PDA

View Full Version : Buying A Good Powder Measure

Boomer28
12-09-2014, 05:08 PM
In the market for a high quality powder measure, I would like some opinions. Money is not a big concern although I don't want to go to crazy. All opinions are greatfully accepted. My biggest cartridges are 30-06 & 45-70. Thanks, Boomer28

Forgetful
12-09-2014, 05:10 PM
You'll probably want two automeasures to keep the pace up. My vote goes to the RCBS Chargemaster (http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html).

DougGuy
12-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Dillon 550 for a sliding style measure, Lyman 55 for a drum type. There are others, just stay away from plastic. Plastic parts = static = inconsistent charges, bridging, etc..

Boomer28
12-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Good info. I do have a RCBS Chargemaster 1500, but I don't think I want to go the double route. Want something faster for pistol plinker ammo & stuff thats not real fussy. Going to look at the Lyman & Dillon. Thanks, Boomer28 Keep the info coming.

chsparkman
12-09-2014, 05:46 PM
The best I've use are from Hornady, have three of them now. Don't use my Redding or RCBS anymore.

Boomer28
12-09-2014, 06:32 PM
To chsparkman: Wow you have 3 Hornady measures, first question comes to mind why do you need so many? I am not trying to be smart I am just curious. This grasshopper has a lot to learn. What don't you like about the Redding & RCBS? Last what is so sweet about the Hornady? To DougGuy I looked at the Dillon & could not figure it out, is it a stand alone machine, is it powered, or do push the bar back & forth like a Mec Shotgun reloader? Does the Lyman throw accuate consistant charges? Boomer28

DougGuy
12-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Boomer the Dillon mounts on a powder through expander die, so when you use your press to push a case up into the expander to bell it out, it drops a charge at the same time, OR you can manually operate it each stroke. They work good either way.

jmort
12-09-2014, 06:57 PM
I have been reading up on this for the past couple days, and I have determined to get this after reading 100s of reviews:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/466608/redding-3-powder-measure-with-universal-metering-chamber?cm_vc=ProductFinding

troyboy
12-09-2014, 08:00 PM
For on the press, using a powder through expander die the Lee pro auto disk works well. Really most measures work well with the appropriate powder and technique.

r1kk1
12-09-2014, 08:15 PM
RCBS ChargeMaster

JDS QuickMeasure

These two measures are the cats meow!

take care

r1kk1

BruMatt
12-09-2014, 08:33 PM
I have been using the Redding Match powder measure with an adaptor to mount it on my flow thru expander die (found on eBay). It has been a great set up throwing accurate loads with a variety of powders including Unique, Titegroup, Green Dot and 4227.

seagiant
12-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Hi,
The Redding is very nice used one for years now use a Saeco!

Green Frog
12-09-2014, 09:24 PM
If you want to buy the best powder measure available and one you'll never have to "move up from" just go ahead and buy the Harrell powder measure of your choice (whichever covers the range of loads you plan to reload.) They are the best out there at any price.

Froggie

DougGuy
12-09-2014, 09:27 PM
That Redding would be a good one for sure. I have a vintage Redding from about 50yrs ago saved back just for when I start loading my .308 again.

For the record, in all the years I have been reloading, I have been able to modify, deburr, swap out, clean & adjust just about all of the Lee gear that I have used, to make it work right and make it perfectly usable. The Pro Auto Disk powder measure is the single worst piece of Lee gear I have had and the single worst powder measure I have ever used. Period. I tried graphite powder, tried adjusting, finally took the *** off and tossed it in a box, with less than 100rds loaded from it. Junk.

The very best powder measure I have used, is a Lee Auto Disk, the old original one, with a CNC made billet aluminum adjustable charge bar, this one works SO WELL it ran my Dillon off the press and into a box. Sorry I cannot offer any of these bars for sale at this time, but just to show what can be done with some of this stuff to fine tune it, there is nothing wrong with the Lee, you just have to be mechanically inclined to get the best out of it.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Reloading/be617874-cdcf-4d70-a4b3-e31a73abd212_zps8c0ad552.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Reloading/be617874-cdcf-4d70-a4b3-e31a73abd212_zps8c0ad552.jpg.html)

Boomer28
12-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Had to stop for dinner, back now. You guys are going to laugh but I don't know what a flow thru expander die is. I feel a little overwhelmed you guys are head & shoulders ahead of me. I still don't understand why so many powder measures are needed. Is it one dedicated for each powder? Help a beginner out here. Thanks Boomer28

btroj
12-09-2014, 10:10 PM
http://www.harrellsprec.com

Get a premium measure and never look back. I wrote the measure settings on the powder jug and they are pretty much always spot on when I go back to them. Other than charges below 15 gr it does it all. I may get a Schuetzen measure for the smaller charges.

jmort
12-09-2014, 10:27 PM
I would read some owner reviews before you spring for a Harrell's.

freebullet
12-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Had to stop for dinner, back now. You guys are going to laugh but I don't know what a flow thru expander die is. I feel a little overwhelmed you guys are head & shoulders ahead of me. I still don't understand why so many powder measures are needed. Is it one dedicated for each powder? Help a beginner out here. Thanks Boomer28

rifle and pistol. Having a bunch prevents wasting time changing drums. Having more around allows easier setup for special reloading projects. In addition if one breaks a spare is nice.

btroj
12-09-2014, 10:44 PM
I would read some owner reviews before you spring for a Harrell's.

I give mine a resounding 2 thumbs up

DougGuy
12-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Boomer I don't know how often you change up your setups, many of us like to get a turret or a tool head and set it up for one specific caliber, so we change out the shell holder and the turret and we can be off and running with a different caliber in a matter of minutes. For this, you might want to invest in a powder measure for each tool head, I have 3 setups that I use, .44 Magnum, .45 Colt, and .45 ACP each one has the dies sitting in a turret already adjusted, and a powder measure sitting on top of the powder through expander die.

In a way, it's almost like creating a bookmark, you can load and then say "Well, I was loading xxx grain boolit in .44 Magnum, and I was throwing xx.x grains of xxx powder," and all your dies and stuff will be set for that load. Then you do the same with other calibers so you can leave things set like they were. It makes less repetitive motion, and less chance you will forget to adjust the powder measure, or forget it has the wrong powder in it for .44 Magnum since you were just loading .45 ACP. It simplifies things for the reloader and it can also make things a LOT safer when establishing your own personal reloading techniques.

I don't think you can spend too much money on a powder measure. Your powder measure and your scale are the two most critical pieces of reloading gear you will own. Don't scrimp here, and don't limit yourself to just one good one. These are tools, and a man cannot do any better work than the tools he has to work with.

dragon813gt
12-09-2014, 11:41 PM
I have had zero issues w/ a Lee Pro Auto Disk as long as it's not a really find ball powder like H110. That powder leaks to much. But for plinking pistol rounds it works great. I only use ball powders in it so it meters like water and all charges are spot on. I've done no work to it as it's worked out of the box and thousands of rounds later it's still going. For rifle or specific loads I use a Chargemaster. Can't go back to an off press powder measure after using it.

wv109323
12-10-2014, 12:11 AM
Redding is top notch. I would want one that is threaded for the 7/8 X 14 to use a stand. The RCBS Uniflow with the micro-adjustment is a good choice.

Boomer28
12-10-2014, 10:48 AM
DougGuy, Your explanation was very well done, I really appreciate the time you took to write that. The only other thing is the flow thru expander die, is that the die that expands the neck back out to the boolit diameter. And what you guys are doing is drilling a hole thru the expander so the powder charge can be dumpted thru it as you expand the neck. This is saving a hole step. I wonder why the reloading company's don't do it as an option. Sounds like it would be great. Again Thanks To All, Boomer28

Wayne Smith
12-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Flow through expander dies have been available since progressive presses became popular. I don't use one because I don't use a progressive. There are a lot of specific application pieces that apply and are made specifically for the progressive presses that I don't use. Progressives are really a whole different world and, for some or many, are necessary. Not for me.

Horse Knuckle
12-10-2014, 03:22 PM
http://www.harrellsprec.com

Get a premium measure and never look back. I wrote the measure settings on the powder jug and they are pretty much always spot on when I go back to them. Other than charges below 15 gr it does it all. I may get a Schuetzen measure for the smaller charges.

Something to think about...

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar63.htm

OuchHot!
12-10-2014, 03:48 PM
My experience comparing a Harrell to a redding mirrored the report above. The Harrell has NO backlash and you just dial to the volume that you want. The redding will do the same if you approach the setting from the same direction but is not as precise in the volume readout. The jds works very well. The other measures that I have (ohaus duo-measure, hornady and so on) work almost as well as my redding setup. The jds words very well! Nowadays, I use a measure to throw 90% of the final charge and the RCBS automated measure to top up. It is fast enough for me.

DougGuy
12-10-2014, 04:05 PM
DougGuy, Your explanation was very well done, I really appreciate the time you took to write that. The only other thing is the flow thru expander die, is that the die that expands the neck back out to the boolit diameter. And what you guys are doing is drilling a hole thru the expander so the powder charge can be dumpted thru it as you expand the neck. This is saving a hole step. I wonder why the reloading company's don't do it as an option. Sounds like it would be great. Again Thanks To All, Boomer28

Powder thru expander dies are standard equip on a progresive press for the most part. Lee, Dillon, and I think others already make powder thru dies. This is basically for bulk production of pistol ammo, (and some short rifle ammo) which as you mentioned takes a whole step out of the process. Mostly, the sliding bar or disk measures are best suited for this job.

For most rifle ammo, you would use a measure on a stand high enough to get your hand and the empty case under the drop tube, maybe with a funnel sitting on top of the case, and you would operate the measure, weigh the case, trickle it to final weight, set a boolit on the mouth and set that case aside, charge another case, etc, so this is why you would use a drum type measure with a micrometer style adjustment.

country gent
12-10-2014, 05:07 PM
I have 2 harrel;s a standard and a schutzen model, an rcbs uniflow thats been rebuilt / modified, a redding br model, a Belding and Mull, several dillons measures, and a couple others. I have used most at one time or another, The dillons are ment for being used in a press with the above mentioned powder thru die, one reason for thier accuracy is the consistent operation being ran with the press. They work good and are accurate, mine with stick powders will occasionally vary slightly. The belding and Mull was made in the late 40s early 50s and is very accurate with most powders ( ive never raan fine balls or pistol powders in it though). very accurate clamps to a shelf face. Draw back is this measure is a 2 hand operation to throw charges. Mine has a smaller volumne hopper also. All metal construction, cast iron, brass and aluminum with a glass window. The redding BR is a nice measure accurate when operated consitently. It has a michrometer adjustment that gets you very close but should be checked. Nice sized plastic hopper and casti iron body. Smooth operating. The uniflow has been reworked to make it better standard is easily adjustable but its trial and error adjustment, 2 diffrent drum sizes for large or small charges. your "average" measure in operation and accuracy charges of rifle powder should be checked. I re worked mine Housing was jig ground to round straight and trye with very smooth finish, sides were ground square and parrellel to bore. A new drum made up and ground round and fitted with .0005 clearence to housing sides fitted to +.002 of housing width. side plates fitted to limit sideplay. An rcbs micrometer adjustment added. Hopper has a baffle added. Much better accuracy and much smoother operation. Now for the harrels they are superb measures for me, work great with all the powders I have ised in them. The "click" adjustments are accurate and repeatable, number of clicks per revolution can be set to what you want. The measures are high quality machining and desighn. Bearing operations very smooth easy operating. Clicks are finer on the smaller measure but both are easy to set. Removable hopper or optional adaptor for powder cans. clamp on the front of a shelf face for operation. Repatable settings in that XX clicks open is always XX grains. Alot depends on the powders you want to use and charge wieghts being thrown. Ball powders meter easier than flakes, flakes and balls easier than sticks. Heavy charges may show more variences and want to bridge more than light charges of stick powder. Ball powders hardly ever stick or bridge, flakes also dont seem prone to this. Learning to consistently operate the measure ( speed force and stroke) makes a big improvement with consistency. Set you measure up with chosen powder and throw 100 charges write each one down and see what the easure will actual do.

dikman
12-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Boomer, I realise how overwhelming all this can be at first, being new to this myself. Spend some time looking at all the stuff on the Lee Precision website, it helps to visualise some of the processes when you can see the bits and pieces involved (and how they fit together), and also use youtube - there are lots of videos on using this stuff.

rbt50
12-10-2014, 06:55 PM
I have tried them all. the only one I use now is the one by harrell

texassako
12-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Don't be afraid of a used measure, especially old, forgotten ones that look clean and free of abuse. I have picked up in the last 6 months a Redding Master 2nd gen, a Saeco like seagiant recommended above(needed a cap), and a Pacific Standard measure(Hornady bought them out) for less than $30 on fleabay. I have to admit, the Saeco is now my favorite measure.

btroj
12-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Something to think about...

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar63.htm

I am far less concerned with what an Internet junkie thinks than I am with what the accuracy crowd uses. The Harrell's measures are often seen on the bench of high power, long range, and BR shooters. Since those shooters demand equipment that gives uniform charges and repeatability I think I will listen to them. Wait, that is why I bought mine a decade ago.

dragon813gt
12-10-2014, 09:33 PM
I am far less concerned with what an Internet junkie thinks than I am with what the accuracy crowd uses. The Harrell's measures are often seen on the bench of high power, long range, and BR shooters. Since those shooters demand equipment that gives uniform charges and repeatability I think I will listen to them. Wait, that is why I bought mine a decade ago.

Wait, so you're saying you've used it and have a different opinion? That's impossible ;)

I'm waiting for Lee's two new powder measures to be released next year. Cast iron bodies w/ brass internals sounds like a winner. But we will see when I buy them.

Horse Knuckle
12-11-2014, 06:25 AM

You are absolutely correct. They (high power, long range, and BR shooters) do not, nor do I, weight each powder charge for exactness. Because the load data is based on volume of powder and not weight, especially when precision shooting is involved . I am probably confused, but that may have been the point of the article.

robg
12-11-2014, 06:49 AM
whats wrong with lyman 55? mines worked well since82

Petrol & Powder
12-11-2014, 08:53 AM
The Redding is top notch.

str8wal
12-11-2014, 10:58 AM
whats wrong with lyman 55? mines worked well since82

Not a dang thing, I have 5 of them! They work with anything, even Varget.

A pause for the COZ
12-11-2014, 11:26 AM
I have done quite a bit of experimentation with the measures I had on hand. 1st thing I learned.
Your not going to find one measure that does all the powders well. My issue was flake powder ( Unique and similar)
I found that just about any measure can drop ball powder accurately. So that leaves. Flake and extruded ( stick ).

Be live it or not. The best all around measure I have is the LEE Perfect Powder measure. Notice I did not say easiest?
There is a steep learning curve to figuring out the way it likes to be operated for each different powder type.
And it is not ready out of the box. You need to tweek it and then the individual one may still not work.
I have one thats tweeked and I have learned what it likes. Can pop less that a 20th of a grain error.
I use it mainly for A5744 loads for my SKS. I can pound them out and not have to trickle the Stick powder.
The Lee wont cut the powder. Never going to sell it EVER.

My main Measure is a Couple RCBS UniFlows. For me they are top notch performers with flake powder.
They suck with stick powder. Its more like a coffee grinder than a measure.
But most of my pistol loads and many of my Cast Boolit rifle loads use flake powders.
So it gets used the most.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8790_zpsc2711ea5.jpg

I like them so much I rigged a double stand so I dont have to readjust the measure so much.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9603_zpsf84bca8a.jpg

On my Honady LNL Ap I use the Hornady measure and it seems to be just as good as the Uniflows with flake.
When I run 45 acp on the LNL I use a LEE auto disk pro.
So I guess my opinion is. " He who dies with the most powder measures wins"

Forgetful
12-11-2014, 11:27 AM
OP asks for advice on a measure but then buys a thrower. I didn't want to have to buy automeasures, but I've been looking at them.. I get around it by using a thrower to ballpark a load, and then put it in a 505 (I should have got the 10-10!) and get it dead-on. The throwers only seem to be accurate to about a grain, give or take. Manual scales are accurate to 0.05 grain, or better, with a keen eye.

A pause for the COZ
12-11-2014, 11:51 AM
I found a way around the Keen eye issue and the 505 also a good use for all the old computer junk I have around.
USB cam!!! Now I can see what I am doing.
This is from before I learned my PPM can do these loads better.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8795_zps9e5268e3.jpg

jsizemore
12-11-2014, 01:42 PM
This is the very best especially with extruded powder:

http://www.neiljones.com/html/measure.html

They hold the tolerances so close that most of the competitive shooters I was around exchanged load data in clicks of their Neil Jones measures.

But I own Harrell's Premium and Shutzen/Pistol powder measures to cover everything. I also have a Belding & Mull for hunting loads to get close and trickle up.

Forgetful
12-11-2014, 01:46 PM
I found a way around the Keen eye issue and the 505 also a good use for all the old computer junk I have around.
USB cam!!! Now I can see what I am doing.
This is from before I learned my PPM can do these loads better.

You could make that rig more accurate by hotgluing a 1/2" steel wire, 24gauge or so, to the indicator. A needle would work too. Balance the scale with a little hot glue on the other side.. trim to fit.

Dr.S
12-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Hi,
The Redding is very nice used one for years now use a Saeco!

I feel the same way,Saeco's are smooth and the best I've used so far.
If you see one on ebay jump on it.

dikman
12-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Coz, I like it - powder cam!:lol:

quickshot
12-11-2014, 07:38 PM
For my pistol stuff I use the Pro Auto disk measures. I have a uniflow and a lyman 55 for the rifle stuff. @a pause for the COZ:: I LOVE that dual measure setup!!

str8wal
12-11-2014, 08:31 PM
The throwers only seem to be accurate to about a grain, give or take.

Not sure what you're using but my 55's drop most powders right on the nut, within a half of a tenth anyway, every time. I generally check every tenth drop or so, but its always right there.

r1kk1
12-11-2014, 08:43 PM
The throwers only seem to be accurate to about a grain, give or take. Manual scales are accurate to 0.05 grain, or better, with a keen eye.

I don't own a measure that leaks or throws that loose to a grain. Ball or flake, Dillons throw to the tenth. JDS QM will do that with ball, stick or flake. I don't own any other measure besides the ChargeMaster and that's dead on or within a tenth.

Take care

r1kk1

Dr.S
12-12-2014, 07:18 PM
I don't own a measure that leaks or throws that loose to a grain. Ball or flake, Dillons throw to the tenth. JDS QM will do that with ball, stick or flake. I don't own any other measure besides the ChargeMaster and that's dead on or within a tenth.

Take care

r1kk1
you could prolly be that far off with dippers ..maybe.

rfd
12-19-2014, 01:47 PM
i'd never trust any powder measure, no matter how expensive, and i've tried more than a few in the $300-$500 price range. i use 4 lee precisions, one for each powder flavor, smokeless and black (for bpcr only). they're set to throw a powder charge that gets me close, but no cigar. i want precise loads, and that means scaling every throw and trickling to hit the mark. i use digital and analog scales. i throw and weigh for .45acp and .45-70 alike. the only time i'll rely on a volume thrown charge without scaling is for my flintlocks. ymmv.

Forgetful
12-19-2014, 02:35 PM
i'd never trust any powder measure, no matter how expensive, and i've tried more than a few in the $300-$500 price range. i use 4 lee precisions, one for each powder flavor, smokeless and black (for bpcr only). they're set to throw a powder charge that gets me close, but no cigar. i want precise loads, and that means scaling every throw and trickling to hit the mark. i use digital and analog scales. i throw and weigh for .45acp and .45-70 alike. the only time i'll rely on a volume thrown charge without scaling is for my flintlocks. ymmv.

yeah, I throw and weigh, too. Throwers are good enough for plinking or hunting, but not when you demand the tightest groups.

Geezer in NH
12-19-2014, 06:45 PM
I have been reading up on this for the past couple days, and I have determined to get this after reading 100s of reviews:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/466608/redding-3-powder-measure-with-universal-metering-chamber?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Bought mine in 1970 been happy with it since

too many things
12-19-2014, 06:54 PM
had to know where this would go
the Lyman 55 is best out there or the others wouldn't keep changing theirs to keep up
the 55 has been around for 50 + yrs and it still works

country gent
12-19-2014, 07:23 PM
One of the better measures made was the Culiver conversion, and it was a lymann 55 that was reworked. You almost never see a culiver conversion for sale as the guys who have them keep them. I use several measures and all do as expected pretty much. One thing I like with the harrels and some others is the adapter that allos powder bottles to screw on in place of a hopper. When ready to change over or done remove measure tip upside down and shake a few times. unscrew bottle work drum a few times over bottle and put lid back on can.

floydboy
12-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Not that I'm an expert on measures and I have never had an expensive measure but my Saecos are the smoothest, tightest most fun to use. The are accurate but I wouldn't say that much more than my others. They are dedicated to my most used rifle loads. I have a belding and mull I use some mainly because I think it's neat. I like making dedicated charge tubes so it's fun to tinker with. Have an old rebuilt Lyman 55 I use for working up loads because it's easy to adjust and dump powder from. These are all accurate and fun to use. I have a special use for all of them and they fill the need. I have a Dillon with two measures which work great but not much fun to use. I load pistol ammo on the Dillon because I don't like loading for pistols one at a time. The worst measure I've had and didn't like to use is the RCBS. I consider myself an RCBS customer and most of my stuff is RCBS but I never did like their measures. I think most of us base our favorites more on how they look, feel when using, ease of use like dumping powder more than how accurate they are because most will do a very adequate job of throwing consistent accurate charges. Operators have a lot to do with being consistent. I have never found a moderately priced measure that likes the long grain IMR powders.

I guess where I'm going with all this rambling is there are a lot of moderately priced measures out there that do a very good job. It's hard to single one out as the best. Get an affordable one so you'll have more money to buy more. Measures and presses are fun to collect and display.

Floyd

str8wal
12-19-2014, 11:35 PM
i use digital and analog scales

A Lyman 55 will easily throw most powders within the error margin of a digital scale.

rfd
12-20-2014, 08:04 AM
A Lyman 55 will easily throw most powders within the error margin of a digital scale.

no, it will not. i've proven this to myself and others on more than one occasion - not even close to .1 grain, and my two digitals are good to .02 grain.

there is no powder measure (volume throw) that can match a good scale (mass weight), particularly a good digital scale.

there's nothing wrong with throwing powder. it all depends on the level of accuracy required for the task at hand. if you want top precision, it Must be scaling over throwing. it is what it is.

Horse Knuckle
12-20-2014, 09:01 AM
no, it will not. i've proven this to myself and others on more than one occasion - not even close to .1 grain, and my two digitals are good to .02 grain.

there is no powder measure (volume throw) that can match a good scale (mass weight), particularly a good digital scale.

there's nothing wrong with throwing powder. it all depends on the level of accuracy required for the task at hand. if you want top precision, it Must be scaling over throwing. it is what it is.

Yep, some folks here think a Harrell's is all you need for the most precise applications, because all the BR shooters use them. It simply comes down to the weight of a charge and the only method to achieve that goal......wait for it........is to actually weight it......

dragon813gt
12-20-2014, 09:18 AM
So BR shooting is not the most precise shooting you can do? They don't get hung up on if it's the same charge down to .000000001 grains because it doesn't matter. I loaded up 100 rounds w/ the Lee PAD last weekend. Decided to weigh every charge after it was thrown. All of them were 4.2 grains. I'm happy w/ that performance.

str8wal
12-20-2014, 10:44 AM

I check every 10th throw or so and they always make weight. Digital scales claim to guarantee accuracy to within .1 grain only, although some may be better than others. I use a beam scale and verify with check weights. I won't deny that a PERFECT scale will outperform a dropper, but most digital scales aren't perfect. I have loads measured to the half of a tenth and my 55's giterdun, and if off by a quarter of a tenth would basically be within your own .02 margin of error.

MattOrgan
12-20-2014, 11:25 AM
I've found I need more than one measure and after 40 years I've settled on four. My original Redding (ball powder), RCBS Little Dandy, a set of Lee Dippers, and the absolute best for extruded powders, the JDS Quick Measure. After getting used to the tubes and required powder funnels it is the easiest and fastest to use, extremely accurate, never cuts powder grains. No rotary drum measure can compare. This doesn't include the measures on my Dillon machines but that's a seperate issue. I'm still considering a JDS conversion for these so I can load extruded powder progressively. I keep an ancient Lyman around because it is a marvelous piece of engineering. Evening thing else has gone down the road.

lightman
12-20-2014, 12:44 PM
I have owned several and used several others belonging to others. They all work good enough to get the job done. Herters, C-H, Lyman, RCBS, Dillon, and Redding all make a good measure. And a few others do too! They all require you to develop a technique or rhythm to get consistent charges. Where the Neil Jones and Harrells shine is in the ability to return to the same setting, time after time. Even the better micrometer types won't do this as well as the Culver type. My Harrells is way smoother than my Uniflow, but its not any more accurate.

Dr.S
12-21-2014, 01:16 AM
had to know where this would go
the Lyman 55 is best out there or the others wouldn't keep changing theirs to keep up
the 55 has been around for 50 + yrs and it still works
I started with a Lee PPm,got rid of it ,got a L55 and it works fine.Got a Saeco and won't use any of the other 8 measures I have. The micro adjustable saeco is just better in every way.
I'm going to start selling off the others and downsize.The search is over.

MtGun44
12-24-2014, 04:36 PM
I have to shake my head at folks that insist that weighing charges is "required if you
really care about precision" or some such nonsense.

All the benchrest records in the last few decades have been set with THROWN charges,
not weighed, and you can bet your last dollar that a benchrest guy cares not one whit
for the cost or inconvenience of something - ONLY what makes groups smaller. Weighing
charges does NOT make groups smaller, so they do not do it.

Most use hand built, smooth, wonderful, eye-candy measures - often home-made, and a lot
use Harrels. But they do not weigh charges, and several have told me that weighing
charges is WORSE than volume throwing because powder gains and loses moisture but has
the same volume. No chance I would ever be able to tell the difference with my guns, and
I do use a Chargmaster a lot for match loads, which weighs them. But to say weighing is
the best and volume throwers are only used by folks "not interested in maximum precision"
is baloney.

On my future list is to shoot a pair of 10 shot groups at 200 yds with thrown and weighed
charges in my most accurate rifles to see if I can tell any difference. Not at the top of the
list, yet. But for the guys that REALLY KNOW, they are all throwing not weighing.

Bill

rfd
12-24-2014, 07:46 PM
and i have to shake my head at most - but not all - that charge strictly via a powder measure. you've really got to trust those throws, and while some can get a measure to do so to a fair degree (the br folks, for the most part, those that really know what they're doing), i believe that most will simply not. they're better off scaling.

the hygroscopic nature of powders is there whether you charge by volume or weight, it's not an issue for the most part because whether throwing or scaling the moisture content will be the same, for the most part. just how much moisture by weight? imho, no where near enuf to be concerned about with either method of charging a case.

i like simple, no-brainer, extremely predictable case charging, and i get that repeatedly by manually weight scaling with digital .02 grain scales.

it's not better nor worse that any other method *that works*, but what's most important to me are the results of that scaling process.

"better tasting or less filling?" i believe most folks will do better by scaling. it's all good one way or another as long as the results are at least good.

to each their own. ymmv.