PDA

View Full Version : Flatline Ops Speed Sight for Glocks

Love Life
12-07-2014, 09:52 PM
This review will cover a really good set of sights that I have been shooting with for the last 3 months.

About 4 months back I picked up a Gen4 Glock 21 pistol. The purpose of this pistol was to have a full size, large capacity, hard hitting combat gun. I know, I know. I really hate to apply the term “Combat” to anything not really involved in combat, but I feel that it is the best term for now. I also call it my gun for bringing the ruckus. After shooting the gun with factory sights for a bit, I decided I wanted a more visible set of sights that were also night sights.

With that in mind I headed to the Googlemobile and typed in “Highly visible sights for Glocks.” And hit the search button. One of the options that came up is from a company named Flatline Ops. Their website can be found here: https://flatlineops.com/products/sights/glock-speed-sight (https://flatlineops.com/products/sights/glock-speed-sight)

They sell a set of sights called Speed Sights. These sights break away from the traditional in that they are diamond shaped instead of square. Instead of circular dots or square posts, there are diamonds. Two diamonds in the rear sight, and one big honking diamond for the front sight.They offer different colors for the front sight, and I chose orange. They also offer night sights with tritium as an option. I also chose that.

I ordered the Night sights with orange front diamond in late August of this year and have been shooting with the sight system ever since. I have over 3,000 rds fired from the gun using these sights.

Let me get to the review as all the info I posted so far is available in the link:

Initial impression: The sights arrived at my house well packaged and full of advertisement goodies, and very clear instructions. They also shipped fast. The sights oozed quality when I pulled them out of their baggie. They just felt solid. They are well made, the diamonds are crisp, and the tritium vials are centered within the diamonds. All in all just a very well made product. The rear sight has a set screw. Installation was a breeze and the sights fit perfectly onto my Glock 21.

Here you can see the front sight. It is big and orange. I have had no issues to date picking up the front sight in any lighting condition.

Here you can see the rear sight. The diamonds are white and very visible as well.

The sights in use: I will admit that I very much had some reservations concerning the sight system before I started using it. I didn’t think I’d be able to shoot precisely and accurately. I expected larger groups with the trade-off being that I’d be able to acquire the target fast and get body hits on a torso target faster. I was pleasantly surprised.
Here are my 25 yard load work up targets using these sights.These were shot from a rest with my forearms rested on a bag:

Here are 2 targets I shot today. The target on the left has 36 shots fired on it from 15 yards standing unsupported. The load for the 15 yard target was 200 gr plated HP over 5.6 gr of Bullseye. Sorry, but the sights don’t make up for poor trigger control. The target on the right has 36 rds fired on it from 20 yards. I was standing and leaned over the bench resting my forearms on a bag. 24 rds were 230 gr plated RN over AA#7 and 12 reds of 200 gr plated HP over Bullseye.

So my reservations were unfounded as this is about how I shoot with standard sights.

My last set of targets are my scaled down bad guy targets. These were fired from 15 yds standing unsupported. For these targets I drew from the holster and fired a controlled pair as fast as I could acquire the target. 36 shots fired per target and once again the sights do not make up for poor trigger control…

Summary: I find the Flatline Ops speed sights to be very good sights. They are high quality, the tritium is very bright, accuracy was not degraded, and they work as advertised. The only bad I can say about the sights is that they are expensive. However, for a 10 year life on the tritium it comes out to about $17.00 per year. If you’re looking for solid set of sights, then these are an option to consider and I recommend them.