PDA

View Full Version : S & W 9mm Shield Owners/Shooters who cast and shoot reloads - a question

bedbugbilly
12-09-2014, 04:27 PM
I don't know how many 9mm S & W Shield owners there are on here who cast and reload for their Shields but figured this was the area to post in.

I currently cast and reload both the Lee 356-120 TC boolit and the Lyman 359242 121 gr RN for my Ruger SR9 - both over 3.5 - 3.6 gr of Bulls Eye. Both the TC and the RN designs seem to shoot very well and cycle in the SR9 just fine - both equally well.

I'm thinking about getting 9mm Shield to switch off to once in a while for my CCW (I normally carry a Smith Model 36).

I know every pistol has their "likes and dislikes" as far as what it eats. While I'd carry commercial loaded for SD rounds - I'm interested in what seems to work well in your Shields as far as cast reloads for general range practice? Or, do RN and TC both seem to work well? I primarily load my pistol cartridges with Bulls Eye and wold like to stick with that for a Shield if I get one.

I'd appreciate hearing from owners of the 9mm Shield as far as what seems to work best in theirs - RN or TC profiles and what you are loading over as far as dependable cycling?

I have pretty much narrowed my selection down to the 9mm Shield based on size of the pistol, the 9mm which I'm familiar with and the good reviews I've read. Thanks for any input on your experiences as far as the Shield and reloads - greatly appreciate it.

Bohica793
12-09-2014, 05:14 PM
I currently cast and load Mihec's 359-125 (FN and HP) and the RCBS 9mm-147 TC in my Shield. I size both to .358. I have loaded and shot both with Bullseye, 231, HP-38 and, in the case of the 147, Blue Dot. The Shield is as happy as a fat boy with a bag of M&Ms with everything I have fed it.

DLCTEX
12-09-2014, 05:50 PM
I am loading the Lee 120 gr. over red dot and find it very accurate.

gunsbrad
12-10-2014, 08:18 AM
lee 120tc and mihec hp on a regular basis. It has fed several others just fine. You can't beat those 4 and 6 cav moulds for making lots o bullet though. Powders? whatever I can find. I used to shoot a lot of titegroup and power pistol. Now its whatever I can get my hands on. They all work well. Feeds all the jword boolits I have put in her too. Good gun.
Brad Hurt

bedbugbilly
12-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Thanks all - greatly appreciate the information.

My purpose for asking is that I'm in the process of loading 9mm to take with me to AZ for range practice during the winter. Both the Lee 120TC and the Lyman 121 RN work well in my SR9 but if the Shield preferred one over the other, then I'd load those. I haven't purchased the Shield yet but am planning on trying to pick one up soon. I know some pistols can be "finicky" as far as what they eat but it sounds like the Shield likes it all.

I had a Bersa Thunder CC 380 one time that I bought used - it ate anything but I had to trade it back in as the previous owner had done "trigger work" - going form DA in to SA, the SA trigger pull was waaaaaay to light for a SD carry. I had a friend that had the identical pistol and his was real finicky on what it liked as far as ammo.

Sounds like either of what I have loaded up in the 9mm should work fine in the Shield. I like the BE in the 9mm but do have Red Dot as well as some 700X as well. Fortunately, I was able to find some BE and RD a couple of months ago but it's still kind of iffy as to what is on the shelf and when you hit the store. Not adverse to trying other powders though as that's the fun of all this reloading!

Thanks again - greatly appreciate you input.

Lefty Red
12-12-2014, 07:55 AM
My EDC is a G26, well actually the majority of my bottom feeders are Glock platforms, and my co worker (four actually) carry the Shield in 9mm. I cast and load the Lee 2R round nose 9mm bullet and tumble lube. I have been using WW Auto Comp lately because its what I can get and its clean burning. All the Shields and the Glocks like it. And at <$400, I might get one.

Jerry

salvadore
12-13-2014, 02:47 PM
I shoot Lyman's 358212 147 gr RN with 3.2grains of BE. Haven't benched it yet, but aluminum cans seem to respond vigorously.

Jal5
01-05-2015, 03:03 PM
I know this is an older post but thought I could contribute. My shield works well with the Lee 358125 RF with Bullseye and an older RCBS mold of 115 RN also over Bullseye. Both work equally well for me. Joe