PDA

View Full Version : Push through sizer idea

btroj
12-07-2014, 11:13 PM
I have been busy making Lee type push thru sizers on my new lathe. One of the things that was driving me nuts was boring out the top to let bullets move freely after passing they the short sizing section. I decided there had to be a better way.

Here is what I came up with.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/imagejpg1_zps56e20bdb.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/imagejpg1_zps56e20bdb.jpg.html)

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/imagejpg3_zpsb0c74fee.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/imagejpg3_zpsb0c74fee.jpg.html)

The body is simple a threaded section to install in the press and bored out to 5/8. The actual sizing is done by a short section that is a snug fit in the body and held in place by a set screw. The set screw is merely to prevent the sizing section from fallng out. The force of sizing is taken up by the larger bottom section pressing against the die body.

I like the easy of making the shorter sizing sections. They require less stock, less time, and are already the right length for a tapered lead in and a short sizing section.

Thos body will be replaced by one fully threaded on top. This one requires me to remove the sizing section and set screw, screw into press, then replace the set screw and sizing section. By fully threading the top I could simply install from the underside of the press turret.

Any comments or suggestions?

rosewood
12-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Nice. You could make inserts for various sizes with a simple change. Should make it cheaper for various calibers/sizes.

Sweetpea
12-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Brad, that looks handy!

I think the easiest option would be to lengthen the section of die body enough that you could get to the set screw from the bottom.

Just index the set screw so that you have access, and easy change over should happen.

Bzcraig
12-07-2014, 11:43 PM
Sure seems like a better idea to me.

btroj
12-07-2014, 11:53 PM
Idea wasn't entirely mine. I took a comment from BaBore who mentioned in an old thread that he made his sizers to use an insert. Made me think of a way to make them using my minimal skill set.

cbrick
12-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Seems like a good idea, one die body & much easier, quicker to make sizing inserts. Only thing I could think of is to make sure the insert is a snug enough fit the set screw doesn't push it off center.

Rick

btroj
12-08-2014, 12:05 AM
The sizing portion on this one is a few thou smaller than ideal. Even if it is a bit off center the bullet will find center as the pusher is flat and the bullet can slide. Think of an off center hole in a Star with a flat punch. Bullet will center in the hole even if hole is .005 off center.

This is is the biggest advantage of nose first sizing. The bullet self centers rather than being held inline by a nose punch.

geargnasher
12-08-2014, 12:22 AM
I likes.

Gear

btroj
12-08-2014, 12:38 AM
No orders. I have no desire to get into a commercial setting. My time is worth too much. It also stops being fun when it is something that has to be done.

I will be making one for 1shirt, he is my FIL and I want to see what he thinks.

leadman
12-08-2014, 02:47 AM
At one time I used a large press to install valve guides, valve seat, etc for Cummins Diesel engines. I found that it was good to back off the ram slightly after the part had seated so the ram could move to center easily with no side strain on it or the part.
So once the boolit is started in the die just lower the ram to take the pressure off then raise it and push the boolit thru.

zuke
12-08-2014, 07:57 AM
I like it, and just might copy it.

rosewood
12-08-2014, 08:21 AM
No orders. I have no desire to get into a commercial setting. My time is worth too much.

Dang, such a tease.

country gent
12-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Maybe thread the body and insert then turn shoulder to fit thru threads. Could be a straight dia with holes for a pin to tighten and remove

dragon813gt
12-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Doesn't look like enough metal to make it happen. But if the insert was threaded and the body threaded to accept it that would be the ticket. Set screws are always a pain.

Nueces
12-08-2014, 01:23 PM
At one time I used a large press to install valve guides, valve seat, etc for Cummins Diesel engines. I found that it was good to back off the ram slightly after the part had seated so the ram could move to center easily with no side strain on it or the part.
So once the boolit is started in the die just lower the ram to take the pressure off then raise it and push the boolit thru.

This is good practice, you're a fellow who listens to his tools. I do the same double stroke when seating boolits with a Hornady sleeve die.

texassako
12-08-2014, 03:30 PM
I like it, swappable inserts and just one threaded body. How about a groove for the set screw? It would keep it from moving side to side but still lock it in vertically. Here is a picture of what I am talking about, but on a Lyman Multi-expand die. Makes it where you don't need to worry to much about the OD of the insert as well.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Ben did something like that for sizing the Nose of a boolit.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?225875-Is-your-nose-too-big&highlight=

country gent
12-08-2014, 03:58 PM
I use a Mecham push thru lube sizer for my BPCR bullets in an RCBS rockchucker press. The insert are threaded into the top and bodys are caliber specific to pre alighn them with the die. The actual sizer is threaded into the top and a lube pump sits around the body. Its a great system and works very well. Base dia of a 7/8 14 thread ios probably around .800 so a .800 dia head ( or sllightly under that) and a 5/8 18 thread shank to lock it in might be thin on 500 caliber bullets but should work on 45 down.

RED333
12-08-2014, 08:17 PM
No orders. I have no desire to get into a commercial setting. My time is worth too much. It also stops being fun when it is something that has to be done.

I will be making one for 1shirt, he is my FIL and I want to see what he thinks.

Adopt me, I could be your son, then you could make me a few as I would be family.LOL
Nice work, you are getting the hang of that new lathe.

leeggen
12-08-2014, 09:51 PM
I want to see his ballpean hammer he made on the lathe first. Everyone seems to make one on their new lathe.
Good job btroj if by chance the bushing loosens in the holderyou could do a pocket in the collet for the setscrew to land in.
Have fun on the lathe, it is unlimited as to what you can do on one.
CD

country gent
12-08-2014, 10:29 PM
I would make a batch of 8 ounce soft brass hammers occassionaly at work. Was a pain everybody wanted one no one wanted to help with the work. I would turn 8-10 heads up lay out them mill flats then the handle socket. The handle socket is a pain for wood hamndles as your working with a tapered end mill 3* from bottom up half way and 5* from top down half ways so when wedges are driven in it pulls up tight and stays tight. Theres alot of ways to mahe this sizer happen. Interupted threads would be neat as quarter turn would release and 1/4 turn would lock. A [pin set up with cut cams in the body also would allow this quick action changes. A nose cap could be used to lock the insert in place also. Body could be cut tapered to hold lyman rcbs H&I die bodiessaving making the insert all together. The mindand skill are the only limits

btroj
12-08-2014, 11:09 PM
No hammers made. None in the works either.

I used a set screw as it was well within my abilities. I thought of threading the insert but worried about the already thin walls. All that is needed is a method of holding the weight of the insert. All forces from sizing push the insert into the body, only gravity pulls it out.

The lathe has opened a whole new world of ideas. I am learning how to make things work. I was actually a bit worried when I got it abput how steep the learning curve might be. I shouldn't have worried so much. I can see where the lathe is a lot like casting, it takes the right mind set to get the best out of it. Machine tools are definitely not for everyone.

btroj
12-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Made another body and insert today. Took a few comments from others and some observations by me and made the idea better.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/Mobile%20Uploads/9B99CBC8-77B6-41DC-AE81-FE82B8F12A2F_zpseemtsaa9.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9B99CBC8-77B6-41DC-AE81-FE82B8F12A2F_zpseemtsaa9.jpg.html)

Rick commented on making sure the insert didn't tilt and size bullets crooked. This photo shows how snug the insert fits. This one is snug enough I can't feel it move when the set screw is tightened.

The first one was difficult to get the set screwed started properly as it was n the threads for the press. I decided it would be better to remove the threads from the region with the set screw to make it easier to get things right.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/Mobile%20Uploads/13B523DA-98BE-4C9A-BDF1-FB64449B39FC_zpsndzhetwi.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/Mobile%20Uploads/13B523DA-98BE-4C9A-BDF1-FB64449B39FC_zpsndzhetwi.jpg.html)

I also threaded the entire body so it can be inserted from the bottom of the press if you wanted to keep the insert in place.

I like this concept and will be making more inserts for different size bullets. The inserts are far faster to make than a full size die. They also require far less material and take up less space in storage.

country gent
12-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Maybe dedicate one of the newer presses with the 1 1/2 14 threads to this project. Alot of the new presses have a bushing for 7/8 14 dies. Remove the bushing and make one body for the press and insert to fit the bigger body

freebullet
12-12-2014, 07:53 PM
That's lookin great btroj! Color me envious.

btroj
12-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Maybe dedicate one of the newer presses with the 1 1/2 14 threads to this project. Alot of the new presses have a bushing for 7/8 14 dies. Remove the bushing and make one body for the press and insert to fit the bigger body

I have an RCBS Rockchucker I thought of using that way. Only issue is that I only have room for a single press on my bench.

cbrick
12-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Lookin good! Even your threads are looking much better.

Make sure you don't crank on the set screw enough to make the sizing insert oval shaped. ;)

Rick

slughammer
12-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Here is how I made mine. Drilled an old die out to .562. Then used a boring bar to counterbore the end to .625 dia x .80 deep. Bushings are .625 drill rod X 1.0 long. When I counterbored the die to .625 the plan was to turn a groove into the bushings and use O-rings for retention (or duct tape without a groove). This one turned out close enough that it’s pretty much a friction fit. (I’ll put those O-ring grooves in when I get a roundtuit)

Here it is with one bushing installed and a second sitting there

btroj
12-12-2014, 08:21 PM
I hadn't thought of using an O-ring. That would be a better solution in many ways.

I drilled the body clear thru as a boring bar is something I haven't yet purchases or made: that is something I need to change soon.

dtknowles
12-13-2014, 01:42 AM
I hadn't thought of using an O-ring. That would be a better solution in many ways.

I drilled the body clear thru as a boring bar is something I haven't yet purchases or made: that is something I need to change soon.

I just got some Lyman/rcbs top punches from the professor and they had O-rings for retention. I have not used them yet but I am sure they will do the job since I had been sticking them in with sticky lube.

Tim

freebullet
12-13-2014, 04:07 AM
I have an RCBS Rockchucker I thought of using that way. Only issue is that I only have room for a single press on my bench.

You'd think a guy with freshly honed machining skills could whip up a quick release mount so he could mount different presses with the throw of a lever. Kind of like the lee setup except sturdy and nice.

The o rings a good idea. The wft trimmer with interchangeable inserts uses 2 o rings on the inserts.

MUSTANG
12-13-2014, 06:09 PM
A threaded insert would be useful similar to the old Lee Speed Die's (Bottom of pic - knurled area is the threaded insert).

I have used these for 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP for many years. Lee does not seem to make them any more. Although I have not had problems with my dies despite many 10's of thousands of rounds through each; it may be the die wall was too thin for holding the Carbide sizing insert as postulated in earlier posts.

zuke
12-13-2014, 09:01 PM
What about using magnet's to hold them together?

dtknowles
12-13-2014, 10:03 PM
What about using magnet's to hold them together?

Interesting idea. I have some small powerful magnets. I used to use them to hold hatches and canopies on my model airplanes. For that applications I glued the magnets on each part with opposing poles but if the die is steel the magnets would only need to be on the holder. Not sure if the is enough meat to install them.

Tim

btroj
12-13-2014, 10:16 PM
A properly sized round magnet with a center hole could easily be glued to the top on the insert.

Dang guys, nice ideas. I'm impressed.

freebullet
12-14-2014, 02:56 AM
If the insert comes against the magnet the force of sizing boolits would probably crack the magnet. You could drill the insert to inset a small magnet in the end while not putting pressure on the magnet.