PDA

View Full Version : 310

EMC45
02-15-2008, 04:02 PM
I was given one of these yesterday at work. Also came with a mold, but I described that in the mold section. Anyway I was under the impression that these things were steel or cast iron. Mine appears to be a cast aluminum of sorts. It came with 2 bullet top punches and a sizer tube for the 44 cal. mold I got with it. Any input? I know you can get dies for these right? Thanks:-D

floodgate
02-15-2008, 09:12 PM
EMC45:

They switched from steel to aluminum handles sometime in the '50's,and - except for the last few steel ones - the aluminum ones are actually better in many ways: lighter, and they have a hardened steel wear plate on the "knuckle" that presses the case head into the die, a screw-in adapter for different size cases, and the extractor hook can be adjusted to catch the case rims just right. The earlier steel ones didn't have these features, and were bored out for a particular case head size.

You can get just about any dies you need from Randy Davis at <The310shop@aol.com>; and he is also having new die sets made up for calibers Lyman has long since dropped. He also makes the special oversize ones for the .50-70. Lyman still offers the die sets in a few of the popular "Cowboy" calibers.

These are actually very good tools, and many of us still enjoy using them.

floodgate

EMC45
02-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks Floodgate!

floodgate
02-19-2008, 02:30 PM
EMC45:

I goofed typing Randy's e-address; it's <The310Shop@aol.com>; his website is also back up, at <www.The310Shop.com>.

floodgate