PDA

View Full Version : Scope recommendations for a 45-70 Handi?

GoodOlBoy
12-10-2014, 05:42 AM
As the title says I have a 45-70 Handi that I love. As much as I have always been ANTI-scope for 90% of my shooting my eyeballs are to the point I have no choice in the matter. I am shooting within 200 yards with this rifle, and I tend to shoot low velocity handloads. IE I am not trying to break any land speed records, nor do I enjoy the finer points of massive recoil these days. I don't need (and can't afford on a fixed income) a fancy dancy scope, I just need a decent scope with decent clarity that will handle the recoil. I have been even considering going with a shotgun scope instead of a rifle scope, but that may just be scope inexperience talking. The only scopes I currently own are a old weaver K4 steel bodied scope that needs a rebuild, a old weaver Gseries steel scope I can't find rings for, and the Leupold Vari-x II that's on my 223 varmint-er (and has to stay there because I still have coyote issues around my place). I wish the K4 didn't need a rebuild but there ya go.

Anyway any suggestions on a cost effective, preferably fixed power solution?

Thanks

GoodOlBoy

Texas Tinker
12-10-2014, 06:39 AM
I always keep an eye out for good used "Made in the USA" fixed power scopes from Weaver, Redfield or Lyman. Gunshows and local traders are my prefered shopping venues for used items because I prefer to deal face to face when possible. My 45-70 Handi is wearing a Lyman American 4X with permacenter optic (My eyesight has gone south on me as well). Even with the scope my Handi is still very light and manuverable.
If you are looking for new in the box availability, I believe that Weaver and Redfield both still make "Non Tactical" :) versions of their low power variables 1.5x - 4x. My wife uses a Weaver version on her Marlin 336 and the pigs can't seem to get out of the way of it.

Maineboy
12-10-2014, 06:50 AM
I have a Leupold FX II on my Marlin 45-70. It's a great scope, short, light, with plenty of eye relief and the zero never changes. You can find one for about $269.00. There is also a 4X version for about $30.00 more. I also had good experience with a Nikon 2X7 Prostaff shotgun scope on that rifle and recommend it as well. That one runs around $159.00. You can spend a whole lot less on something like a Tasco Pronghorn and MAY get lucky but then again...

flounderman
12-10-2014, 06:57 AM
I have a made in Japan, Bushnell scopechief VI, 3 x 9 that should be a good scope. It was the top of their line at the time it was made. I can't see anything wrong with it except a blemish or two on the outside. Glass is good. I would take 30.00 and shipping for it. Probably find a set of rings for another 5.00. You can pm me if you are interested.

12-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Brand new Weaver 4x's are in the area of $150 or so. Great scopes and the 4x is perfect for the H&R Handi. I'd check the difference between fixing your old one and the cost of a new one. Shotgun scopes usually have too fat stadia lines which cover the POI, thus making it hard to get the best accuracy. I try to mount it low. Sometimes, I even have to grind the hammer top slightly so it functions.

GoodOlBoy
12-10-2014, 10:19 PM
thanks for the advice guys. I think I am going to look for another old steel tube weaver K4 that DOESNT need a rebuild.

flounder thanks for the offer. If I don't find anything else anytime soon I might give you a hollar.

GoodOlBoy

koger
12-13-2014, 10:12 AM
I would defintiley go with the 2x7 Nikon shotgun Pro staff model, have them on 2 45/70's, one a Handi, great scopes. I also have an older 2x7 Leupold I bought at a gunshow for $100, great scope on my Marlin 45/70 guide gun. I would suggest, you are better off buying a new scope, w/warranty, than a older nostalgic one that might be ok. Cheap scopes will cost you money, hair pulling and high blood pressure when they start to go, might work for awhile. I have never had a Tasco, or Bushnell, even the higher priced models, hold up on a heavy recoiling gun. Buy Quality, cry once, buy cheap, cry more, been there, done that. I had a friend, with a Bushnell 6x24x44 Mildot Elite I think, $600 scope on his heavy .223, reticule came loose and he sent it back for repairs, since it was less than 6 months old. They said it had obviously been on a heavy recoiling rifle, .,223 weighed 14#. He had hell trying to get it replace, had another buddy of ours who is a lawyer send them a letter, got a call pretty quick, new scope and $50 coupon for further Bushnell purchases. He sold the scope as quick as he got it back, never again. I have had the same experience twice, again, never again.

GhostHawk
12-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Right now at Amazon there is a good deal on a Simmons, with a 30 dollar rebate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LJT8AI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Scope sells for 59.95, which in my opinion is reasonable enough. Up to you if you want to try for the rebate or not.

It is a fixed 4 power, and personally I have come to prefer a variable normally I go for 3-9x so you can get a bigger field of view.

Like this one, I don't like that I know virtually nothing about the name. Bushnell, Nikon, Leopold, those are names you can trust.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JJCHRA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I have bought this one, and mounted it, and it seems sharp, clear, holds zero, adjusts easily.

There are in my experience a LOT of scopes out there in the 70-140$ range, some with good names.

Trial and error is about all you can do.

Cornbread
12-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Nikon Pro-Staff 3x9x40 with BDC reticle. They are inexpensive and you can go online with the Muzzle velocity and BC of your cast bullet and use Nikons online calculator to get the impact distances for each mark in the reticle for your load. Even if you are shooting fairly mild 45-70 loads the bottom mark should be at least 200 yards if you site the crosshairs in at 100 yards dead on. I have this scope on two .308s and 1 .45-70 so far and really like it.

white eagle
12-13-2014, 03:23 PM
since you don't like scopes how about a red dot?
I have a Ultra dot on my Ruger#1 45-70 and love it
It may be worth some consideration

JSnover
12-13-2014, 04:00 PM
If all you need is rings, PM Buckshot or one of the other machinists. Maybe post it in the gunsmithing section. There has to be someone who can hook you up.

drinks
12-22-2014, 12:09 AM
I use a 2x ler in a scout mount, as far forward as I can mount the scope. This is on a NEF .45-70
CDNN often has some good buys on sale.
Pistol scopes intended for use on magnum revolvers do well and are often under $50

GoodOlBoy
12-22-2014, 12:24 AM
drinks you are in Trinity? I live outside of Crockett!

Small world.

GoodOlBoy

Shooter6br
12-22-2014, 02:33 AM
I have a Weaver 4x steel. Newer cheaper scopes are brighter and clearer. New technology

RJH
12-23-2014, 11:58 PM
I would go with a 1-4x or 2-7x.

Rick Hodges
12-24-2014, 08:46 PM
I am partial to a fixed 2.5x or at most 1-4x Leupold with a heavy duplex crosshair. They are usually sold as a shotgun or muzzle loader scope. I own one of each for my inline muzzle loaders, love them.

GoodOlBoy
12-25-2014, 02:49 AM
Got a Lyman All American Perma Center 2.5x on the way. thanks for the recommendations guys!

GoodOlBoy

Griz44mag
12-30-2014, 11:02 PM
I got to the same point GoodOleBoy, Eyes just finally gave out for iron sights.
I went with a Mueller scope from Midway (APT) because the crosshair focus eyepiece and the objective are separate. Lets tired old eyes get the best of both worlds when crosshair focus and target in a fixed paralax scope just won't come together anymore. I have 7 of them now, and one of them sits proudly on top of a CVA 45-70 Apex and has stood up to many, many rounds of 405gr full house loads.
I mounted all my scopes with EGW rails and Leupold QRW rings so they can be dismounted easily for storage, leaves a ton more room in the safe that way too. Remounting they are never more than 1/4" off from the last shot.
it's a fact of life, the eyes are going to age, and optics are the only thing that keeps us old farts shooting past 50 yards.
Your pic looks an awful lot like an old work buddy of mine, that you Zummie?

craig61a
12-31-2014, 01:17 AM
I always keep an eye out for good used "Made in the USA" fixed power scopes from Weaver, Redfield or Lyman. Gunshows and local traders are my prefered shopping venues for used items because I prefer to deal face to face when possible. My 45-70 Handi is wearing a Lyman American 4X with permacenter optic (My eyesight has gone south on me as well). Even with the scope my Handi is still very light and manuverable.
If you are looking for new in the box availability, I believe that Weaver and Redfield both still make "Non Tactical" :) versions of their low power variables 1.5x - 4x. My wife uses a Weaver version on her Marlin 336 and the pigs can't seem to get out of the way of it.

I've found decent scopes on eBay - of course you have to set a price you're willing to pay and stick to it. Sometimes they go for ridiculous prices, other times time not much interest and you can pick something up cheap. Just put in the time.

MtGun44
01-09-2015, 02:09 AM
Something with a LONG eye relief and stout rings.

Bill

NVScouter
01-15-2015, 05:57 PM
Mine got a new rubber pad and a 4X steel Burris I found for $60 made in the 80s. Also the weaver base is junk buy the one by H&R its much better.

I did this after running 450g cast at 1900fps on Weaver base and a now destroyed Simmons 3-9 scope. The butplate HURT, then the scope hit me in the face...with rings and base attached! New butpad and H&R base the 3-9 lasted about 60 more rounds and came apart.

I only run my 45-70 at about 1600fps now and the combo is a super fun rifle!

olafhardt
01-21-2015, 04:44 PM
I mounted a pistol scope on a 20ga barrel I got for my Handirifle. I made the base out of 3/4×1/8 steel. There are no little lumps to keep the scope from sliding so I drilled and tapped holes in the base and drilled and countersunk holes in the bottom of the rings after I took the mounthng stuff off. The whole mess is hung on the barrel with hose clamps. If this does not get me recognized as a redneck bubba I will use duck tape.

dlbarr
01-30-2015, 10:01 PM
Recently put an OLD 4x Tasco scope on my 4570 HR, redfield rings. Shoots great. I got that scope used from a friend easily 35 yrs ago..have no Idea how long he had it.

marlinman93
02-02-2015, 03:46 PM
I have an old Redfield Wideview with the TV screen optic shape, and it's in straight 6x. I think it's the straight 6x is probably the best choice all around for many older calibers with heavy bullets that usually stay under 2,000 fps. There are some great variables out there, but for fixed power a 6x is tough to beat all around.