PDA

View Full Version : PPU brand .30WCF Cases?

Farmer&shooter
12-10-2014, 01:47 AM
I am new to Cast Boolits, so steer me to the right place (or forgive me) if there is a better place to ask this question: I traded for a batch of once fired .30 WCF cases, A couple dozen have "PPU 30-30 WIN" as their headstamp. They weigh out more consistently than either R-P or Winchester, but about eight grains heavier than Win and almost ten grains heavier than R-P's. I know it is made in Serbia. Anybody have any opinions? It seems like pretty good stuff.

fred2892
12-10-2014, 04:38 AM
Very good brass. As you have found consistency in weight and dimensions can't be faulted. It can run heavier than expected in some calibres though. I have some 22 hornet that are almost 25% heavier than the RP equivalent.
I regularly use PPU .303 and 7.62x54r. With cast loads I anneal the necks every 20 reloads. My .303s are on 60+ reloads and still look and work as good as new.

GhostHawk
12-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Good stuff, consistently good brass, consistent loads of powder and bullets.

Privi Partizan has become my #1 ammo choice for some very good reasons.
It "Earned" that spot.

I have pulled apart hundred's of 7.62x54r and 7.62x39 rounds to mexican match.

In all cases I used my cast boolits. Several I weighed the powder charge for each round in a box.

With TulAmmo I have seen powder charge variations from 24 to 26.5 grains from cartridges in the same box.

With Privi Partizan I think 2 tenths of a grain was the biggest change I ever saw.

Some of those I reused the factory powder but at a lower rate as I was loading heavier cast bullets.
Some I went with light loads of IMR 4895 to tame the kicking Russian Mule named Mosin.

Nowdays I mostly keep my PPU factory loads for future needs.
They are packed away safe in a cabinet, there if I need them.
Not so many of the big 54r's a little goes a long way with them.
Quite a few of the little 39's.

Ohh and PPU's pistol loads appear to be just as good.

C. Latch
12-10-2014, 09:05 AM
I've been using PRVI/PPU ammo for almost a decade now and I view it as being as good or better brass than domestic stuff.

barrabruce
12-10-2014, 09:48 AM
The brass is good and I get excelent use form them.
I have found the odd primer pocket a bit shallow in depth on a few.
And the factory loads are good ...but the local gunshops don't like them in . pumps.
I have a few packets left but only will shoot them in winter as it gets bloody hot here in summer and those are made to shoot in the snow.
So the story goes anyway.

I seperate all my brass my head stamps.....ie ppu rem win etc etc.
Each have slightly different neck thicknessess and such.
So for accurate loads and consistancey resons I seperate them.
I loaded one shellof ppu with med to warm loads at the range one day 50x.
aprt form a little lenght trim and once full lenght sizing it kept going well till I ejected it and dinged it up on the ground.
I think got me moneies worth out of that one
hope it helps.

quasi
12-17-2014, 03:57 PM
PPU is better than any U.S. made brass, sad as it is.