat and they never bit me!

hpdrifter
12-10-2014, 08:53 PM
wow, a Plowsley.

contender1
12-11-2014, 12:13 AM
Different grips fit different people. None are perfect for everybody. (Elmer Keith was the one who wanted the Dragoon grip frame on the Super if I recall correctly.)

EDK
12-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Different grips fit different people. None are perfect for everybody. (Elmer Keith was the one who wanted the Dragoon grip frame on the Super if I recall correctly.)

With big hands, the XR-3 grip frame ain't good. I briefly had a factory BIRDSHEAD VAQUERO. I liked the DRAGOON; resisted the BISLEY for years and then bought several; have since installed HUNTER grip frames on multiple Original Size VAQUEROS. I'd have to fondle a #5 clone before shelling out for that one.
I'm from Missouri and my real initials are EK....like the patron saint of american handgunners.

hpdrifter
12-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between Hunter grips and Bisley??

TCLouis
12-11-2014, 10:00 PM
You DID what I have contemplated doing with my old truck gun quality Blackhawk and also to my round triggerguard frame on the SS Super Blackhawk.

Just seems like it would fit my hand better reshaped like that.

Just concerned what the result would be worse than the plow handle grip shape on their now.

I did find I can shoot the Super Blackhawk better too, now that I made a set of grips that are thinner, straight sided with NO flare at the bottom. Fits my hand better too.

EDK
12-12-2014, 05:21 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between Hunter grips and Bisley??
The HUNTER is a Super Blackhawk/Dragoon with a rounded back trigger guard, available in stainless steel only. It looks like an XR-3 Red but is larger.

monge
12-13-2014, 05:58 AM
Had same problem with my vaquero and blackhawks in 44sp I put the early grip frames on and blended them in they are stainless.

Jtarm
12-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Elmer Keith was the one who wanted the Dragoon grip frame on the Super if I recall correctly

Yes, you recall correctly. Keith made sure to take credit for anything and everything he was remotely involved in. I guess Bill Ruger figured going with Keith's suggestion would get his endorsement for the SBH.

I'm not knocking his skills or accomplishments. But he was an incredible windbag, IMO.

I've owned BHs & SBHs with every grip frame except the Hunter and prefer the XR3, closely followed by the XR3-RED to them all.

hpdrifter
12-14-2014, 01:29 PM
The HUNTER is a Super Blackhawk/Dragoon with a rounded back trigger guard, available in stainless steel only. It looks like an XR-3 Red but is larger.
I thought the Dragoon evolved into the Bisley via Elmer/Ruger. Is the Hunter grip longer/deeper than the regular Blackhawk grip?

Jtarm
12-18-2014, 04:00 PM
I thought the Dragoon evolved into the Bisley via Elmer/Ruger. Is the Hunter grip longer/deeper than the regular Blackhawk grip?

The Bisley came out a few years after Elmer passed.