PDA

View Full Version : Hornady primer tube filler coming

cheese1566
12-10-2014, 11:03 AM
I see Hornady is coming out with a handheld primer tube filler for 2015. I received my 2015 catalog in the mail,,,,unsure if it is on their website.

the handle is the shape of a little 1911 pistol...unsure about that design. Looks like a squirt gun but similar to the Frankford Arsenl unit.

Wait and see how it turns out ($$$) and how well it works.

chsparkman
12-10-2014, 11:21 AM
If it works better than the Frankford Arsenal version, I'm in.

mac60
12-10-2014, 11:26 AM
If it works better than the Frankford Arsenal version, I'm in.

I had issues with small primers in the Vibra prime. After sending me a replacement tube AND a replacement for the tray - it still would not feed small size primers of any brand. They wound up sending me an entire new tool and it works flawlessly.

BDJ
12-10-2014, 11:34 AM
It is in the new catalog -- page 65 --- The 1911 auto primer tube filler.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-1911-Auto-Primer-Filler-Tube

cheese1566
12-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Looks like the website has a short video as well.
priced at $73 MSRP.

HATCH
12-10-2014, 12:19 PM
looks like a frankford in design...
Mine works fine. I just have a RF100 now

John Allen
12-10-2014, 12:24 PM
I use the frankford arsenal one. I have no idea how I lived without this for years. I actually thought of buying a spare just in case they disappeared again. It is such a great primer loader.

AFK
12-10-2014, 09:11 PM
For $72 I'll pass, what a rip

jmar254
12-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Hornady prices are usually well over what the online dealers charge.

DonMountain
12-12-2014, 05:56 PM
For $72 I'll pass, what a rip

I can't believe anybody could be so lazy that they would need one of those? what happen to turning a primer box over on a primer tray and picking them up with the tube itself? It only takes a few minutes to put a whole tray of 100 primers in a tube. But I guess those of you that use case and boolit feeders on their progressive presses must not care for the reloading part of shooting and just want to get out of the reloading room as soon as possible and back to the TV. Me, I hate TV.

VHoward
12-12-2014, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I can't believe that there are people who think nobody should have a choice in how they load the primer tubes. They even call them lazy if they don't use the old way.

dragon813gt
12-12-2014, 07:05 PM
I can't believe anybody could be so lazy that they would need one of those? what happen to turning a primer box over on a primer tray and picking them up with the tube itself? It only takes a few minutes to put a whole tray of 100 primers in a tube. But I guess those of you that use case and boolit feeders on their progressive presses must not care for the reloading part of shooting and just want to get out of the reloading room as soon as possible and back to the TV. Me, I hate TV.

Talk about some MAJOR assumptions. For those that compete time spent reloading means less time practicing. Any time saved is a good thing even if you load on a single stage.

bbqncigars
12-14-2014, 07:03 AM
The Hornady unit looks nice. I will not be buying one as my home built units (using Lee Auto Prime trays) work well.

Billairgun
12-14-2014, 08:24 AM
I was just on Grafs site and they already list the Hornady tool for 56.99(out of stock). So the main difference between it and the Frankford is grip angle and one uses AA and the other is AAA?

seagiant
12-14-2014, 08:46 AM

Hi,
Tell em Don! Ha! I don't know if I reload to shoot or shoot to reload!

tomme boy
12-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Some people actually worked their whole life with their hands and using anything like the tubes to pick up the primers HURT! So for some it is a necessity to have things like this to help them. Case and bullet feeders are nice to have in this situation too.

chsparkman
12-14-2014, 10:27 AM
The reason I got a progressive in the first place was to speed up the process. I can reload or work on any of my other hobbies when I'm by myself but when my wife is home is rather spend time wit her. Anything that makes what I do even just a little more efficient is worth it to me.

cheese1566
12-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Only reason why I have one is the Frankford's where on sale at a deal I couldn't pass at MidwayUSA a few months ago. Otherwise I used my hand for twenty years. Call me lazy....

but in addition, I am a gadget guy who probably spends more time tinkering with his equipment and stuff than actual shooting.

Seems like there has been quite an interest over he years I have been here about primer fillers and developing a handheld that worked decent. Thought I would share the info.

I guess I am too lazy to fill my tubes by hand. Too lazy and that I should stop scrounging wheel weights, sorting them, smelting them into ingots, casting them into boolits ( lazy...since I usually use a six cavity and not a single ), sizing them ( on a Star,,,lazy again! ), polishing my brass ( darn,,,lazy aging since I use a tumbler ), and reloading them on my progressive ( lazy again, I know,,,but sometimes I use a single stage!! ).

Ok, rant is over.

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2014, 09:46 AM
looks like a copy of the fa unit with a stupid pistol handle for more money. Ill stick to the fa unit thanks.

jmorris
12-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Day late and dollars short.

They should have came out with it when FA discontinued the vibraprime. Now that they are maing them again and the sale where they were $25ea. I figure everyone that is going to get one already has one or two now.

BK7saum
12-16-2014, 12:16 PM
With the FA unit, I can fill a primer tube and have the primers loaded into the press tube in under a minute. Why would I want to spend several minutes punching individual primers into a tube? I've done it and really prefer not to do it again.

I did purchase a spare FA from Midway on sale when they re-introduced them. I've been using the older one for at least 15 years, maybe longer.

Brad